Do plain tops, gold tops really sound better than flame tops?

Do Gold and Plain tops sound better than a flame top Les Paul?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
No fecking way. Really.

BUT...if you use brass screws to hold your pick guard onto the
guitar (any color ) other than trad metal screws you increase
the resonance 10 fold...

:hmm:

Okay, I'm lieing...it's really 5 fold the resonance. Everybody grow up will ya?

Reactions: ehb

simon connor

Reaction score
The knobs, we forgot the knobs! The secret is in using reflector knobs, and how they collect the sound, focus the tone, and project it into the audience. The ultimate combination is a laminated board with it's "air gap technology" (available only in the 2012 year) AND reflector knobs! Unbelievable tone! Thomas from Sweden where are you? I need some backup here, Man...

ARandall

Reaction score
It’s a fair question and each are machined and treated differently.
Please explain your rationale and references for this statement here.
As I am someone who makes guitars both with flame and plain tops (and with regular bursts and metallics) there is zero difference between any combination of the former in the raw wood stage of a build. This is the experience both in my building and in all the other build threads I have seen on this and other forums.
And after that there are only very minor differences in how I go about the finish - the metallic needing a couple of build coats - which you remove most of to make sure the surface is dead level before the application of the metallic.

Rob H.

Reaction score
Will you be using tightbond or hide glue?
I’ll probably just use some Elmer’s or a glue stick, whatever’s laying around. Glue doesn't matter for tone in the grand scheme IMO.

JohnnyN

Reaction score
Congratulations! You asked in the right place for a consensus opinion :laugh2:

Have a nice weekend :)

AlanBiker

Reaction score
This is like asking if a red car is faster than a black one of the same make, model and year.
Now I think there could be some truth here as everyone knows that the green Kawasaki's are faster than the others. I've been told that the red Ferrari's are faster too.

Alan

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Of course red is faster.
The pigments in the black are heavier, and it draws in more radiant heat, causing the vehicle to expand slightly, which hurts the aerodynamics.
Smokey Yunick didn't think so....and if there was anything in it he would have tried lol.

PauloQS

Reaction score
You see the secret is to drizzle some maple syrup on the top of the guitar to get a more rounded and sweeter high end.

For those who are thinking of buying the guitar I’ve listed, this was an attempt at humor. Please don’t take the maple syrup thing seriously. I know I’m not that funny and my sense of humor sucks, but it’s the only one I got.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Shit - I only read the first part of your post, drizzled on my guitar and then read the second bit.....

.....now my guitar is all sticky :p

But it does add to that mapley-goodness!

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Just wait until the yellow jackets show up for the syrup...... it'll get that pick hand moving real quick..... your attack will be off the charts.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Gee I hope it didn't have to be genuine maple syrup - I only had imitation on hand.......

PauloQS

Reaction score
Depends on the finish. With a honeyburst, you might be able to get away with imitation maple syrup. With a Bourbon burst you probably need the real deal. However, all this talk of bourbon and maple syrup is making me think of breakfast.

Latest Threads