Do you have a guitar strap jones?

LuckyDan

Reaction score
(And do the youngsters still say "jones" when they mean obsession?)

Personally I don't, but I can imagine how someone might develop one. When I started working in office environments, before business casual dress took over, I found I enjoyed looking for colorful but not-too-loud neckties.

Lately I've found myself scrolling through screens and screens of guitar straps, thinking which might go well with my guitars. I think it started when I tried looking for a replacement for the Dunlop-Lucky 13 strap pictured here that went missing after a sticky fingered house guest stayed too long. I bought it before I had a suitable guitar to pair it with. Then when I got my cherry red ES-339, I thought the Lucky 13 would fit it perfectly, but when I went looking for it, it was gone.

IMG_25032021_143416_(300_x_480_pixel).jpg

Any strap collectors here? Anyone have this particular strap they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable sum?

Even if not, if you have a collection you're proud of, or just one or two you really like, you probably have a picture of it. Let us have a look.

Last edited:

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't consider it a "Collection" per se, but I do generally have a 1 guitar, 1 strap policy. And they ALL get Schaller strap locks.

It started with finding a particular type of Strap, with a pick-pocket. So each guitar/case got a "pairing" - and I tried to choose a pattern / image / color that went with the specific guitar.

That was working, until I found a specific type of woven strap that was really comfortable. Then I bought several of those, in the same color. Then I switched colors when the guitar paint or color didn't work with the Black, or Brown that I had come to like.

Then I decided that my "Good" Les Paul "deserved" a padded Levi's strap.

So I have some that are specifically matched aesthetically. And some that are matched just for color, or "feel". Or how many $ I am willing to spend on that particular guitar ? And of course, I have some guitars where the strap button is on the Back of the guitar, requiring that the Straplock be installed in the "reverse" direction.

There's like a matrix of the logic used. That only I know, and understand. Basically, it's just an excuse that I tell myself to spend more money on my hobby.

ETA: I don't play outside of my house. Except for when I go to lessons.

Oh, and I have a tuner in the case for almost every guitar. I'm a perfect consumer.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I don't consider it a "Collection" per se, but I do generally have a 1 guitar, 1 strap policy.
2 or more of something is a collection.

I play in a chair or on the sofa, so really for me a strap is pointless. I just like having them, like they are part of the instrument.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Do I have a strap jones, not right now. That's a very kinky area... There.

multi-useless

Reaction score
2 or more of something is a collection.
By that logic, we’re all underwear collectors...

But yeah, I like straps that are cool, or just “fit” a guitar for whatever reason (color, design, etc). Here’s the one I’m most proud of right now -
03AAC88E-35B5-4078-9ECE-67828216FC2C.jpeg

I first saw one of these probably in my mid teens - always wanted one, always looked whenever I’d go in GC but never found one, and eventually gave up on it when I went acoustic. Got back into electrics and finally saw one at GC a few weeks ago, had to have it. And I figure 25 years of waiting on a strap justifies a guitar to go with it, so a couple weeks later I bought a used Epi on the cheap. They go together perfectly :)

LuckyDan

Reaction score
By that logic, we’re all underwear collectors...
I don't know that it's logic but it is an archivist's definition of the proper quantity of a given item to be called a collection, and I will bet there are those who buy only designer underwear, or a certain style, or fabric, or whatever, and yes they would be termed collectors.

I'm surprised you had a hard time finding the crime scene tape strap. I seem to recall seeing it frequently on the racks. Glad you found one after such a wait!

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I figure 25 years of waiting on a strap justifies a guitar to go with it, so a couple weeks later I bought a used Epi on the cheap. They go together perfectly :)
That reminds me of why Prince bought his Hohner leopard pickguard Tele when he saw it in a pawn shop. It went with his leopard print strap.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
OMG, my onetime guitar strap jones ten years ago eventually turned into something entirely different. Back then, I was highly unsatisfied with what I could buy, so I started designing and making my own.

Over time it turned me on to other rewarding crafty pursuits such as sewing and leatherwork. Today's result is "Sunflower" a work in progress... 54" fixed length, 3" wide.... but man, what an intense carve. Today I went through three Sabbath albums, and one Priest, just tap-tap-tapping away.

This one not for my own use, but I can safely say I have a rather magnificent collection of guitar straps. Anyone interested in guitar slings is welcome to visit my media gallery which might please any local strapoholics.

Better straps are one of the most often underlooked gear stable enhancements. They allow you to play longer, and better, and bring far more lasting joy to a stable than that fuzz flavoured pedal of the week will, guaranteed. :cheers:

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
These two are my favorites for metal show guitars.

