Do these exist? Guitar Headphone amp with onboard mp3 player?

Angus

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I decided a guitar headphone amp with backing tracks would be very helpful for my practice, but I'm a bit of a dinosaur and wanted to avoid having to use a smartphone to control the backing tracks etc. I don't mind setting it up with a phonenow and again, but generally I want to just plug it in to guitar and headphones and go..... Can you buy one that takes an SD card or whatever and allows you to just play along with that? Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I decided a guitar headphone amp with backing tracks would be very helpful for my practice, but I'm a bit of a dinosaur and wanted to avoid having to use a smartphone to control the backing tracks etc. I don't mind setting it up with a phonenow and again, but generally I want to just plug it in to guitar and headphones and go..... Can you buy one that takes an SD card or whatever and allows you to just play along with that? Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.
Hey Angus, I have a puppy with your name!

I want one f those new Fender plug-in amps, the Mustang something or other. It works with Bluetooth, so you would use tracks or stream songs from your phone. I dunno if this is exactly what you want to avoid, but it looks incredibly portable and is getting some good reviews.

Good luck with your hunt!!

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What size a unit are you looking for?

Because most practice combo amps, have a headphone tap and an Aux in.

The Spark Amp has that, for one. You can plug a legacy MP3 playr into the Aux In. But, it also uses a tablet or phone app with some serious backing track capability.

Blackstar Fly, under $100 is small, battery powered, decent sounding, and has Headphone and aux in

Many like this, depends on your budget.

The Boss eBand JS series does exactly what you want, and actually has practice tracks loaded in, stock, with ability to add more (several ways, download, usb, etc). JS-10 can still be bought new for $400, $250 used. YOu might be able to get a JS-8, earlier iteration, for cheaper. Unit actually sounds good, both the modelling and just playing music.

Therre are modelling/multiFX pedals that have both an aux-in to run an mp3 player, or similar AND headphone jack. They range in price from under $100 for the Zoom G1, up to 100s even thousands.

So give us a budget?

Angus

Reaction score
What size a unit are you looking for?

So give us a budget?

Well, less is good! :)

I saw various ones that were around £40 but they relied on a phone or aux input for backing tracks, so I could probably go to £100 ($140) but maybe at that point I might as well get a secondhand Boss microBR or something similar.....

What would be ideal is one like the Vox/Fender/nu-x models but with an micro SD card included. If it's got something close to a clean a bluesie and a full on Hendrix, and the on board backing track option, I don't need much else.

whatshisname

Reaction score
I'm actually on my way to pickup my Mustang Micro. As stated above, it has the ability to connect through Bluetooth. So jamming along with tracks from your phone is easy.

Angus

Reaction score
Right, but that's exactly what I want to avoid.

LP1865

Reaction score
SD cards are obsolete at this point.
It would be easier to insert sd into your phone and use it, or get. a dedicated mp3 player. you can find some cheap for around $30-50

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Hah! When you said that, I assumed it was one of those colourful American expressions that meant you have exactly what I'm looking for. :)
Nope...and since I’m a proud puppy papa....

End thread highjack.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Buy an iPhone / iPad guitar plug adapter. Use a guitar amp app. Use Bluetooth headphones = profit. Not sure why you’d want to avoid that. ;)

Not sure if the amp app would work on top of a backing track on another simultaneous app running, but I bet something exists in the Apple App Store.

I bet garage band could do it to.

LP1865

Reaction score
If you're willing to spend a little more, you could just buy an interface and some monitors. Used, I think they would cost the same as an amp

Nard

Reaction score
aroma ag-03m
Look on Amazon for this. you can play backing tracks from a micro SD card and play along with clean, crunch or distortion. It has a headphone socket and will clip onto your belt or guitar strap. It’s rechargeable and you can record on it too. It’s cheap so won’t give you brilliant tone but for quiet practice it’s great. If you want more then the boss micro br is your best bet. The things you can do with it for such a small cheap 8 track can’t be beat IMO.

Angus

Reaction score
To answer my own question, I eventually found this:

AROMA AG-03M Portable Charging Mini Guitar Amplifier
AKA
ammoon AMP -01 5W Guitar Amp Recorder

It seems to be everything I want, the weak spot probably being the sound, but at the price I think I'll give one a try,

Last edited:

Latest Threads