dimming a fender twin reverb.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever tried it? The twins claim to fame is its clean tones and massive headroom.... but it WILL overdrive. You can't get its saturated unless you basically crank it ALL the way.

I like to stand in front of it and hit a power chord and feel the soundwaves hit me.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to dim a Twin is probably to pull two power tubes, start with that.

keys88

Reaction score
Had a Twin, never got it over 2.5, lol. But I've heard that an overdriven Twin (at least a modern one) isn't necessarily a pleasant tone.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess a big rheostat....

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Had a Twin, never got it over 2.5, lol. But I've heard that an overdriven Twin (at least a modern one) isn't necessarily a pleasant tone.
The late '70s Twins had UltraLinear wiring for the transformers, which gave them higher wattage and even more clean headroom, but less musical distortion when dimed.

But blackface, early silverface, and reissues sound glorious when dimed.

keys88

Reaction score
The late '70s Twins had UltraLinear wiring for the transformers, which gave them higher wattage and even more clean headroom, but less musical distortion when dimed.

But blackface, early silverface, and reissues sound glorious when dimed.
Cool. Good to know. I know Keef and Bonamassa both use a tweed twin and they sound amazing, but I always thought the Blackface and Silverface Twins were more harsh when overdriven. Mine was an old Silverface and it sounded great, but I could never get it remotely loud enough to test the breakup haha.

redking

Reaction score
Cool. Good to know. I know Keef and Bonamassa both use a tweed twin and they sound amazing, but I always thought the Blackface and Silverface Twins were more harsh when overdriven. Mine was an old Silverface and it sounded great, but I could never get it remotely loud enough to test the breakup haha.
Yep, Tweeds were different amps entirely.

rykus

Reaction score
I had the 135w silverface monster twin.. yeah it didn't sound good dimed imo... speakers are pretty harsh too would probably sound better through a cab of some sort... I got a modded twin that sounds better dimed now... still pretty brutal I like it as a clean amp better but again the speaker isn't that forgiving (SRO).. I put 5881 in it and they sound better cranked but the 6L6 is way bigger and cleaner tone past 5 or 6 (noon).

Id be interested to hear one dimed through the alnico creams... or the old JBL or Altec optioned ones probably sound way better up high too.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you heard me and started this thread.

It’s pretty awesome actually. I’ve been known to do it from time to time.

rogue3

Reaction score
I always wanted one.I hear they take pedals real well...say what? :hmm:

jojo

Reaction score
I don't dime mine but I'll play it loud when my band jams again and slam it with a fuzz pedal.

refin

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Back in the '70s I filled in for a guitarist with a band,playing a street festival.His amp was a SF Twin with 2 JBLs.I pretty much dimed it,and wow.......
They WILL distort nicely.Santana used to use them (probably BF),like on Black Magic Woman.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
As my playing improved the more decibels and sound pressure the better thinking faded away.

Don't care how great a amp sounds cranked if it's not useable to an average gigmeister like me.

Gary

Reaction score
Had an early 70’s Silverface Twin. It was a non MV. I got it cheap because it had been bubba’d. After restoring it, my Air Force son borrowed to to take to a multi band gig. After that gig he named it, “the Marshall slayer”. It’s his now. Cranking it makes the walls and windows shake.

I’m satisfied with a 40 watt ‘67 Bandmaster. I’m trying to save what’s left of my hearing.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I had the 135w silverface monster twin.. yeah it didn't sound good dimed imo... speakers are pretty harsh too would probably sound better through a cab of some sort... I got a modded twin that sounds better dimed now... still pretty brutal I like it as a clean amp better but again the speaker isn't that forgiving (SRO).. I put 5881 in it and they sound better cranked but the 6L6 is way bigger and cleaner tone past 5 or 6 (noon).

Id be interested to hear one dimed through the alnico creams... or the old JBL or Altec optioned ones probably sound way better up high too.
I have a 135 Watt Silverface Twin UltraLinear sitting right here beside me. Maybe I'll shoo the wife outside tomorrow and give it a try.

I don't think I've ever had it past 5? It's my wife's favorite sounding amp. Every time I plug into it she comes around to tell me how good it sounds.

Mine has the factory upgrade JBL Orange Basket speakers. I'll see if I can answer this question for you...

I hope it doesn't knock all the picture frames off my walls! My studio/office has about 50 framed and autographed rock star photo's on the walls.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an early 70's Twin a long time ago. It was my first big amp. Diming it was not for the meek

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever tried it? The twins claim to fame is its clean tones and massive headroom.... but it WILL overdrive. You can't get its saturated unless you basically crank it ALL the way.

I like to stand in front of it and hit a power chord and feel the soundwaves hit me.
Had to do this with a rental SF Twin for the singer/rhythm guitar player back in the mid 90s - needed crunch, and he hadn't brought any pedals with him. I was through a rental Marshall 100 watt JMP. A big open air stage, but it was uncomfortably loud within about 30 ft of the amps. Marshall could just about keep up, but only just.

The singer bought himself a SF Twin within a couple of months. I bought him a Tube Screamer the following week. Sounded glorious, but I wasn't going to let him do that twice!

Liam

Latest Threads