A classic lightning bolt Levy's, not terribly original but so many rockers are slinging guitars with one, call it an homage to the greats.

The other is a custom bullet strap that my drummer surprise ordered for my birthday a long time ago. I have a lot of torso so not much fits me right, they actually laughed at him over the phone when he gave them the legth. Pairs perfectly with pointy stuff or Motorhead shirts. Weights a ton with all the .308 blanks but when you strap up with it and pretty much any B.C. Rich and sound check with Slayer's, South Of Heaven, your audience knows and prepares for the fact there's going to be a pit.

I have a really comfortable lightweight Fender Tweed strap for my Tele. It gets the lions share of work when there's nobody watching.

And since I'm a guitar nerd here's one that's over the top dorky. Pretty sure it's another Levy's.

There's no other pic I could figure out that doesn't hide the matching strap.

My next two will be these.

3" wide Franklin Glove Leather. The Cadillac. Amazingly comfortable!

Then a two-tone Cobra belly to match my Iced Tea R8. Like this but honey and iced tea from AF Designs

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have one nice, comfortable brown leather strap that I use for every guitar and that's it!

Meatwad

Reaction score
I have a strap for each of my guitars.
My favorite is one that I had custom made way back in the 80's.
The snakeskin thing was big back then, and I was a big Randy Rhoads fan.
I wanted one like the cover on Guitar Player that came out right after RR passed away.

There was a Tandy leather store close to my house, and a lady that worked there and made belts agreed to make a strap for me like the one on the cover.
I had an Ibanez Artist doubleneck that used it for.....which I foolishly sold.
I also ended up trading the strap in a deal with my bass playing cousin.
For years I tried to get it back, but it became his favorite, and he used it in various bands for around 25-30 years.
He's all but quit playing, so one night when we were talking, I asked him about it again.
"Come on over and get it.....I'm not gonna use it anymore."

LuckyDan

Reaction score
OMG, my onetime guitar strap jones ten years ago eventually turned into something entirely different. Back then, I was highly unsatisfied with what I could buy, so I started designing and making my own.

Anyone interested in guitar slings is welcome to visit my media gallery which might please any local strapoholics.

Better straps are one of the most often underlooked gear stable enhancements. They allow you to play longer, and better, and bring far more lasting joy to a stable than that fuzz flavoured pedal of the week will, guaranteed. :cheers:
I agree. And I found your media gallery here https://www.mylespaul.com/media/albums/well-hung-guitar-straps.8104/

And I'm following you on instagram now. Nice work!

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Thank you for putting up the link. if anyone here is interested in the progress of the "Sunflower" carve let me know, I'll detail it here somewere

dspelman

Reaction score
(And do the youngsters still say "jones" when they mean obsession?)
I think "jones" means something more along the lines of a current appetite impetus rather than an obsession, which suggests a much longer and slightly mental neediness. Jonesing for a cup of coffee and a bagel can be completely relieved by those two items, and may not occur again for quite a while. An obsession with, say, Eiza Gonzales, could be unhealthy and lifelong. And completely understandable.

I've got a lot of guitars and most, sadly, don't have dedicated straps. When a jones rears its ugly head, it's usually Well-Hung (see the Reverb store) that has something (or can make me something) to scratch the itch.

There's no Wall of Straps hidden in a secret room. Yet.

efstop

Declining Rotten Apple
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm short a couple of straps of having one for each guitar. The Italia pair I bought are likely my nicest ones. I have two tweed ones, a Gibson lightning bolt, some Gibson straps that came with the guitars, and one L&M strap that seems to be a Gibson clone. The rest I'd have to open cases to see, but nothing fancy, really. I don't like anything ornate or complicated in design. My ex found my old strap that I thought I lost long ago. She found it after moving a while back. I have to go get it. It's a wide, soft leather strap that a friend of mine put a bit of color and design into about 45 years ago. I wouldn't have the same thing done now, but I'll be happy to have it back.

Chango Malo

Reaction score
nope. It's either a classic fender style 1/2" strap with shoulder pad, or the generic Ernie Ball 2" nylon strap in black. Fancy straps, especially wide leather ones, look silly IMHO. I do have one on every electric that's in gig rotation, and one on the national. For the mandolins and mandola I have some lengths of hand woven 1/2" banding that stays on each instrument. F style instruments are funky, you end up having to loop one end of the strap around the scroll. I'm one of those guys who play mandolin with the strap just over the right shoulder so it's pretty short as well.
I like a strap that isn't flashy at all and pretty much disappears for all intents and purposes.

Latest Threads