Do all Custom Shop Gibsons stay in tune better than standard US line?

Axe Arsenal

Reaction score
I have had many Gibsons (5 Les Pauls, an SG, a Flying V ,Explorer) in my 40 years of playing but never a Custom Shop model.
Now recently I have scored a mint 2011 R9 with no fret wear. The guitar looks, feels and plays like a new one.
The guitar is set up real nice, intonation is spot on and ....I can play it for hours and don't have to retune it. It's remarkable.
I have never seen this with any of my other Gibsons.
Did I get lucky with this one or are all Custom Shop models like that ?

none2low

Reaction score
Tuning stability has nothing to do with Custom Shop vs USA.

Yes, some extra attention to detail is given to CS guitars, but any guitar can be setup to play in tune and intonate properly.

Provided there isn't a physical or mechanical problem like a misplaced bridge, bad frets, or slipping tuners. You will typically find the majority of tuning issues are related to either the nut, the bridge or both not being setup properly.

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, I haven't tried to analyze it. But I have 3 USA Les Paul's, and one USA SG. One of the LP's is a Custom Shop. The other 3, I have to tune before playing. They're always just a little off on a string or two. That Custom Shop LP can hang for a week without being played. Pull it down, plug it in, it's still in perfect tune. Coincidence, maybe. But in my case, that's what I experience.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, some extra attention to detail is given to CS guitars, but any guitar can be setup to play in tune and intonate properly.

Provided there isn't a physical or mechanical problem like a misplaced bridge, bad frets, or slipping tuners. You will typically find the majority of tuning issues are related to either the nut, the bridge or both not being setup properly.
This.

LP1865

Reaction score

This. My first guitar was a $55 acoustic. It always stayed in tune. So does my Epiphone Les Paul. I don't even keep it in a case or something. it just lies on my bed.

filtersweep

Reaction score
Every US Gibson I've owned had 'tuning issues' that were permanently solved by 30 seconds of abrasive cord in the inner two nut slots. It is such a quick and easy fix-- and there is no need for lube (which treats symptoms, but not the cause). Stew Mac even has videos of how to do this. Files are simply not smooth enough to get things perfect.

Reissues have different nuts entirely, and the peg heads are located slightly differently than production Gibsons. I bought my reissue used, so I have no idea what was factory and what the previous owner did, but it is perfect, and the nut has lower action-- at the nut-- than any factory US Gibson I've owned.

Axe Arsenal

Reaction score
Admit it man, you just used this post as an excuse to post a picture of that magnificent guitar. I don't blame you, that is a thing of beauty.:cool:

Temperature affects my guitars' intonation more than anything else.
Haha... maybe, but I would still like to know if there are guys who bought a CS new and the nut isn't perfectly cut...

Axe Arsenal

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, I haven't tried to analyze it. But I have 3 USA Les Paul's, and one USA SG. One of the LP's is a Custom Shop. The other 3, I have to tune before playing. They're always just a little off on a string or two. That Custom Shop LP can hang for a week without being played. Pull it down, plug it in, it's still in perfect tune. Coincidence, maybe. But in my case, that's what I experience.
Yes, I have the same experience. I would like to know if there are others who had tuning issues with their reissues..

Axe Arsenal

Reaction score

Yes, I know what the problem is. You say that the CS gives some extra attention to detail... Is cutting the nut perfectly one of these details? Or are there CS guitars around that still had that problem? I know with Fender CS you still had to have luck. I had 3 CS Strats and 2 of them where out of tune the moment you used the tremolo. I'm not talking about dive bombs and such but just subtle use... Only one CS Strat stayed in tune, that is the one that I eventually kept. Well.. this wasn't the only reason I sold the other 2..

Axe Arsenal

Reaction score
Every US Gibson I've owned had 'tuning issues' that were permanently solved by 30 seconds of abrasive cord in the inner two nut slots. It is such a quick and easy fix-- and there is no need for lube (which treats symptoms, but not the cause). Stew Mac even has videos of how to do this. Files are simply not smooth enough to get things perfect.

Reissues have different nuts entirely, and the peg heads are located slightly differently than production Gibsons. I bought my reissue used, so I have no idea what was factory and what the previous owner did, but it is perfect, and the nut has lower action-- at the nut-- than any factory US Gibson I've owned.
Thanks for the tip, I will check the videos but I'm afraid that I'm not handy enough to do these things. :confused:

none2low

Reaction score
Yes, I know what the problem is. You say that the CS gives some extra attention to detail... Is cutting the nut perfectly one of these details? Or are there CS guitars around that still had that problem? I know with Fender CS you still had to have luck. I had 3 CS Strats and 2 of them where out of tune the moment you used the tremolo. I'm not talking about dive bombs and such but just subtle use... Only one CS Strat stayed in tune, that is the one that I eventually kept. Well.. this wasn't the only reason I sold the other 2..
The Gibson CS makes thousands of guitars per year, same as the Fender CS. Statistically speaking, not everyone is going to be perfect. Yes your chances of getting a properly cut nut improve with custom shop instruments, but what's the old saying... turn over enough stones your bound to find some moss. err, or something like that. lol

Fender tremolo's are another subject all together and the vintage style trem. is known to have it's own quirks and set-up requirements.

filtersweep

Reaction score
The Gibson CS makes thousands of guitars per year, same as the Fender CS. Statistically speaking, not everyone is going to be perfect. Yes your chances of getting a properly cut nut improve with custom shop instruments, but what's the old saying... turn over enough stones your bound to find some moss. err, or something like that. lol

Fender tremolo's are another subject all together and the vintage style trem. is known to have it's own quirks and set-up requirements.
Every Fender I’ve owned has had quality issues— which are different than design issues, which a few also had.

korus

Reaction score
Probably nylon vs corian nut.
Remove 'probably'. There is nothing uncertain about it.

Nylon 6/6 nut.

Original design had it.
CS guitars have it since 2009.

If people who have guitars with Nylon 6/6 nut do not have any idea why Nylon 6/6, that it has no comparison for back angled headstock for tuning stability as strings cannot bind self-lubricated surface of Nylon ...

Then it surely cannot be explained to people who never played one and only have Gibson US.

All Gibson US customers need is to use social network campaign to demand Nylon 6/6 nuts on their $1000-$3000, cause they are being robbed.

2020.CNC. Pre shaped with slots, only needs bottom filed on a flat surface to adjust action over 1st fret. Takes 2 minutes for assembly, and costs exactly the same as Corian. Case closed.

Social media campaign to enforce Gibson to use Nylon 6/6 nuts on all Gibson guitars, no exception. It costs Gibson the same, but any other materrial robbs customers of their money, effort and time.

If Gibson do that, it will also improve reputation of their products.

All win. And that is exactly why it will not happen. Cause rule of childi like minds/stupidity cannot imagine win for all exists. It barely survives from crisis to crisis, by exploiting incompetent. In this particular case, giving them Corian nuts for the cost of Nylon 6/6 nut on a $3k guitar, making sure it will rarely be in tune.

'However, stupidity cannot be legislated.' (Ricki Gervais, 2020)

Therefore, we have to fight stupidity among us so it does not prevail.

So, who can start a campaign "Nylon 6/6 nut on all Gibson guitars" on social media?

Last edited:

Gold Tone

Reaction score

Another vote for this

Latest Threads