Dimarzio's defending their double cream

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
We may not like it, but there's no reason for DiMarzio to not try to claim those things.

Having a pair of rounded-ended dual bobbins is not a functional requirement for making a humbucker pickup.

From a functioning standpoint, covers on or off, a config like this would not function different, even though it looks different, wouldn't it?

And, since he's looking to trademark the uncovered-humbucker look, he gets to make the argument. When that fails, at least go after the double-cream look.

It's up to the examiner to find fault and deny. That didn't happen.

As for the rounded pins being "functional".... well, you could make them square, and they'd function, I suppose. They'd be a lot tougher to manufacture that way, and that would be a burden to competition. Something that would make challenging this easier.

Hey.... There you go. Want double-cream? Just make them with squared-end bobbins. No trademark violation. Or square pins. Good luck sourcing them. Or adjusting them.
:cool:

geetarfreek82

Reaction score
Well we don't make our humbuckers with "rounded pins," we use slugs and screws! Does that mean we can make all of the double creams we want?

LtKojak

Reaction score
Well we don't make our humbuckers with "rounded pins," we use slugs and screws! Does that mean we can make all of the double creams we want?
Let me illustrate it for you:

No Problem.

No problem.

HUGE problem.

storey

Reaction score
The double cream thing is not the only d!CK move Larry has made over the years. Look up the polepiece measurements for both standard and f spaced Dimarzios. Now, take those numbers and compare to pole spacing measurements on just about any aftermarket site (Philadelphia Luthier for instance). You'll see the Dimarzios are just a hair (and I mean a hair) wider thereby forcing you to purchase covers from being them. Found this out when in needed covers for some 36th Annis.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
That is disgusting and pathetic!
Like a small winder does not have enough of a tough time trying to make it!:mad:

Ed hunter

Reaction score
The double cream thing is not the only d!CK move Larry has made over the years. Look up the polepiece measurements for both standard and f spaced Dimarzios. Now, take those numbers and compare to pole spacing measurements on just about any aftermarket site (Philadelphia Luthier for instance). You'll see the Dimarzios are just a hair (and I mean a hair) wider thereby forcing you to purchase covers from being them. Found this out when in needed covers for some 36th Annis.
So glad you noticed this! tell me he is not a total money whore.
Unlike a small winder,he is more about the $$$ than a really good p'u

Ed hunter

Reaction score
From everything i have researched online larry has very little to do with the actual pu's design since the super distortion model.
That really is HIS ONLY pu'. His design.
All the latter models were designed by Steve blucher for the pro's or general public.
Pu's like the PAF pro,FRED,Tone zone,transition, air classics,36th PAF,etc,etc were are designed by blucher not larry.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I wonder if he has to actually provide the exact color (like a PANTONE formula). 'Creme' really covers a wide range. I would think any case would have to force him into a formula for an exact color.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I can't believe how vague it is. It's like Ferrari claiming that it has the exclusive right to "the color red which resembles the distinctive shade of blood" on any car with two doors. If any company in the entire automotive world is identified with the color red, it's Ferrari, and that vague claim would still be ridiculous, yet still more valid than this by miles.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I have never owned or purchased Dimarzio pickups new and will not ever. I think Larry and Seymour have some type of understanding or it could be that he doesn't go after SD because that is one of the few people with deep pockets and a legal team to match.

LtKojak

Reaction score
I think Larry and Seymour have some type of understanding or it could be that he doesn't go after SD because that is one of the few people with deep pockets and a legal team to match.
You obviously don't know about the "Cease and Desist" letter sent by the Legal Firm representing DMZ to the Seymour Duncan Co... they've telling customers about the unavailability of that color combo since at least 2004, it their Forum is any indication, but hearsay tells that the feud date early '80s.

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I can't believe how vague it is. It's like Ferrari claiming that it has the exclusive right to "the color red which resembles the distinctive shade of blood" on any car with two doors. If any company in the entire automotive world is identified with the color red, it's Ferrari, and that vague claim would still be ridiculous, yet still more valid than this by miles.
Got some screen wipes I can borrow? That was funny as hell. :laugh2::laugh2:

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
You obviously don't know about the "Cease and Desist" letter sent by the Legal Firm representing DMZ to the Seymour Duncan Co... they've telling customers about the unavailability of that color combo since at least 2004, it their Forum is any indication, but hearsay tells that the feud date early '80s.
That's no hearsay

andreww

Reaction score
I have no problems with Dimarzio, what Larry did was smart. What I do have a problem with is that here in Canada you can't go in to any guitar shop and buy Dimarzio double cream pickups. When I bought my 36 Anniversary PAF I was told by my Toronto area Long & McQuade that the double creams would have to be ordered special. I paid for them and waited for about 8 weeks with no word. Eventually L&M had the last one in Canada shipped from a store in BC. If you are going to hoard that colour for yourself, at least make them available!!!

geetarfreek82

Reaction score
Actually, it's the opposite... Dimarzio's "standard" spacing is 48.5mm, whereas everyone else uses 49.2 (or 49.5). Same with their "F-spaced" pickups: They use 52 mm as opposed to 53 by nearly everyone else.

LtKojak

Reaction score
their "F-spaced" pickups: They use 52 mm
quote form DMZ:
"Compatibility Guide
48.6mm
These covers will fit the DiMarzio® “traditional spaced” humbuckers

51.05mm
These covers will fit the DiMarzio® “F spaced” humbuckers"

HTH,

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But people think Apple is awesome. They are so much worse.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Whoa. I had no idea that it went back that far. How does the "double cream coming covered from the factory" play into this?

Latest Threads