DIY Slash EDS-1275, yes, the replica of the replica

batleamster23

Reaction score
HI ALL, been lurking here for years, I wanted to make a Les Paul guitar, but here in Peru we dont have easy access to Maple tops, so looked back to my second favourite guitar, YES, the EDS 1275 but a black one since in my childhood I saw a guy playing it in Tokyo, you know whos him hehe.

Well in Peru we have tons of Mahogany and it is know that EDS1275 are widely made of mahogany, some of them are made with maple necks, so Ive search the internet for a pdf plan, saw many threads, many thanks to MelomanaRock an argentian guy who build an eds replica years ago, captain nutslot from tpdri. So ive found that the current plan which has been around was somehow too wide, and control, selector cavity, doesnt match what i found on internet.

So i decided to do my job, from the roots, making a plan first instead of cutting wood, so once more I started lurking around very hard and pardon me if I sound somehow harsh, english is not my native language, and maybe I dont have the exact words to ask for help.

Well, here is it
grab autocad, tons of images, especially slash's sinature eds, has the best pics, I understand that images are distorted because the lent, but thats why I compared with more images, and ended with this outline, which matched every front pics I put over them.

Screenshot_20200603_185332.jpg

So it started with a very hard search, for images and measurements, some of them call for a 18" wide body, some of them 17", and I have ended with 16.5" wide for the body, taking that measurement and the 24.75 fretboard scale, started to drawn, my first draw was finaly ended in 2019, but still unsatisfied, needed more, and started comparing diferent eds pics, and found simetry, I like simetry, since Ive read that some physicians like to find simetry in their equations hehe, so drawing and drawing i have come with this, these days of lockdown, Im pleased, just eager to start cutting wood.

Screenshot_20200603_185033.jpg

this is an image of the naked body ive found on instagram
67196526_2392290884426935_6849554049688677135_n (1).jpg

and then, looked around, the troglys show guitar on youtube

So, thank you very much, ill post the process
Feel free to ask something or give some aid you consider
once more thank you
Alex.

Last edited:

batleamster23

Reaction score
just found some wood, its going to be one piece mahogany, do you see? its marked with old selector cavities
mahogany 2.jpg

batleamster23

Reaction score
So gentlemen, what do you think, of the routed cavities? I think that the braided cable cavities are diferent, the neck selector one could be 0.75", and the pickup selector one could be 0.5 inch
what do you think?
thanks
0.75 and 0.5.png

batleamster23

Reaction score
recently added the new measurements, 0.75" for the center routed cavity, and 0.5" for the pickup selector wire cavity
and, draw the switchcraft selectors with real measurements,just to ensure they fit, 12013x and the big one 12015x

12013x:
selector eds.png

12015x they look like shrimp hehe

selector eds 2.png

and this is the final drawing

eds construcion.png

Last edited:

1FretLess

Reaction score
Most excellent draftsmanship!
Very well researched as well - eagerly following!

Work a model with a mandolin/ six while yer at it!

lewita

Reaction score
excelente trabajo de research & development. Saludos de otro loco de los detalles desde la patagonia argentina

batleamster23

Reaction score
Hi, recently, ive made a side view of the body, with some random measurements, please, could you help me getting right measurements?
Screenshot_20200606_012222_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Screenshot_20200606_012202_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Thank you very much
Alex

Dazza

Reaction score
This might be useful to you. It's my mid 70's EDS 1275 I had restored. I bought it long ago with a horrible paintjob and finally got it completed last year. I posted a thread about it in this forum with updates over the years.

Comparing mine with the other picture you posted:
Mine has smaller bridge post holes for ABR-1. Maybe the other has Nashville ?
The routing around the switches is shaped different.
There are wire channels routed inside the bridge pickup cavities.
Mine has 2 small holes for the ground wires that sit under the stoptail/claws.

EDS1275 b.jpg

Daz

Last edited:

batleamster23

Reaction score
This might be useful to you. It's my mid 70's EDS 1275 I had restored. I bought it long ago with a horrible paintjob and finally got it completed last year. I posted a thread about it in this forum with updates over the years.

Comparing mine with the other picture you posted:
Mine has smaller bridge post holes for ABR-1. Maybe the other has Nashville ?
The routing around the switches is shaped different.
There are wire channels routed inside the bridge pickup cavities.
Mine has 2 small holes for the ground wires that sit under the stoptail/claws.

View attachment 467970

Daz
wow, I saw you thread and it is an amazing job you did, Thank you so much in advance, Daz, i used this measurements for the tuneomtic:
bridege draw.png

dont know if they are a nashville type of tuneomatic hehe.

PLEASE, could you help me getting this measurements? im not sure, could you tell me whats the distance measurement between each neck from their centers, and whats the pickup distance?, pickup distance maybe starting from ring to ring.
front.png

Thank you so much Daz!

Alex

Last edited:

Dazza

Reaction score
The Schaller bridge you posted is a Nashville type. Nashville bridge will have inserts into the body which need larger holes.
shopping_6_5af6df2f-cf9f-41b2-970b-9bed0d0f1991.jpg

The ABR bridge rests on posts which are much narrower.
750-PBBR015_detail1.jpg

Dazza

Reaction score
I didn't do the work on my guitar, just finished the wiring because my friend was in a hurry and got it a bit wrong. Kneeling on the floor for so long trying to sort it out was not fun. I recommend a bench !

Maybe these pictures help you.

eds1275jpg.jpg

Last edited:

batleamster23

Reaction score
I didn't do the work on my guitar, just finished the wiring because my friend was in a hurry and got it a bit wrong. Kneeling on the floor for so long trying to sort it out was not fun. I recommend a bench !

Maybe these pictures help you.

View attachment 468082
Thank you Daz, thats awesome, very good looking guitar you have :)

Latest Threads