Disasterous gigs!

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Nothing to speak of really. Other than people being too drunk/stoned to play. :laugh2:

I don't for one moment expect you to remember your bad gigs. I shall PM Spacebubby for the detailed stories and publish and be damned!!!!!:naughty:

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Of course..very classy cakes! Great story man, I have played a few shocker gigs.. every gig has a story but none are as good as yours! :dude:

We played a gig at a Oxford Uni once many years ago..it was a real town and gown type thing I dont know how the hell we blagged it!?! Anyway we got there at 12.30 lunch time and the promoter said ok its free drinks from now until you finish your set and your set is 1 am...:shock:

The band just thought great lets get drunk but I was like, err our set is not for hours and hours..well by the time the set started the other members were so wasted the set was less about music and more of a stand up comedy routine!

That's twelve and a half hours of tuning up and boozing!!:shock:

sliding tom

Reaction score
This is the late 70s.
We were booked by a clubowner in Bamberg (southern Germany). Never had been there before, seemed like that was a rather new place at least in terms of booking live music (and regarding bookings our singer/harpplayer was on top of the game back then). Bamberg is a couple of hours drive from where we live and we arrived in the late afternoon to set up and do soundcheck etc.
So we come into the club - pretty large basement room in an old building - didn't look bad for a start, and asked who's in charge and said: "We're the band!"
A lady came up to us and replied: "Band? what eh..band?"
"We are the band tonight!"
"We don't know about any band!"
So we produced our contract for the night which was scrutinized in every detail and were asked to come into the club's office. Turning papers and checking files the lady found the club's copy of the contract. "Oh yeah, I see, you have been booked for tonight."
Now comes the surprise: the clubowner had been shot three months ago on the island of Korsika - in a shootout or attack by the Korsika Liberation Movement (a movement that wants Korsika to break free from Farnce) and the employees had been running the place since then until the heirs would claim their rights. The place had been mostly a disco and the now deceased owner wanted to slowly turn it into a place that would feature live music on the weekends.
So - contract being contract - we schlepped our stuff down and set up while the lady checked if the hotel had been booked.
Soundcheck over, we sit down at the bar to have a beer or two and being curious what the night might bring ( no promotion for the gig as you might have guessed).
So 8:00 p.m. comes - 8:30 and the place is slowly filling up - the male audience consisting of black US G.I.s (Bamberg is a town where the US Army is located) and german "frauleins" - disco music blasting from the house speakers and the dance floor filling up.
Showtime comes, we get on stage, everybody on the dance floor watching us to see what we're up to. We play our first tune, a hard driving mid-tempo shuffle (we always referred to that one as :"nail 'em to the back wall to get their attention") and, shaking their heads in disbelief, the black G.I.s empty the floor to get back to their tables to talk to their respective "frauleins" or whatever - nobody giving a sh.. about us. We're giving it our best shot but to no avail....
Intermission comes, the house DJ puts on some disco music again and in about 30 seconds the dance floor is packed again.
That's the way the whole night went on: band plays - dance floor deserted, intermission and disco music - floor packed!

Well, at least we got our pay, had a hotel booked and were being treated right, so we called it a night.

PABassPlayer

Reaction score
Nothing to speak of really. Other than people being too drunk/stoned to play. :laugh2:

Been there...

Also:
A friends band played in a Trenton NJ bar, I was there as a friend/spectator.
During the first set all the power went out, then a loud hum and big boom and a flash of light. We all stood there stunned as the smoke poured out of every amp and the pa rack. Stage lights popped and the smell of ozone was everywhere.Every piece of electronic equipt. was fried.

The bar refused to pay for the gear and as far as I know, it still has not.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Went to power up the amps at a soundcheck before a festival gig and poof........ smoke, so with 3 hours til showtime I ended up grabbing a cab to a local music shop and spending a ton of money on 2 new Marshall heads, which being in Japan at the time were not cheap.

My old heads needed some serious repair work to get up and running again, after that a power conditioner became absolute must in my gear list.

spacebubby

The MLP Princess
Reaction score
I wasn't with Bole for all the "good" stories. I got to hear the stories either from Bole or from the other people that were there and witnessed it. :shock::laugh2:

Tuxedo Kaz

Reaction score
I will NOT gig without a power conditioner. NEVER. Especially not in the Webster. That place is a dump!

Latest Threads