Do you have a dream car from the past?

RustyNuts

Reaction score
1970 Split Bumper Camaro. When I was a teenager, my best friend's older brother had one, and I instantly fell in love with the car. not to mention the split bumper was a very limited run. 1 year only I believe.
The first gen Camaro's 67, 68 & 69 when equipped with the RS package had hideaway headlights. When the bodystyle change was made in 1970 the split bumper is what defined the RS package instead of hideaway headlights. If I'm not mistaken the split bumper RS package was available until 1973. In 1974 front and rear end changes were made again with more euro style safety bumpers etc...

Your pic would be a 1970 RS Z/28 or a clone of one.

I had a 69 RS Z/28 silver with black stripes back in the mid 70's. I sold it when I got married to my first wife... if I only knew then what I know now.
Shelbyblues is correct. The Rally Sport (RS) option for all four years included the split bumper and round turn signals. I never liked the non-RS version, it looked too much like a Vega to me.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i guess im driving the dream...2015 camaro RS .dark metallic blue with silver rallye stripes.its got all the goodies this old man has come to love.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I used to have several "dream cars" actually. Back when I didn't have the cash to buy one, and dealers were very hesitant to give a 16 year old buy a test-drive -- even accompanied. With sufficient maturity (old age actually) dealers were more than happy to let me test drive "dream cars," and I actually accumulated the cash to buy some of them! What I found is that I didn't like many of them after I drove them. So I no longer have "dream cars" that I haven't driven.

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are all two wheeled. I really want a Desmo. The problem is not being able to ride it a lot. They require too much maintenance and I'd want to be able to put a few thousand miles a year on it.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to All who have participated or just read.

How practical would it be to put modern guts in a 72 Chevelle and where would i even begin to find someone reputable?

I want it as an every day vehicle like my Challenger, not a show car.

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Thanks to All who have participated or just read.

How practical would it be to put modern guts in a 72 Chevelle and where would i even begin to find someone reputable?

I want it as an every day vehicle like my Challenger, not a show car.
That would be what is defined as a resto-mod. Very common these days.

If you aren't a purist collector type it would be the way to go if you have the funds.

The best of both worlds really.

If I decided I wanted another "play toy" type car and wanted the old school body style that would be what I would want. I have lost my desire to wrench...gett'n to old and I bruise to easily...:laugh2:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be what is defined as a resto-mod. Very common these days.

If you aren't a purist collector type it would be the way to go if you have the funds.

The best of both worlds really.

If I decided I wanted another "play toy" type car and wanted the old school body style that would be what I would want. I have lost my desire to wrench...gett'n to old and I bruise to easily...:laugh2:
Thanks so very much, Shelbyblues. I know enough about Les Pauls to be dangerous, but I don't even know where to begin. Now, knowing the term "restomod" is a beginning.

The "old school body style" is why I dig my Challenger so so much.

QuicksilverSS

Reaction score
1969 Z/28 RS with the JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 speed and Cross Ram with 2 4 BBL Carbs in Marina Blue with white stripes..

Or another 73 Z/28 WITH M22 4 speed, camel hump heads, Z/28 Solid Lifter Off Road Cammed, 3:73 geared monster that I bought in 1981..

Also my 75 Corvette Roadster.. both of mine at 22 years old.

My current beast is my 2014 SS/RS M6 .. Love it!!

Darkburst

Reaction score
Lots of sweet cars posted!

I have a '77 Firebird that I'm slowly resto-modding into a pro touring style build. Hotchkis suspension, 18x9 Rally II style wheels. Eventually 6 piston brakes with 13" rotors and modern LS engine since it came from the factory without a Pontiac motor. Also because California laws for engine swaps are idiotic...

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Thanks so very much, Shelbyblues. I know enough about Les Pauls to be dangerous, but I don't even know where to begin. Now, knowing the term "restomod" is a beginning.

The "old school body style" is why I dig my Challenger so so much.
Restomod in my mind means restored and modified with modern components.

I was 16 in 69 and had a slew of the old musclecars back in the late 60's and 70's. I can tell you from experience those cars gave you trouble when they were new. Old technology. There is a trade-off if you want it.

That's why my last two performance car purchases were brand new. Dollar for dollar they were the smarter buy for me. Brand new, reliable, warranty, can sit in the garage all winter on a battery tender and fire right up in the spring without having to spend half a day getting it running right, can drive it across the country and get good fuel mileage on the highway (when not beating on it)....and in factory form with neither one being modded the new will out perform the old.

YMMV

Latest Threads