Do grovers affect tone ???

jwinger

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know this has been raised before, but I was thinking a more in depth discussion might not be a bad idea. Well, I've got some aged RS grovers arriving tomorrow, and I'm gonna pop them on my les paul in place of the klusons, simply because I love the look of them.

Well, are there any tonal +ives or -ives?? I'm skeptical about doing it if its gonna rob me of harmonics, resonance and bloom etc??

What opinions / experiences have you guys had???

cheers

johnny

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay....I doubt that the human ear could hear any difference, but our experts here will be chiming in soon, I am sure.
Sincerely, good luck with your proposed tuner installation.:thumb:

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
They add a little punch and focus to my ears. I prefer them over Klusons for the tone and the look as well.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Okay....I doubt that the human ear could hear any difference, but our experts here will be chiming in soon, I am sure.
Sincerely, good luck with your proposed tuner installation.:thumb:

If you were to install them on your new Classic, you'd hear a difference. The ones I've done were pretty dramatic.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
You'll probably get a very slight alteration in your overall tonality. The Grovers are heavier tuners than the Klusons...

jwinger

Reaction score
If you were to install them on your new Classic, you'd hear a difference. The ones I've done were pretty dramatic.

so any negatives - did they seem to take away and resonance or harmonics??

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
No, but that's subjective. Just because I like it doesn't mean you will.

What LP are you installing them in?

ehamady6

Reaction score
I installed locking Grovers on my Custom. I didn't detect any tonal change but they increased my sustain as lockers should. One of the best upgrades/mods I've ever made.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
so any negatives - did they seem to take away and resonance or harmonics??

No...they're better tuners.

The gear ratio is better (18:1 vs. 15:1 with Klusons)
The hardwear is better (metal vs. plastic tuning keys)

Hell, insofar as I know a lot of the higher end Lesters don't even HAVE Klusons on 'em anymore. Dumping those off my Studio was one of the best things I ever did as an upgrade...

jwinger

Reaction score
No, but that's subjective. Just because I like it doesn't mean you will.

What LP are you installing them in?

Going in old sybil....

White2.jpg

White1.jpg

White-3.jpg

Quick vid I made of her today - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHLwI81OH2Y]YouTube - Blues Deluxe - Jeff Beck[/ame]

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I installed locking Grovers on my Custom. I didn't detect any tonal change but they increased my sustain as lockers should. One of the best upgrades/mods I've ever made.

Yeah, but it had Grovers anyway. Switching from light, plastic Klusons to Grovers is quite a difference.

They can really help a dark, muddy guitar tighten up and lose the mud.

jwinger

Reaction score

thanks...reassuring

Latest Threads