Do guitars all sound the same thru modelers?

ricky1918

Reaction score
No, they don't.

Check out this video from an italian Kemper user.

Same Kemper profile (Bogner XTC by Guidorist), same pickup (SD JB), same strings (10-46).

4 guitars:

- Fender Stratocaster swamp ash
- Fender Stratocaster alder
- a guitar made for him by a luthier
- Gibson Les Paul Custom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paaf5C0iT64&feature=youtu.be

I know you modeler users didn't need this test. But still, it's well made and show how not only different guitars sound in a high end modeler, but helps showing that different woods lead to different sounds. The two stratos are VERY different to my ears.

PS: if I could learn how to post video correctly, that would be awesome. But even if I remove the s from https it just shows the link. Well, sorry folks

DavGrape

Reaction score
Along with the s, knock out &feature and everything after it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paaf5C0iT64[/ame]

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Yes they do, they sounds exactly the same.......as they do when you plugged them into a tube amp!

Shai`tan

Reaction score
I saw a great vid aways back someone posted. It was a Strat and a Les Paul being played thru a Kemper. Same amp Profile. And you could clearly hear that 1 was a Strat, and the other was a Les Paul...... was pretty impressed by that. Wish I could remember where I saw the vid link.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
My white Fender Strat and my Peavey T 30 are both single coil type sound completely different out of a Mustang amp or a line 6 Pod. The voice of the instrument over rides the gizmo.

Attachments

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very helpful and informative post. Maybe you should mosey on back to the squawk box?
Let them talk Ken. They expose themselves for the _________ (fill in) they really are...

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very helpful and informative post. Maybe you should mosey on back to the squawk box?
Let them talk Ken. They expose themselves for the _________ (fill in) they really are...
Since, we, regulars here, were told to not do such in the SB, and when I asked whether that would be quid pro quo here, was told to report them, when they did. I reported his post as a sh*t stirrer.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
To the OP. I'm not surprised. Any good amps, you will hear different pickup types, guitars, different pups in the same type, differently and distinctly. I have had 2 or 3 of my many tube amps that did that, and none of those as clearly as ALL (both) my high end modelers that do so.

ricky1918

Reaction score
I just wanted to show this comparison as I thought you guys might find it interesting :)

sk8rat

Reaction score
an uncontrolled experiment as pots and caps have a pretty big effect on tone. and that is only one factor. ill bet they were all set up differently too. pickups were probably at different heights, action set differently, ect. im not saying you are wrong or right, just that this is far from conclusive.

and for f*cks sake, someone set up that lp custom. it sounds like sh*t!

GeeJay

Reaction score
Any decent amp/modeller should let the instrument voice shine through. No surprise (though reassuring nonetheless) that this true for a top flight modeller like a Kemper.

KenG

Reaction score
an uncontrolled experiment as pots and caps have a pretty big effect on tone. and that is only one factor. ill bet they were all set up differently too. pickups were probably at different heights, action set differently, ect. im not saying you are wrong or right, just that this is far from conclusive.

and for f*cks sake, someone set up that lp custom. it sounds like sh*t!
I think you just agreed that the guitars each sounded different through the same modeller. That was the main point of the the thread. What made each guitar unique in the 1st place is of course up for debate.

IronWeso

Reaction score
Owning 8 guitars and an Axe Fx 2 I can personally attest that every one of my guitars sounds different and retain their own unique characteristics

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know where Ricky is going with this thread. It's been said that modelers make all guitars sound the same. Well I mean that's been said by tube heads. Surprised?

Guys that have actual experience with both tube amps and modelers. I mean it would be those guys that really have any validity.... Well they know the answer for how different guitars sound through a modeler.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I think you just agreed that the guitars each sounded different through the same modeller. That was the main point of the the thread. What made each guitar unique in the 1st place is of course up for debate.
yes they did sound different, im not arguing that but the conclusion was this ˅ which is not a fair conclusion based on scientific reasoning.
helps showing that different woods lead to different sounds.

ttbit

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever played an amp or any modeler where my guitars didn't all sound different. This is why I bought an LP. To get that sound. I created a preset that I really like that has good enough tone in my Tele and LP, where I can use either one and be happy though. Not USUALLY the case for me though. For certain sounds I have to lug out the LP, for now. One day I will find the perfect guitar. :) :)

KenG

Reaction score
yes they did sound different, im not arguing that but the conclusion was this ˅ which is not a fair conclusion based on scientific reasoning.
Agreed:thumb: Lots of factors involved.

MusicLaw

Reaction score
Not only will a good modeling unit allow each guitar to sound uniquely distinct and different from the next guitar, a good modeling unit also provides alternative processing profiles (amp algorithms, etc.) that allow the user to nurture an even broader spectrum of tones, traits, responses, dynamics, and playing feel nuances from a single guitar as compared to using a single amp. And, all of the above from a single unit (rather than a studio warehouse of gear).

ttbit

Reaction score
Who's gonna be the first person to comment on that video to tell him to tune the Gibson and try again??

Latest Threads