Do grovers affect tone ???

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
yeah - bit too much of a scary job for me so I'm taking it to tech!

Tell him not to go all the way through. You only need to ream from the back far enough for the Grover's sleeve to fit. That way, if you don't like them, you still have enough wood there to put the Klusons back on.

jwinger

Reaction score
Tell him not to go all the way through. You only need to ream from the back far enough for the Grover's sleeve to fit. That way, if you don't like them, you still have enough wood there to put the Klusons back on.

yeah thanks - will do

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust a tech with that, but that's just me. No need to use a drill and it's not a difficult procedure. I've done it to two Standards and my R8, R9, and Classic will be getting them as well.

I freakin' hate Klusons. :laugh2:

jason_mazzy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i was talking to bcrgreg yesterday about the classic he has and brought this up, and he said dont do it. to much mass over the klusens. perhaps he will weigh in on this thread.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
That's Greg's opinion. Doesn't make it right. All that means is that he doesn't like it.

And that he's dead sexy.

axepilot

Reaction score
Okay....I doubt that the human ear could hear any difference, but our experts here will be chiming in soon, I am sure.
Sincerely, good luck with your proposed tuner installation.:thumb:

Signed...............................

There seems to be a lot of on-line 24k gold plated ears offering advice........

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Or a lot of people are more deaf than I am. No easy feat.

I generally don't post when I don't know about something. Why would anyone make something like that up?!? What do I stand to gain from that?

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Anyway, I'm done with this. Install the Grovers. Don't go all the way through the headstock and if you don't like them, put the originals back on. That's what I said in the first place. :hmm:

Broken

Reaction score
I have heard claims that the added mass in the headstock can add to sustain. And as mentioned above locking tuners would improve that further and help keep her in tune as well.

I like the Klusons though.

axepilot

Reaction score
I have heard claims that the added mass in the headstock can add to sustain.

And who among us has the ears to judge that? Just how much sustain will be gained from a few extra grams of weight?

My take - it's all up to the player that spends the money on the Grovers. If he thinks it adds sustain, then his purchase is justified.

YMMV...............................

Broken

Reaction score
I agree, all the suddle changes and various parts are subjective. My two favorite techs recommend opposites on everything except pickups and pots.

marc1kim

Reaction score
I haven't noticed much difference in tone. They are smoother, but I don't really like the way the added mass on the headstock feels, it just doesn't feel right to me. I've owned a dozen Les Pauls (3 of them w/ grovers), I've never had problems with the Kluson style.

I'm think I might change out the grovers on my BFG

sdiggz

Reaction score
thanks for the thread. I been thinking of ways to thin out the mud in my studio. Makes since, Heavier head would have to make some sort of a difference.

River

Reaction score
I'm with the trucker on this one.

If you like the fittings on your guitar better this way than that way, this way will make the two of you a better team than that way.

It will show up in the end result.

Latest Threads