Do plain tops, gold tops really sound better than flame tops?

Do Gold and Plain tops sound better than a flame top Les Paul?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
All this information so far is "FAKE NEWS".

It's well documented that the best sounding LP's have solid BLACK or dark tops.

The dark guitar heats up under the stage lights, and the light energy allows the guitarist to play hotter licks. ;)

Here's the reason.

Dark colors absorb a lot more heat than lighter ones because they absorb more light energy. In fact, the closer to black a color is, the more heat it absorbs from light sources.

RalphieBoy

Reaction score
FLAMETOP............the dilithium properties inherent in the flame top maple wood combine with the magnetic field of the pickups giving a Red and NOT a Brown Sound.........

AJK1

Reaction score
It also depends on whether the pickguard is on or off as that can dramatically affect the tone of a Les Paul

UncleFluffy

Reaction score
Solid is solid man, flame is flame, you've gotta find your own reality. Don't let the herd dictate to you man, be a dude.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is it true? Do plain tops or gold tops sound better than a flame top?
I'm just curious what your thoughts are.
It all depends.

If you're up on stage under hot lights, you might suddenly find that your sound, and the way you play, changes considerably.

That's because you realise you have sweaty bollocks. And the sweat permeates through yer pants, into the back of the guitar, and on into the pickup wiring and the pickups themselves. Hence the sudden change in your tone.

That's why, on many occasions, after I've come off stage, someone has come up to me and said 'Your playing was a load of bollocks!' :dude:

faux pas

Reaction score
Everyone here has missed the OBVIOUS answer and truth. Non-playing celebrity and non-guitar “tribute” guitars are far superior in both tone and playability. Any Dale Earnhardt guitar sounds better than either a flame or gold top. Just by association, the Corvette LP plays much faster than all other LPs. C’mon guys, this is a common knowledge.

reelman955

Reaction score
The super duper primo tone is found in the early 90’s with 1992 being the best year Gibson Les Paul Standard and Most Importantly in Wine Red color. There are super secret metallic chips mixed with the wine red paint that give the super secret tone. Please don’t share outside the forum. I wouldn’t want the prices for the 1992 wine red standards to go they the roof. I’m trying to purchase every 1992 built.

hisasahisasaki

Reaction score
Of course it's subjective matter but, plain top are harder wood than the figured top.This is a kind of physics.
Unpleasant to see a non-serious answer to a serious question.

Last edited:

shawn7

Reaction score
I wouldn't say gold tops sound better, but they do often sound different. I think the finish can add a midrange bump and sustain that is distinctive. I like the sound of them.

Latest Threads