Do the Grover Roto Screw Holes line up w/Vintage LP Kluson Lower Holes?

Lester

Reaction score
Per the description... If I buy some Grover Rotomatics (current stock), will the single centered screw hole in the bottom line up with the bottom hole from a vintage Kluson (Tulip, chrome) top/bottom screws? Guitar in question is a '77 LP Deluxe.

Will they fit otherwise in terms of hole diameter, head thickness, etc?

I don't want to mod this guitar at all... but better tuners wouldn't be a bad thing. The Klusons are kind of sloppy (since new).

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes and no.
The problem is tolerances through the years, sometimes they are exact, other times not.
Following the actual design drawings, they are about half a screw diameter off, but often there is enough "slop" in the hole to allow the screw to line up.

MiniB shared this a few weeks ago:

Keep in mind that the washers are larger than your Kluson bushings, so they will leave witness marks on the headstock if you go back to Kluson.

Edit: Just caught that you have a '77. The hole through the headstock may not be large enough to accept the Grover body.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I changed one that had Gotoh SD90 tuners (nearly identical to the Kluson vintage tuners) to Grovers a few months ago. The lower holes lined up quite well.

The harder part was removing the bushings as they were countersunk on the guitar I did. You will want to score around the bushings lip at top of the face of the headstock first to be certain you don't take any finish off with them as you pop them out. And then the holes must be enlarged with a tapered reamer to the 10 mm diameter of the Grovers. I used a cheap reamer to do it and it sure took me a long time! Eventually I need to add the nice headstock reamer from StewMac to my tool collection for just such a job. It has the correct taper for the Grovers and other 10mm diameter tuners.

Lester

Reaction score
So the tuners I have are the old school 8.5 mm vs. the modern / standard 10mm?

Lester

Reaction score
Thanks. The old thread covered it in detail.

Latest Threads