Dirty Fingers Alternatives

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
I really like the way the old Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups sound. The new ones don't sound nearly as good to me. Are there any smaller companies making their version of this pickup?

AJK1

Reaction score
I really like the way the old Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups sound. The new ones don't sound nearly as good to me. Are there any smaller companies making their version of this pickup?
I had an 83 Explorer that had Dirty Fingers in it
I think they must have been Shaw’s and they sounded great but when I put them in another guitar they sounded horrible so I put them back in the explorer
They were were obviously matched to the explorer tone wise
What would be a current alternative ?
Maybe a JB or something similar ?

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
Thanks! Looking for an actual Dirty Fingers model from another, smaller company. Duncan doesn't have anything close, although I bet I could order something though the Custom Shop.

angeldeville

Reaction score
There really isn’t anything new under the sun in the humbucker market, I’m more of a Dimarzio fan than a Duncan but either should make something close.

I have a gee-tar with dirty fingers in it, and I always hated the name.

ARandall

Reaction score
DF are not an overly desired model, plus there are usually no shortage of them nor are they expensive to buy originals generally speaking. So its unlikely that many/any major players make 'their versions' as there is just not enough market share to tap into.
You might find someone like a GFS or Dragonfire do something similar - there are a lot of those hot type pickups in these brands' ranges.

But it might just be the phenomenon that @AJK1 has mentioned...... the guitar you were wanting to put it into just doesn't suit the DF pickup as much. As such you're at the mercy of 'fate' as it were. You have to discover a pickup that fits the guitar from scratch.

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
Couldn't find any sort of replica or clones of the Dirty Fingers from another company in a quick search.

I've read the Bare Knuckles Cold Sweat was inspired by John Sykes tone in Cold Sweat and he supposedly was using Dirty Fingers at the time - before replacing it with a PAF clone.

So that might be the closest thing to a homage to the Dirty Fingers?

If you're willing to give a chance to something similar though, there are plenty of great options for ceramic pickups in that range.

AJK1

Reaction score
DF are not an overly desired model, plus there are usually no shortage of them nor are they expensive to buy originals generally speaking. So its unlikely that many/any major players make 'their versions' as there is just not enough market share to tap into.
You might find someone like a GFS or Dragonfire do something similar - there are a lot of those hot type pickups in these brands' ranges.

But it might just be the phenomenon that @AJK1 has mentioned...... the guitar you were wanting to put it into just doesn't suit the DF pickup as much. As such you're at the mercy of 'fate' as it were. You have to discover a pickup that fits the guitar from scratch.
Yep it’s true, those pickups were horrible in a Les Paul I put them in
I wouldn’t get them only because they are very guitar particular, there must be better options around
I remember they were very powerful and dark, the neck one was terrible, but I only used the bridge on the explorer anyway

Latest Threads