Do you have a guitar strap jones?

multi-useless

Reaction score
I'm surprised you had a hard time finding the crime scene tape strap. I seem to recall seeing it frequently on the racks. Glad you found one after such a wait!
In all fairness, it's not like I was going to GC and looking for one every week, and I didn't even try for most of my 20's and 30's... but even then when I did look online again last year, out of stock (at least in the few places I looked). So yeah, for such a popular and common strap, it somehow managed to evade me for a very long time - which made finding one all the more satisfying.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Maybe?

There are a couple more that are not hung here....
View attachment 527543
nice collection of strappage, also demonstrative of one of the main reasons I started building my own.
Why do manus feel that we are all 5 foot 10 and need a 51 inch strap at max? Mine were sitting on the last loop, were still too short, made me feel like a damn clown. And, it's not really very secure. If you go through at least a couple loops and weave, it's quite a bit safer. Careful with those ladder sides sir. I've repaired a few, and have heard the stories when they let go.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I think "jones" means something more along the lines of a current appetite impetus rather than an obsession, which suggests a much longer and slightly mental neediness. Jonesing for a cup of coffee and a bagel can be completely relieved by those two items, and may not occur again for quite a while. An obsession with, say, Eiza Gonzales, could be unhealthy and lifelong. And completely understandable.
I recall in the 70s, when the term was more common, seeing Lou Rawls interviewed on Merv Griffin or Mike Douglas, whichever, and he said his teenage son had a "T-shirt jones." Iron-on graphics on T-shirts were big then, so I took him to mean his son liked collecting them. You're usage is familiar, too, now that I think of it. If one joneses for an item that is not consumed, then he joneses again for another of the same item, then a collection, or certainly an accumulation, of said item will result.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
I don't consider it a "Collection" per se, but I do generally have a 1 guitar, 1 strap policy. And they ALL get Schaller strap locks.

It started with finding a particular type of Strap, with a pick-pocket. So each guitar/case got a "pairing" - and I tried to choose a pattern / image / color that went with the specific guitar.

That was working, until I found a specific type of woven strap that was really comfortable. Then I bought several of those, in the same color. Then I switched colors when the guitar paint or color didn't work with the Black, or Brown that I had come to like.

Then I decided that my "Good" Les Paul "deserved" a padded Levi's strap.

So I have some that are specifically matched aesthetically. And some that are matched just for color, or "feel". Or how many $ I am willing to spend on that particular guitar ? And of course, I have some guitars where the strap button is on the Back of the guitar, requiring that the Straplock be installed in the "reverse" direction.

There's like a matrix of the logic used. That only I know, and understand. Basically, it's just an excuse that I tell myself to spend more money on my hobby.

ETA: I don't play outside of my house. Except for when I go to lessons.

Oh, and I have a tuner in the case for almost every guitar. I'm a perfect consumer.
Man, you are IN deep at this point, bil. Thank you for sharing... :wave:

BTW, I have never heard of 'Jones' equaling 'obsesson'

'Jonesing', yes, means one is detoxing.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Thank you for putting up the link. if anyone here is interested in the progress of the "Sunflower" carve let me know, I'll detail it here somewere
I see it on insta! It is a beauty. You are quite skilled, sir.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I like a strap that isn't flashy at all and pretty much disappears for all intents and purposes.
I get that. There's a men's fashion maxim that says, if you notice what a man is wearing, he probably made a mistake. (In other words, a fuchsia tux is probably a bad idea.) This is why the comparison to neckties came to mind. That's one area where a guy can be a little bold if he feels like it. Just a splash of color or design against an otherwise traditional suit.

I am not a working musician, and if I were I would probably be subtle in the strap choice for public performances. But some straps can be unique without flash. Like TVvoodoo's stuff. Your have to be up close to see the fine detail.

Last edited:

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
The problem with a really great strap is, people start complimenting your hundred-fifty dollar strap, but stop mentioning your $2,700 guitar. That'll drive a guy a little crazy. This is why in my opinion all Les Pauls or more expensive guitars are best hung on a $14.99 non-descript poly shoulder pounder. This way you can also really feel that instrument and never forget it's there. :rofl:Even three hours after your rehearsal.

dspelman

Reaction score
I recall in the 70s, when the term was more common, seeing Lou Rawls interviewed on Merv Griffin or Mike Douglas, whichever, and he said his teenage son had a "T-shirt jones." Iron-on graphics on T-shirts were big then, so I took him to mean his son liked collecting them. You're usage is familiar, too, now that I think of it. If one joneses for an item that is not consumed, then he joneses again for another of the same item, then a collection, or certainly an accumulation, of said item will result.
Which is why I have an accumulation. Serial joneseseses.

dspelman

Reaction score
I get that. There's a men's fashion maxim that says, if you notice what a man is wearing, he probably made a mistake.
I have had women who can spot an expensive suit way across a crowded room. Closer up and they'll tell you where he had it tailored and who's likely to have made the shirt (and if it's handmade as well). They'll identify the shoes and they'll know if they're hand made, and they can tell you within $25 how much he paid for his haircut. They will have identified the watch at ten paces. Clothes maketh the man.

OTOH, they will also have identified whether that same guy has real money or is a pretender and will have made guesses as to his actual personal wealth that would astound their CPAs. They will even identify his personality type in the fly by. You can spot their evaluation by either an abrupt U-turn away from their prey or by their not so very subtle blockage of potential competitors as they walk up. The hair flip, shy eye contact and perfect smile announce that the top of the food chain has arrived. The dorsal fin barely breaks the water.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
(And do the youngsters still say "jones" when they mean obsession?)

Personally I don't, but I can imagine how someone might develop one. When I started working in office environments, before business casual dress took over, I found I enjoyed looking for colorful but not-too-loud neckties.

Lately I've found myself scrolling through screens and screens of guitar straps, thinking which might go well with my guitars. I think it started when I tried looking for a replacement for the Dunlop-Lucky 13 strap pictured here that went missing after a sticky fingered house guest stayed too long. I bought it before I had a suitable guitar to pair it with. Then when I got my cherry red ES-339, I thought the Lucky 13 would fit it perfectly, but when I went looking for it, it was gone.

View attachment 527421

Any strap collectors here? Anyone have this particular strap they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable sum?

Even if not, if you have a collection you're proud of, or just one or two you really like, you probably have a picture of it. Let us have a look.
I have many more straps than guitars. I like each guitar to have its own unique strap semi-permanently attached. I never take them off, until I find a new strap that tickles my fancy.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I have had women who can spot an expensive suit way across a crowded room. Closer up and they'll tell you where he had it tailored and who's likely to have made the shirt (and if it's handmade as well). They'll identify the shoes and they'll know if they're hand made, and they can tell you within $25 how much he paid for his haircut. They will have identified the watch at ten paces. Clothes maketh the man.

OTOH, they will also have identified whether that same guy has real money or is a pretender and will have made guesses as to his actual personal wealth that would astound their CPAs. They will even identify his personality type in the fly by. You can spot their evaluation by either an abrupt U-turn away from their prey or by their not so very subtle blockage of potential competitors as they walk up. The hair flip, shy eye contact and perfect smile announce that the top of the food chain has arrived. The dorsal fin barely breaks the water.
I have worked with a doctor from a three-letter group who has made the above into a science. That Doc can tell pretty much everything about someone by looking at just one picture of the target. We use some of that science in business meetings and such to try to get an edge on the other party.

Latest Threads