Do you enjoy something more or less when you understand the complexity of it?

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
I can't say the fascination ever ceases for me. I'm forever researching anything engineering related, in particular cars, aircraft/aviation (my dream job), trains, and engines of all types. It fascinates the heck out of me.

For instance, I know exactly how engines work, but they still amaze me. I can hold a con rod or a valve and think "that's friggin' awesome". Jet engines aswell, I think those are one of the most beautiful and fascinating marvels of engineering ever created.

Worth knowing... I'm a big nerd. I spend my spare time just looking up how random components work in aircraft or other vehicles. Just today I was researching how the ADIRS (inertial reference system) works on Airbus A320's. Which, btw, was very interesting.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I appreciate things more when I understand them. I like going down the rabbit-hole and learning deeper and deeper complexities.

But it has to be something I'm genuinely interested in.

Otherwise it's just annoying bullshit I have to learn.

Last edited:

Fracture

Reaction score
I can't believe they've got one there :facepalm: it's like if Domino's was franchised in Italy. It don't make any sense
View attachment 530174
there's one 11 miles away or so in very robust retail district - it's odd
I swear it was liking walking into a play - or people were pretending
to be euro or something
standard attire was skinny jeans and the waist length / collarless leather
jacket - - in the requisite black

the meatballs are good - but probably wouldn't buy them frozen to bring home

by far the best product that sell - ORDNING utensil basket @ $2.99
have had one for 10 years - great for bachelor rinses and prevents
knives and such from spelunking into the disposal
their kitchen stuff is interesting - but open pantry design can mean
a lot clanking during food prep and clean up

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
When I like something, I tend to go all in and study the history of whatever it is, find out how it works, study all of the different flavors/versions of it and generally try to become a subject matter expert on it....probably just like most of you fine folks. Sometimes, I'm still into whatever it is, after I've learned all about it.

I sort of wish I wasn't like this and could learn to just enjoy things without all the extra stuff.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
there's one 11 miles away or so in very robust retail district - it's odd
I swear it was liking walking into a play - or people were pretending
to be euro or something
standard attire was skinny jeans and the waist length / collarless leather
jacket - - in the requisite black

the meatballs are good - but probably wouldn't buy them frozen to bring home

by far the best product that sell - ORDNING utensil basket @ $2.99
have had one for 10 years - great for bachelor rinses and prevents
knives and such from spelunking into the disposal
their kitchen stuff is interesting - but open pantry design can mean
a lot clanking during food prep and clean up

It would be so funny if it turned out to be an amusement thing for them. Jumping in the car, driving down to IKEA to laugh at the silliness and take some pictures eating swedish meatballs. :laugh2:

Foo for Thought

Reaction score
Definitely more. I like to understand how things work. It's easy to take things for granted when you don't think about all the thought that went into it, how the decision was made to put certain parts together, etc.

I consider myself a life long student. There's always something new to learn.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Funny how we yet let ourselves get excited over something that's really snake oil, even though you could never understand the claims made about it and how it works.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I believe Mark Twain wrote something like “Two Ways to See a River”. The basic premise is that he saw the beauty and majesty of the Mississippi River. Then he became a riverboat pilot. All he saw at that point was the technicalities of navigating the river. He could never again see the pure beauty and majesty of the river. For me, not knowing the intricacies makes for a more fulfilling experience. Let me me take it to a base level, my level. Imagine you are receiving oral pleasure. Then imagine some doctor is narrating the physiology of the act In real time.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
I believe Mark Twain wrote something like “Two Ways to See a River”. The basic premise is that he saw the beauty and majesty of the Mississippi River. Then he became a riverboat pilot. All he saw at that point was the technicalities of navigating the river. He could never again see the pure beauty and majesty of the river. For me, not knowing the intricacies makes for a more fulfilling experience. Let me me take it to a base level, my level. Imagine you are receiving oral pleasure. Then imagine some doctor is narrating the physiology of the act In real time.
That wasn't necessary, I got it. Geezez :laugh2:

sonar1

Reaction score
I can't say the fascination ever ceases for me. I'm forever researching anything engineering related, in particular cars, aircraft/aviation (my dream job), trains, and engines of all types. It fascinates the heck out of me.

For instance, I know exactly how engines work, but they still amaze me. I can hold a con rod or a valve and think "that's friggin' awesome". Jet engines aswell, I think those are one of the most beautiful and fascinating marvels of engineering ever created.

Worth knowing... I'm a big nerd. I spend my spare time just looking up how random components work in aircraft or other vehicles. Just today I was researching how the ADIRS (inertial reference system) works on Airbus A320's. Which, btw, was very interesting.
Yes, when I was involved with technology the history of things was always an entertaining read.
When I read about the development of automotive front end geometry it was very interesting. It also made me a better mechanic or welder, to study things down to the basics.
But when I finally retired I lost a lot of drive for those types inquiries. I still have a passing interest in new stuff. Space X is fun to watch. I’ll still go to a locomotive museum and enjoy it etc.
To concentrate on details is harder now that I’m out of industry.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Yes, when I was involved with technology the history of things was always an entertaining read.
When I read about the development of automotive front end geometry it was very interesting. It also made me a better mechanic or welder, to study things down to the basics.
But when I finally retired I lost a lot of drive for those types inquiries. I still have a passing interest in new stuff. Space X is fun to watch. I’ll still go to a locomotive museum and enjoy it etc.
To concentrate on details is harder now that I’m out of industry.
Now that you are out of the industry, the details probably don't matter much any more.
The details probably used to be right in your forethought. Which is why you didn't really have to "think" about it. If you still find need for the "details". Make a cheat-sheet for yourself.

I find that with knowledge, "if you don't use it, you loose it"

I used to know the entire extended ASCII char set. Now I have to look up how to make a check mark with ALT & HEX values. At least I still remember it exists.

Getting old must have drove Cliff Claven (from Cheers) bonkers.

Latest Threads