Do you have a favorite import STRAT copy? Brand, model, mods???

old mark

Reaction score
Looking at several strat copies - Samick, Yamaha maybe 1 or 2 others stand out.
Do you have a non Fender strat you really like, what is it and why do you like it?
(Music Go Round is selling many pages of used strat copies for dirt cheap)...I don't even need one, but...you know how that goes...

I have to stop looking at guitar ads when I have a few bucks...
FWIW, my strats are all older Standard Squiers...they are hard to beat.

Thanks for any thoughts...

acstorfer

Reaction score
I’ve never played one but I’ve heard quite a few people rave over Yamaha Strats.

judson

Reaction score
i had not owned a strat in over 20 years, stumbled onto an early 90's CN Fender Squire from a pawnshop ebay deal...(far right was the first) i was hooked on the neck. Cort factory made them, i now own three, bought them all for the necks.

have posted this pic in most of the strat threads here and keep threatning to turn the dark stained one to surf green soon....it will happen, stay tuned, less than $500 into all three, luv em.....

oh wait you said non fender, nevermind.

strats.jpg

Last edited:

El Pablo

Reaction score
Another fan of G&L.
A bud of mine plays really nice Carvin (oops, not import).

I assume super-strat is different discussion.

old mark

Reaction score
I just ordered a Huntington Strat all off-white, rosewood board, 3 single coils, basswood body, maple neck...comes with a gig bag and some other stuff...
Total, including shipping and tax-seller is in-state-$90, new in box...Heard demos online, sounds good clean...Body is solid wood, not laminate, and I have a set of Fender Grease Bucket pups around someplace as well as a 2
rail humbucker that fits strat cutouts, if needed...Here in a few days...

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have lots of Strat copies. My favorite is the '80's Ibanez Blazer Custom. Ibby went overboard. Ash bodies. One of mine has a solid brass bridge. The necks are really good. Find one on ebay and check it out.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
It's the most copied electric guitar. There are many out there to choose from. I think the Yamaha Pacifica is one of the best bang for your buck guitars, and a fine Strat copy.

JCarno

Reaction score
I have an 80s Charvel Strat style guitar that I think is made of plywood. I put a new wiring harness and a mix of pups that David Gilmour used. I know the bridge pup is a DG SSL-1 or something like that. Can't remember what the other two are but it does the strat thing quite good.
I did own a an American Standard Fender Strat that got stolen and never bothered replacing it because the Charvel fills the void.
Good Luck!! :cheers2:

Caretaker

Reaction score
The only strats I`ve really loved were ones I built.
Partsocasters.
Usually a Warmoth or Allparts neck, whatever quality body, decent hardware and pickups depend on what it`s for(Blues, metal, all purpose, etc).

mdubya

Reaction score
In the 90's, we had a local shop that sold all import guitars: Epiphone, Fernandez, Squier, and so forth. When I wanted a Strat, my buddy and I went in and played every Strat in the shop. The best one (there were some really good Fernandez's in the shop) was an MIJ Squier. I own it to this day. All stock.

I wish I had shopped some of those guitars a bit harder. I can think of a nice white MIJ Epiphone Sheraton I wish I had bought.

DB Chuckster

Reaction score
In the 90's, we had a local shop that sold all import guitars: Epiphone, Fernandez, Squier, and so forth. When I wanted a Strat, my buddy and I went in and played every Strat in the shop. The best one (there were some really good Fernandez's in the shop) was an MIJ Squier. I own it to this day. All stock.

I wish I had shopped some of those guitars a bit harder. I can think of a nice white MIJ Epiphone Sheraton I wish I had bought.

DB Chuckster

Reaction score
My dad bought me an Epi Strat with the hockey stick headstock back in ‘89. It is the model with two humbuckers. To this day I don’t have a guitar with single coils. A few weeks ago I broke it out a jam and I had forgotten how cool that old guitar was.

old mark

Reaction score
In the 90's, we had a local shop that sold all import guitars: Epiphone, Fernandez, Squier,Overy Strat in the shop. The best one (there were some really good Fernandez's in the shop) was an MIJ Squier. I own it to this day. All stock.

I have 3 of the old Squiers...one of the best cheap. guitars ever...I change the whole trem and bridge assembly for all steel versions, Wilkersons, and they get even better.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I had an MiJ Squier that kicked ass. One of the dumber sell-offs I've made.

I've liked every Fernades Strat copy I've played, too. Off the rack in the store, very playable, and they nail the sounds.

mdubya

Reaction score
I had an MiJ Squier that kicked ass. One of the dumber sell-offs I've made.

I've liked every Fernades Strat copy I've played, too. Off the rack in the store, very playable, and they nail the sounds.

At the time, `'93/'94, people swore they were better than the real thing.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Being different beasts, I have two to show. One "improved" copy, One "real" Fender.
Both MIJ, both with vintage Kluson, best tuners ever.
images

Gary Levinson 1990 Blade Texas (MIJ by American luthier living in Swizerland...:hmm:)
2 pièces Alder body, flat-ish D shape flamey maple neck, 12" radius. Beautiful 3T Sunburst.
Great piece of wood overall that is comfortably aging.
Levinson own VSC active device for mid boost on one side and treble & bass boost on the other side.
Upgraded with Di Marzio HS4, HS2, HS3 (from N to B). I am a HM son of the 80's afterall...
Push-push for single coil/humbucker sound and N+B pups together.

Front.JPG
back.JPG

1987 Fender ST-54
2T Sunburst basswood 3 pieces body, soft V-shape flamey maple neck 7.25" radius.
Upgraded with a splitable SD Little '59 bridge, DM Area 67 Neck and a Bladerunner tremolo.
This one was so good I sold my MIA Strat standard.

Here are the beauties together.

Duo de Strat.JPG

Latest Threads