Do 60 bursts sound better then 58's and 59's?

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Joe so are you saying the notes do not sustain as long / have a faster decay on the later '60's vs. the '59 / transition Bursts?

:cheers:

Rudi, I've only played one '60 LP Standard (albeit for some hours ;)), and far be it for me to second guess someone of Joe's ability and experience, but the sustain was still there for me. Maybe a little less "bloom", but a whole load more attack. Could never have said the notes died quickly, but there was definitely something different going on.

I nearly posted a while back to say "yeah, but they are all kind of different from one another", but I'm glad I held back for Joe's further qualification of the statement. It's sadly true that he has owned more Sunburst Les Paul Standards than I've ever played, but the situation is well deserved. I love it that someone that's a just a bit good is enjoying 50's Gibsons, and making great sounds with them... :D

Liam

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
I have 3 skinny neck 60 burst, 4 59's and something painted black made in 60. Each guitar has their own personality and sound but each of the late 60 burst I have played basically have the same snappier characteristic. Blindfolded I could tell. There is a roundness on the unwound strings on a 59 and a ping on the same aforementioned 1960 that are very distinct..

Now if you own a double O 1960 none it applies. Those are 59 spec. Basically only applying to guitars 0-2000s and higher. :jb:

That's great info Joe. Thanks for sharing.

Jblpplayer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Joe so are you saying the notes do not sustain as long / have a faster decay on the later '60's vs. the '59 / transition Bursts?

It's really not a question of sustain. It about the frequency of the notes literally straight off the guitar even with out an amp.

Joe B

RAG7890

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying Joe, now I understand what you are referring to. :thumb:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Forget lusting after all Joe's 'bursts - I'm jealous he has his own emoticon :dude:

Latest Threads