Do R8’s and R9’s sound the same?

golfnut

Reaction score
That's why you need to try 'em.

But for me, the frets are the key. I prefer the medium jumbos (R9) all day over the taller skinny frets of the R8.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my focus on wanting an R9 is cloudy. It seems that I could be looking for an R8 with a flame top and 9 neck profile.
When I was looking for my Martin Authentic D-28 1941 I knew exactly why I wanted that instead of an Authentic 1937. There was no confusion.

bluesoul

Reaction score
But for me, the frets are the key. I prefer the medium jumbos (R9) all day over the taller skinny frets of the R8.
It would be intersting to know a little more about fret wire history over the years. I believe that going back some years...all historics used the same spec wire.( leveling at the factory differered on ht.)

I have 6 mid 2000's Historics (R8's, a R9, a R6) and the frets are the same on each model.

Perhaps in recent years R8s and R9s have different frets?

Again...seems like it's all over the place like neck profiles :) try before ya buy if ya can!

filtersweep

Reaction score
It depends on the pickups more than anything. Most people cannot tell the difference between how a Standard and Reissue sounds— if the pickups are the same. And even if they sound different, it is a matter of taste which sounds better.

But a Reissue simply feels better.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
c'mon OP, everyone knows R9's sound better than R8's unless you're trying to sell an R8 to fund your R9 then the R8 will outclass and out tone any R9 ever made....

all kidding aside, as everyone said they're all different, the biggest differences will be in 'feel' factor. I've had astounding sounding guitars but the necks were huge, and I've had super top, super neck for me guitars sound like shit right out of the box. I could care less if the one which gels the most with me is an R8 or R9, as long as it feels good in my hands, and sounds good and plays good and has the ability to inspire me, then whatever R it is, is really meaningless.

brandall10

Reaction score
Haven't gone through much of this thread, but I do have a belief that generally speaking, heavier bodied guitars w/ thicker necks have more of a midrangey punch to them, a bit more sustain. And going in the other direction you can get more of a vocal quality to them.

It depends on what you're after, I guess, and nothing is for certain, but that's just my take playing LPs from the low 8 to mid 9 pound area. The lightest LP I ever played, a 60th R9 @ 8.1 pounds, was such an anemic sounding guitar that I was surprised a LP could even sound like that.

Luboy

Reaction score
That's why you need to try 'em.

the new R8 frets are not that much taller than the R9, i've tried both. they're only narrower, which is essentially better for intonation.

funkyguitarman

Reaction score
After playing my first R9 in a store, I knew that I had to do whatever to get one. I traded my 50s Standard and ES-135 towards a new 60th anniversary R9 which happened to be the first one I tried. Before going all in on my particular R9, I did the wise thing and tried a few other historics just to be certain in my initial assessment. I remember playing three R8s in a store that came from different years, can't remember exactly but they were certainly good guitars.

Only a couple of months went by after buying my R9 before jumping on a new R7. I was lucky that this particular store had two R7s. Both R7s sounded and played great, but I ultimately chose the one that sounded like my R9. My objective was to get another Reissue that came as close as possible to the R9 for a seamless backup. After spending over a year playing at home, band practice, and on stage, I can say that while the R7 and R9 have their differences, their tone is so close that I choose more based off what neck profile I feel like playing. They are that interchangeable for me.

Having said all that, a good Les Paul is a good Les Paul. I would certainly be happy with an R8, Standard, and a Classic. Somewhere down the road I could see myself going after an R8, especially one in tobacco/dark burst.

mdubya

Reaction score
R8s have authentic 1958 tone.

R9s have authentic 1959 tone.

superman_wolfingham.png

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Haven't gone through much of this thread, but I do have a belief that generally speaking, heavier bodied guitars w/ thicker necks have more of a midrangey punch to them, a bit more sustain. And going in the other direction you can get more of a vocal quality to them.

It depends on what you're after, I guess, and nothing is for certain, but that's just my take playing LPs from the low 8 to mid 9 pound area. The lightest LP I ever played, a 60th R9 @ 8.1 pounds, was such an anemic sounding guitar that I was surprised a LP could even sound like that.
If it’s your personal experience, cool, but if it’s a belief, you believe wrong.

brandall10

Reaction score
If it’s your personal experience, cool, but if it’s a belief, you believe wrong.
Lol... that's like, your opinion, man. Of course people are gonna be all jokey in a thread like this because why would an R8 sound any different than an R9... but the necks do trend bigger and the bodies trend heavier, so that is something to consider, and mass can make a difference.

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Lol... that's like, your opinion, man. Of course people are gonna be all jokey in a thread like this because why would an R8 sound any different than an R9... but the necks do trend bigger and the bodies trend heavier, so that is something to consider, and mass can make a difference.
The necks and are a little more fat on most R8’s, yes. Guitars that weigh more or fatter necks do not translate into better tone or sustain. I’ve got a R9 that weighs 8 lbs that is so crazy good in those catagories that Bonamassa even loved it when he played it.
Just trying to keep the OP from getting misinformation by the “heavier is better” “good wood” era BS. Lol

brandall10

Reaction score
The necks and are a little more fat on most R8’s, yes. Guitars that weigh more or fatter necks do not translate into better tone or sustain. I’ve got a R9 that weighs 8 lbs that is so crazy good in those catagories that Bonamassa even loved it when he played it.
Just trying to keep the OP from getting misinformation by the “heavier is better” “good wood” era BS. Lol
It's not misinformation... again, that's like your opinion man. Mass has an impact on tone - it's basic physics - full stop. No one said heavier is better, simply said there is a trend as you go up/down weight... and of course on a unit by unit basis certain guitars buck trends - I'm sure your guitar is amazing. That said there are plenty of folks on these forums who have sworn off the lightest lesters due to bad experiences in the past.

In any case I'm done here. This is wild it's even a remotely controversial observation, it certainly wasn't when I was more active on the forums 10+ years ago.

Last edited:

BSeneca

Reaction score
Better, different? As Victor said no two sound the same. BUT an R9 does not on the average sound better than and R8. You are paying for figure and that is all. The best reissue Ive ever had was the plainest of plain R8 Tobacco. I sold it like a fool for another endeavor. But when I bought my first Reissue in 2004 when I sold them I asked my rep "Why is the R9 $1500 more?" Without hesitation he told me because of the top. That is all. You can believe anything you want but that is all. And I have owned 9 historics

Luboy

Reaction score
heavier is not better, but it almost always means more sustain. run the racks again and you'll see (of course they need to be set up well to begin with).

Latest Threads