Do Colbalts break easier?

Cyclave

Reaction score
I used to only use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys until I tried out the Colbalt version. I loved the change until the high e just broke at the ball end when in a half step down. :wtf:

I usually wouldn't be surprised by a string breakage, but I only had them on for 2 weeks and I've never had a string break INSIDE THE STOPTAIL of all places.

Do Colbalt strings break sooner? Is this a common place for strings to break? Should I go to Guitarcenter and yell at people who didn't make the strings for answers? Should I give up guitar and take up the electric triangle? :headbanger:

MrKensei

Reaction score
Never had a cobalt break on me. I had normal EBs break on me ALL of the time, but my cobalts have been bullet proof.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I had a Colbolt G string break fairly quickly on a stop tail. I'm not drawing any conclusions on a one time incident.

rocknroll1385

Reaction score
I had almost the same problem, then switched to Dunlop's, never broke a string since

Cyclave

Reaction score
Do you think I should try to see if I can get a free replacement? Seems like it was a crappy string. For $8, I expected more for two weeks especially when I was only around my guitars 9 of those days.

EDIT: I'm making a big deal about this because I'm a poor college student.

fairlanericky

Reaction score
If the string's breaking in the tail piece, there's probably a burr in the hole causing it. Roll up a piece of emery cloth and run it through to smooth out the hole.
I use the Cobalt's also and have never had a problem. I did have a problem with a burr in the tail piece though.

Ric

JakekaJ16

Reaction score
Regular EB's and Cobalt's broke all the time. (I top wrap as well) I switched to D'Addario's, now I never break strings. (I do some rigorous bending) I haven't looked back since.

kam4ff

Reaction score
Ernie's are the weakest strings I have ever played both in tone and in breakage ness. Even their heavy gauges break but I've never had an issue since I switched to better strings.

MrKensei

Reaction score
Do you think I should try to see if I can get a free replacement? Seems like it was a crappy string. For $8, I expected more for two weeks especially when I was only around my guitars 9 of those days.

Dude suck it up. They are $15 a set here. Count yourself lucky you get them so cheap.

Jason Taylor

Reaction score

Get D'Addario XLs, and don't look back.

Jason

kam4ff

Reaction score
I dont normally play D'Addario's but theyre better than EB and their cheaper. Im a college kid too. PM me and Ill give you some pointers to save your string life.

LawDaddy

Reaction score
I've gigged with EB for decades and rarely break strings. The plain strings in the Cobalts are the same as the regular Slinkies, only the wound strings have the cobalt formula.

Call EBMM customer service. They are legendary.

FYI, as said above, if a string breaks inside the tailpiece, that can be caused by a burr.

themightyjaymoe

Reaction score
Been using EB 10-52 for years and I've never broke a string with regular or cobalts.

miwolverine754

Reaction score
I used cobalts for a while and I never had any problems with them. I toured with them and played them extensively with some pretty damn gnarly string bends! I'm not sure, maybe it has something to do with the strings but then again it could easily be a burr or something with the guitar. just saying. I've only really heard good things about them! :)

River

Reaction score
I dont normally play D'Addario's but theyre better than EB and their cheaper.
What are the odds they're any different at all, except for packaging and ball-end colors? Not much.

When you're breaking strings "all the time", it ain't the strings.

kam4ff

Reaction score
I don't break strings all the time. Eb's are just shit in my opinion.

Jason Taylor

Reaction score
What are the odds they're any different at all, except for packaging and ball-end colors? Not much.

Wow. Why are you even here if you can't hear any difference in tone between D'Addario XLs and Ernie Ball Slinky strings?

I have heard your clips and you may want to pay attention more than you run your mouth off insulting people on a forum made for the very comments you bash.

Maybe consider not posting since you help no one?

Jason

Jason Taylor

Reaction score
I used to only use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys until I tried out the Colbalt version. I loved the change until the high e just broke at the ball end when in a half step down. :wtf:

I usually wouldn't be surprised by a string breakage, but I only had them on for 2 weeks and I've never had a string break INSIDE THE STOPTAIL of all places.

Do Colbalt strings break sooner? Is this a common place for strings to break? Should I go to Guitarcenter and yell at people who didn't make the strings for answers? Should I give up guitar and take up the electric triangle? :headbanger:

I have had EBs do the same and break at that ball end.

Which is why I imagine they make "Reinforced Ball End" strings LOL!!!!!

Anyway I use D'Addario XLs. They are great for rock and roll, and are amazingly unbelievably consistent and very, very steady in holding their tuning.

My fave strings are Curt Mangan but they are too soft or something as I cannot ever get the wound strings to stay in tune in dropped-D tuning.

Oh almost forgot to say that the high E string in a set of Cobalt Strings is NOT cobalt they are the same high E string found in a set of regular Slinkys.

Jason

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
never break strings with EB strings. Especially Cobalts.

Latest Threads