Do plain tops, gold tops really sound better than flame tops?

Do Gold and Plain tops sound better than a flame top Les Paul?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skydog

Reaction score
Sadly, threads like this are more the norm than the exception around here.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I wouldn't say gold tops sound better, but they do often sound different. I think the finish can add a midrange bump and sustain that is distinctive. I like the sound of them.
"Sounds better" is opinion..."can sound different" is more fact. Of course flamies are different, also...which one is better?

Steelryder

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I needed some humor this morning! I would be really interested to know just how this could be measured objectively for all those gullible people out there. I have three lovely LP’s all top of the line models. All have XL Nickel 10’s and each sounds lovely. Each have own their distinctive tonal qualities that I like. But blind folded I wouldn’t be able to say which is which, it’s that close. I even did a sustain test and the results were similar with the same amp settings. Oh, all of mine just happen to be odd year models, not necessarily made in said odd year, one was made in November before. Finally, they all have AAAA tops. That’s right 4 “A”’s, which means they aren’t gold tops, all are book matched. We could get into quarter sawn etc. but the tops are thin so it doesn’t matter there. Just get something you like. Make your music, live your dream! Happy Friday, thanks for reading!

60'svibe

Reaction score
It is all psycho-babble to begin with. I have seen and heard guitars made of cement and old pencils sound just like guitars made from a variety of woods. Truth be told the issue of aesthetics is more of a personal issue and I don't even like the appearance of flamed maple tops. That's right you heard me. They are too, too glitzy looking. Flame tops are so overdone folks, so overdone. There is a beauty that comes from a simple top wood and the don't forget the "gold standard" as well. It is just a matter of taste. Don't get lost in it.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tones are in the heavy wide leather skraps holding them up.... Some folks even add a resonator ring for the more spanky blues toneage....

Synthetic skraps sound so AquaNetdex in comparison....

jtees4

Reaction score
Yes, of course!
But: It depends also on the humidity on the moon....
The moon humidity is always high, it has to be to keep the green cheese from drying out :applause:
(I hope you are old enough to have a clue what I am talking about)

lwchafin

Reaction score
Maybe the question should be do they LOOK better? That might get a little fewer snarky responses ... or not.

LPPILOT

Reaction score
I love these opinion threads . Get to hear some sincere emotion ! You need to believe in the axe you play and there is nothing wrong wif dat .

This type of discussion is not new to 2020 or 2010 , nor 2000, not 1990 or 1980 ....as kids we talked about this stuff in the 60's ..... passion for our favorite guitars ! Things never change ...LOL.... its all about the player .....never forget that

Latest Threads