Disadvantages of P90s

sidk47

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am very happy with my Cort CR300 with EMG retroactive FAT 55's active humbucking pickups.

But I got some cash and wanted to treat myself to a new guitar.

I was looking at an Epiphone P90 equipped Epiphone Les Paul Special Junior with 2 p90s.

Usually people say good things about this guitar and this type of pickup.

But then I came across a thread in the Gibson forum saying he or she hates single coils and wants to upgrade to a humbucker Les Paul. I'm not as rich as him, so I opted for Epiphone.

So then I got confused.

Can someone chime in as to the disadvantages of a P90 or why they prefer one type of pickup over the other. I am sure there are many people on both sides and some who want to jump from one side to the other so I am interested in hearing your opinions.

Is it a guitar worthy of my inherited money or should I stay away from it and go with a Cort CR250 instead?

Please help me make a more informed decision.

Also, I don't know why I would need another guitar either. My Cort CR300 is already good enough. But I want the craving to stop and I can't seem to let go despite my binging on Buddhist philosophy and Nietsche on YouTube.

The rational part of my brain wants me to go with an electric violin instead, but you all know we guitarists are irrational.

Thanks guys,
Cheers from India,
Siddhu Boy.

Reactions: Who

fry

Reaction score
P90’s sound awesome, but they do produce some hum. Maybe it’s the wiring in my home, but I found the hum to be overwhelming, I couldn’t get past it. People who love them REALLY love them, though. I have a friend who only plays P90’s. They have their own unique sound, awesome through an overdriven amp. If you’re playing in a live situation with a band, the hum isn’t going to be an issue.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you mean the Epiphone Special or if there is a Junior with 2 P-90s, but if you already have a guitar with two humbuckers, I think you might like the sound of a slab of mahogany with two P-90s. Basic rock and roll since 1959 :cool:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
If you use a lot of gain in your playing, the issue may be hum. When you switch from the middle position to either the bridge or neck, you may get it. If you have a noise gate, problem may be solved.
If you play clean, or with light gain, the sound of a P90 is glorious!

Uncle Vinnie

Help me Mr. Wizard!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three P90-equipped Les Pauls; only one of them hums and that's when the volume is < 8, and I believe it's a grounding issue, not the pickups.

The pickups in my '78 Pro Deluxe do not hum at all and sound the best of all my guitars whether at low, clean volume or cranked.

sidk47

Reaction score
The P90 is often thought of as a one-trick pony for high gain. It’s fantastic for that, but I agree with @BadPenguin - they sound great clean also!

For quintessential overdriven P90 tone though, check out Santana’s Soul Sacrifice performance at Woodstock.
Yes Mr.Garnett.

I just checked it out on YouTube. But honestly if my eyes were closed, there would be no way I could guess what pickup was in Santana's guitar.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I can only offer Gibson observations. I owned a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Special. I sold it because the neck pickup sounded really bad. Both pickups hummed. Get a Junior. You only need one pickup. I heard that the magnetic pull of the neck pickup messes with the tone of the bridge pickup. I finally bought a custom shop Junior and it doesn’t hum. Hopefully you would have the same results with an Epi Junior.

Last edited:

Big Dik

Reaction score
I have a Hamer Special with P90's and it kicks in any situation. It reminds me of an SG Special
IMG_1419.JPG

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Right time, at the right place”.
“The right tool, for the right job.”

Both summarize the P-90 well. In the last year I have become enamored with the P-90.

Love the variety of tones and just pure Blues, Rock and Roll and yes, Bakersfield Country I can wring out with ‘em.

Check out Wolfetone Pickups, I have several of his P-90s, amazing stuff!

Let us know your decision.

Good luck.

Mr French

Reaction score
Love P90s! I once heard that PAF had been based after P90's, I'm no expert my any means but it was also said by Dr. Nitro 8 bomb customs latest video.

100LL

Reaction score
P-90 at the neck for clean.
Humbucker at the bridge for hi gain.
sounds quite sensible actually.

I can’t recall seeing that configuration however. Would it be a custom shop thing or other modification…or can a guy find a guitar so configured on the rack?

None of my guitars (I have around 6 electrics) have a P90, and I want to fix that.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds quite sensible actually.

I can’t recall seeing that configuration however. Would it be a custom shop thing or other modification…or can a guy find a guitar so configured on the rack?

None of my guitars (I have around 6 electrics) have a P90, and I want to fix that.

Les Paul Futura

LPFAPO5RC1-Finish-Shot.jpg

dnabbet2

Reaction score
I hate P90s yet always have a guitar with them ... go figure. I LOVE the middle position of '54-type Customs with the bridge P90 and the "staple" together.

But IF you try a P90-equipped guitar and hate the P90s, there are very cool options that should fit the routs: mini-humbuckers, stacked humbuckers, "staple" replacement pickups such as Lollar's, hot humbuckers like the old DiMarzios. All kinds of stuff, and lots of it, such as the DiMarzios, will be used and relatively inexpensive.

Latest Threads