DIY Guitar Kit Build: 1959 Southern Rock Tribute Les Paul

J_Euphoria

Reaction score
I appears from the pictures that they did a nice job with the binding, and that would be a tough part to reproduce at home. Congrats!
The binding turned out better than I expected. Thank you!

J_Euphoria

Reaction score
Looks good!
One thing I never understood about the "southern rock" lp is why they orientated the heart in the direction they did. When the guitar is on a stand or hanging like most pics show, I dont see a heart but a more "private" part of the male anatomy.
I get where you are coming from. I've thought about the same thing haha. Cheers!

J_Euphoria

Reaction score
That kit looks pretty good. Nice dark fretboard. I think you did a great job putting it all together, although not a real fan of the heart. Love everything else about it. Would have been a great tribute without it.
The heart is an acquired taste. I myself love it because the heart adds character. Thanks for checking it out. Cheers!

greens

Reaction score
How confident are you about that? Generally if it's a flamed maple veneer there would be no reason to put maple underneath. Also if it is a veneer it may not have a two piece cap underneath. The reason these kits are so inexpensive is the use of inexpensive woods and cheap labour, also the fit and finish, in general, is not that great. They do not have time to machine to tight tolerances. Time=money, even in China! ;-) I'm always intrigued by these kits that seem so inexpensive but seeing as I only hang out in the Luthier's Corner and have the ability to build from scratch. I just can't bring myself to buy one. This kit looks great and you have done a great job finishing.

Cheers Peter.
I've gotten a few of these. It actually is maple, at least in my experience, you can see in the pickup cavities and on the lower bout. Not only that, sometimes you can upgrade to a real flamed maple cap for a very reasonable price, if that is what you want. The quality can vary quite a lot on aliexpress though, it amounts to the same thing as buying from different people on ebay or third parties on amazon. They all seem to be middle men of various stripes with some degree of connection to a factory or small shop. Ability to communicate and do quality control range from surprisingly good to terrible.

Latest Threads