Do you feed your dog...

dissaffected

Reaction score
OK this will drive everyone nuts. We feed our 3 GSPs raw. Raw burger and raw chicken mainly/ Lard thrown in. Sardines every so often. Organ meat 1 or 2x per week. Some veggie matter like peas green beans or cole slaw mix. Maybe a few berries. Some dairy. Plus whatever is getting dated in the fridge. Vet recommended. No teeth plaque. Small poops. Before someone goes off on chicken...raw with bones is fine....cooked is not... according to Doc Bob.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Our Sheltie..Charlie...otherwise known as "Chuck" or "Chuck, dog of action"... gets tidbits of food. Since I do the cooking in our house, if he sees or hears me in the kitchen clanging knives he is right there waiting, cuz he knows I am going to throw something his way. We still feed him premium dog food, and if he shows any indication he is waiting for "something better" from the kitchen counter, then the tidbits stop. gotta eat the right stuff first.

But... he loves bananas...I mean seriously.

He can be 3 rooms over, upstairs, downstairs, doesn't matter...I peel a banana and he will be right there in front of me waiting for his piece. And our previous Sheltie, Haazi, was the same way...just LOVED bananas.

And we have had Sheltie's for over 25 years. Chuck is getting up there...he is going on 14 years, which is OLD for a Sheltie. Normal life expectancy is 12-15 years.

MSB

Reaction score
yep, but only a few things, loves veggies though and stalks the little one as he's not too watchful of his food yet.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our Sheltie..Charlie...otherwise known as "Chuck" or "Chuck, dog of action"... gets tidbits of food. Since I do the cooking in our house, if he sees or hears me in the kitchen clanging knives he is right there waiting, cuz he knows I am going to throw something his way. We still feed him premium dog food, and if he shows any indication he is waiting for "something better" from the kitchen counter, then the tidbits stop. gotta eat the right stuff first.

But... he loves bananas...I mean seriously.

He can be 3 rooms over, upstairs, downstairs, doesn't matter...I peel a banana and he will be right there in front of me waiting for his piece. And our previous Sheltie, Haazi, was the same way...just LOVED bananas.

And we have had Sheltie's for over 25 years. Chuck is getting up there...he is going on 14 years, which is OLD for a Sheltie. Normal life expectancy is 12-15 years.
1579917037126.png

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Rag,
What is Holistic Health? A premium dog food. And no I have not googled it.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Oh...I forgot carrots! Loves to crunch on them.
My golden used to spit them out. My wife would try to make him eat them and he would stealthily hide them in his mouth and the spit them out when she wasn't watching. :)

RAG7890

Reaction score
Rag,
What is Holistic Health? A premium dog food. And no I have not googled it.
Just went & took a few pics of the Bag Mark, front & back.

This is what out Breeder always uses & she's a gun with ~ 40 years of breeding behind her.

Seems to work really well so we have not changed things.

IMG_6871.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

Cheers, Rudi

RAG7890

Reaction score
Rag,
I am going to check that stuff out. I appreciate you providing the picks.
................anytime. :thumbs:

He also LOVES Bananas...............he's a Ninja Warrior when it comes to Bananas. I could be in the next State & he'd just know. LMAO.

Good luck with the Dry Food, hope it works for you.

I didn't mention but I always add a little lukewarm water to his Breakfast & Dinner just to soften the dry food a little.

Big chested Hounds are prone to bloat, hence feeding twice oer day & letting the dry food soak a little.

Cheers, Rudi

RAG7890

Reaction score
I should also add that my Dog's Coat is like Silk. Everyone that has patted his Coat remarks on how smooth & silky it is compared to their or other Dogs...............even those way younger.

Cannot emphasize the benefits of Sardines enough when it comes to Dogs, great for their Coat & their Joints etc.

:cheers2:

elephantrider

Reaction score
my two danes get kibble and gravy only. peanut butter for pills. pig ear treats. they've never tasted humans or human food.

meatball

Reaction score
My Dobie is allergic to beef and chicken, and my niece said table scraps will give him projectile diarrhea, so........

NO!!
He gets Taste of the Wild salmon based food, along with some special treats like pig ears now and then.
......plus, he likes to eat firewood and dryer lint.

Weirdo.
My brother thought it was funny to give my Dobie Pork and Beans .... It was a projectile disaster ,,,

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course. When Remi (1/2 Pitbull, 1/2 American Bulldog) used to make with those lamps when I would come home from work, or especially if I was BBQ'g steak, I couldn't say no.

One of her favorite treats was Triscuts with a little peanut butter.

She only snacked human food, but her two main meals were dry dog food with a little water.

Her one flaw was the one that got her killed … she'd bolt. She got away from the step daughter one day and got T-boned by a pick up and that was that. I miss that stupid dog.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Be careful when feeding your dog too many human foods it may not agree with their GI tRACT.