Discovered that I don't like Round, Pure Nickel Strings

Darkburst

Reaction score
So I tried something different and got some Throbak Vintage Choice (pure nickel, round core) and went right back to my trusty Regular Ernie Ball Slinky. The Throbaks killed what I like to hear in the wound strings. No bark. All the cool low string riffs sounded weak and the percussiveness attenuated. I tried adjusting the pole piece screws to no avail. I guess hex core and nickel plated steel is what I like to hear for my more hard rock playing... as always YMMV!

:dude:

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Try pure nickel but with hex cores.

Pure nickels are a more vintage style string but there was plenty of early hard rock played on them before other strings became available.

spitfire

Reaction score
There's no question pure nickle strings have a mellower quality to them. but I find that the sound seems more complex to me and to my liking. Though I don't know anything about round vs hex cores.

But keep in mind that different guitars and different situations call for different things.

For example, I have a couple of hollow body jazz boxes. On one, I use Thomastik flat wounds and on another D'Addario chromes (also flat wound).

The main differences is not how the strings are made, but rather just the range of strings size over the sets. Both are 12's, but are different on the lower strings. If I remember, the D'Addarios get heavier towards the low strings.

The D'Addarios, with the heavier base strings, were too boomy on the solid spruce top archtop. While I needed the heavier strings on the laminate top hollow body to drive the top properly.

Point is, be open to what strings work best on what guitar. Pure nickels might not be best for that guitar, style of music etc, but may be perfect in another situation.

Darkburst

Reaction score
Exactly spitefire. That's why I was clear about working for my situation and taste. I can see how these would work for a jazz or blues style. My benchmark for rock n' roll tone is that AC/DC style crunch and searing leads. These strings just didn't deliver what I wanted with my gear.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not everybody is going to like Round Core strings.

Meathead872

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Even playing jazz,blues and chicken pickin I'll take the EB slinky hex core nickel plated any day, I just lose the boom of the low E when using the pure nickel round core. I tried the pure nickel because I heard they were less ware on the frets.

Latest Threads