DNGD-Crews KTR & vintage Tokai

jlee

Reaction score
91782B34-4A0E-407E-95C7-B53127635385.jpeg
Dual new guitar day!
A 2012 Crews KTR Standard w/NFS Weep BB/ZB pick ups and a 1981 Tokai ES100J!

Man, these guitars are SWEET!

“30 years air drying” South American Mahogany neck on the Crews. North American plain hard maple top(lots of grain!), Asian Rosewood board & African mahogany back. This guitar holds its own against my 2 early 80s Love Rocks with OX4 and Throbak PG102s! Big fat ‘58 style neck. Very comfortable. Not overwhelmingly big. Fills the hand nicely. Was planning on immediately selling it, because the Tokai became available. Made the mistake of plugging it in! It’s a keeper.

And now the Tokai.
The Tokai “Jazz” pick ups are really, really sweet! Neck is slimmer than I was hoping for. Actually feels smaller than my Gibson ‘63 RI. Still an amazing and killer guitar! A new favorite! Really light as well. Neck pickup is classic PAF neck. A touch hollow, cleans up with a slight turn of the volume knob, but has a great bluesy Tone. Bridge is a great rock pickup, despite the Jazz moniker. Not over the top, but has enough bite and punch for Clapton/Cream.

Electronics are surprisingly good on both guitars as well. Heard the Crews electronics were sub par. Not finding that here. Same goes for the Tokai. Pots are nice and broken in and turn so easily on the Tokai! Both guitar’s Tone pots roll off the highs, but don’t kill the attack like on my Gibson(still have to figure out why that is). Volumes clean up in a nice linear fashion like my replacement CTS from Creamtone. Usually, the first thing I do is swap out harnesses. Have Bees and Black Beauties in my other MIJ guitars.

Happy camper! Going to go back to putting them through their rounds!

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Happy New Guitars Day!!! Nice duo there. :thumbs:

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bought guitars a week apart but never two at once.. They are both nice, I am really wanting an ES type Tokai these days.

jlee

Reaction score
Bought them about a week apart. Guitartrader.com had the Tokai for sale. Took them a few weeks to respond to my inquiry, so I figured it wasn’t going to happen. In the interim, the Crews came up on Reverb and I bought it. Just my luck, Guitartrader responded almost a week later.

jlee

Reaction score
These NFS Weep Pickups are so good! It’s a damn shame that the K&T Pickups cost so much on their own! That neck pickup is the real killer! Bridge is awesome too, but that neck pickup! Hollow and chirpy with a great percussive attack and absolutely no mud! Rings like a bell.

Last edited:

free713

Reaction score
Yeah they kick ass. It's insane how much guitar you get for your money when you pick up a used Crews KTR std. Got one as well and it is killer. Really, really great full 50s neck, superb playability and those pups...:slash::jb:

Latest Threads