Discount amount for a broken head stock on historic?

ChrisH

Reaction score
This has been asked before (kind of), but i am curious about the answer in the historic market as some historic owners have a deeper breadth of criteria for their guitars.

What reduction in price would you need to see to buy a broken and repaired R9 for instance.
if they have pictures of the repair and it is quality job. the final aesthetics are clean as well.
to set the basis, the guitar sounds, plays, looks, like you want. the only problem is it bears the cross of a head stock repair.

a new R9 is a little over 6k
a used one can be bought for around 5k
if a nominal used price is 5K what are you willing to pay for an R9 with this repair?

i know in other threads $500 is the reduction that is often stated, but if that is true, then are people willing to pay $4500 for a HS repair R9 when 500 dollars more buys a clean bill of health.

Why do i ask,
well, i don't buy new cars and i don't buy new guitars, for much the same reason (i do not want to take the new owner loss of value).
however, i buy guitars every so often, play them a while and unless they are really special will sell them off. i never expect a profit,or even try, but if i buy a guitar used for a reasonable price, it is (usually) reasonable to expect it to sell around that same price a year later. this is straight forward on clean guitars, but i do not have a good idea on repaired guitars. personally i am not afraid of the repair. But, i am a little blind on a proper price.

i am just curious on opinions here

thank you
chris

Thundermtn

Reaction score
For me personally it's a non-starter unless I play it and it's better than my best. You sound like guitar flipper though. Go check reverb and get your answer.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the quality of the repair. I would say say that a headstock repair would devalue an R9 by $1K.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying a repaired one. There are plenty of sound ones out there and they're probably going to get (at least relatively) cheaper rather than more expensive (and also available from "real owners" rather than flippers, which I've always found a better way to go).

1allspub

Reaction score
Yeah, $4500 seems super high. For me to buy one it’d have to be drastically discounted... like, just can’t pass that up kinda price. As mentioned above, there’s just way too many unbroken R9s on the used market to justify buying a broken headstock one that wasn’t drastically discounted.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have to have a spectacular top, a nice dark fretboard, a perfect paint job, and play and sound outstanding before i would even consider a broken headstock on any Historic.

No way would i pay $4500.

danzego

Reaction score
I could have bought an R9 from a fellow forum member in near new condition for $4500 a couple of months back. I wouldn’t touch one with a broken headstock for anything near that amount. Even then, it would have to be an exceptional Les Paul otherwise in all respects and, if possible, I’d want a return policy so I had a chance to take it to a guitar tech/luthier for evaluation before committing to it.

That’s just me, though. I’m fairly obsessive about the condition of my guitars in general, especially when buying one. I’ve seen other people who are like, “Broken headstock? Pssh, no problem! It’s better than new!” I guess that’s not quite where I am in my Les Paul experience. :hmm:

mjross

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with broken headstock, IF REPAIRED PROPERLY! My 2006 Custom has a broken headstock and most would never know if it was not brought to their attention. It was broken brand new out of the case an repaired in 2006. Not a single issue, one of my best! Those that say they would not touch one are missing out, but you me you!

If possible check it out hands on, that should answer all your questions. Definitely justifies a discount, how much, that’s the rub!

Last edited:

Mr French

Reaction score
If it feels and sounds good by all means go for it but can only hope you do not pay retail or full asking price unless you fall in love with it.

Value of the guitar? Depends on how much you love it. Every guitar sounds and feels different even with identical specs.

mdubya

Reaction score
Personally for me it’s a 40-50% discount because that’s what it typically is.

Yep. And that is off actual price not asking price.

No matter the guitar.

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
If I was to sell mine I would set a reasonable price that I thought was fair based on the guitar and quality of the repair. If price does not work for you, keep looking!

Herbie74

Reaction score
I don’t think your see in this market a 50% discount. I would think it’s closer to 30%. I have one guitar that has a break and that’s the one I usually gig. Two reasons why, it’s a great guitar and since it’s already been broken no worries if something happens to it.

mjross

Reaction score
I don’t think your see in this market a 50% discount. I would think it’s closer to 30%. I have one guitar that has a break and that’s the one I usually gig. Two reasons why, it’s a great guitar and since it’s already been broken no worries if something happens to it.
I think you are probably more accurate with your percentage figure. My 2006 Custom is as good if not better than most. Strange how many of the people that own headstock repairs swear by them. Maybe these guitar work harder just to prove themselves…lol!

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the % is better right now because of inflation and supply/demand but I’d rather buy one without a broken headstock for 20-30% more which is the case for most people I would guess.

Latest Threads