Do you ever see a maple tree...

archey

Reaction score
and wish that you could see what the lumber from it would look like? My job requires me to drive all over Indiana. I see maples that I could almost guarantee are figured. I came across this old maple and just had to take a picture. I'm no expert when it comes to spotting curly maple just from the bark, but this is at least burled.
20220527_133659.jpg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
only once a huge specimen I discovered in the lake district it was effing huge, I did start a thread on it last year. seem to have lost pic off phone.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Few people witnessing your lustful gaze at a tree would understand quite how it stirs those of us in the Les Paul world…

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I can actually tell by looking closely at the bark.

We had a huge maple taken down in our front yard, a couple of years ago, and I kept telling my wife, that I knew that it was going to be really figured. Sure enough, when they were cutting it up, most of it was. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to save any of it, as A.) I don't have a place to store it, and B.) no way of cutting it into usable blanks.

Here's one of the leftover logs, here you can just barely see some of the pin stripe flame:

20220928_155338.jpg

archey

Reaction score
I can actually tell by looking closely at the bark.

We had a huge maple taken down in our front yard, a couple of years ago, and I kept telling my wife, that I knew that it was going to be really figured. Sure enough, when they were cutting it up, most of it was. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to save any of it, as A.) I don't have a place to store it, and B.) no way of cutting it into usable blanks.

Here's one of the leftover logs, here you can just barely see some of the pin stripe flame:

View attachment 638850
I've heard that bark is really thick and practically peeling off the tree is an indicator of being curly. But yes, also looking at the bark itself for hints of figure is also another indicator. Just things I've heard. I'm not a lumberjack.

Leee

Reaction score

Leee

Reaction score
Before these guys came along, I never in my life connected the sound of a saxophone with a chainsaw.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Professional "wood scouters" who go looking for curly and quilted maple trees to mark for harvesting get pretty good at detecting figure in standing trees, and will remove a small section of bark to verify it in some cases.

As the tree gets older and bigger, the intensity of the figure increases. It's never very much near the center of the tree. The outer layers are where the figure is strongest. So let that tree grow, and it just keeps getting better, to a point.

Latest Threads