Dimarzio Lovers check this combination

Red Planet

Reaction score
In typical gear fanaticism I already made the purchase but I thought I would ask if anyone has used this combination.
I ordered a Dimarzio PAF 59 Bridge and a PAF Master Neck for my GLP Standard 50s. I'm not happy at all with the bridge PUP on my LP and thought I would try a set of Dimarzios while I was at it. Always wanted some double creams so did that too.

Has anyone used this particular combination and if so what are your thoughts?

I should mention I primarily play traditional blues.

sonar1

Reaction score
I loved a Dimario PAF in the bridge, then a Super-distortion in the neck with a series/parallel mini-toggle for the neck pu. Killer plus twang when you wanted.

AJK1

Reaction score
I’ve had both sets in the same guitar
They were both good, but the Master bridge was killer as it has an A4 magnet in it where all the others are A5
It had a really chewy, bluesy fat sound to it
I would have gone 59 neck, Master bridge
But hopefully you will like your combo

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I love DiMarzio pickups, have several pairs in various guitars, but neither of those. They sound like a winning combination. Keep us posted on your results when you get them installed and have a chance to play them.

Red Planet

Reaction score
I love DiMarzio pickups, have several pairs in various guitars, but neither of those. They sound like a winning combination. Keep us posted on your results when you get them installed and have a chance to play them.
Will do, I have them but havnt put them in. Gonna drop it off at Too Many Guitars today my buddy Kerry is going to put them in. I can do it but my eyes are getting so bad its getting harder for me to do stuff like that.

Red Planet

Reaction score
I did not like the PAF Master pickups. Never tried the PAF59. I like the 36th Anniversaries and the Transitions from DiMarzio.
I have not heard it yet, Im crossing fingers. Going by the PUP specs Im shooting for an almost single coil neck tone and a warmer bridge tone. Though stock the guitar really does sound good I think it can sound better.

I have developed a love hate relationship with burstbuckers. Some things they do great and some not so great. Im coming from strictly a gigging perspective. Im looking for covering all the basses with just the 50s LP, Quilter Aviator Cub, and V3 OCD. Im looking to minimize gear as much as possile.

You should see my PA, I've got it down to a science.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I'm using a 36th Anniversary in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge, love that combo. they actually sell it in a prewired set, but I always go with the Stewmac pre-wired harness so I bought the pickups individually for way cheaper on Reverb.

Red Planet

Reaction score
So a short preliminary report to start. Just got a little time with it and it is sounding good. Very similar tonality as the Burstbuckers but less gain and (I think), with the new electronics the guitar is actually controllable now. I was aiming for three great tones and got six.

With bridge pickup tone control about halfway down and everything else full up I'm getting six great tones with the three pickup positions and same with OCD on. Very usable functional tones.

I'm getting loud clean on neck, lower volume great clean in middle position, and a really nice warmer bridge tone by itself. Then stomp the OCD and get a whole other world. Fluid liquid gain at neck only, a jangly overdrive in middle position and a nice not piercing crunch at bridge only.

Last edited:

Red Planet

Reaction score
So new observations with my rig, 50s wiring works now when it did not before and tone controls are actually useful. Before I could only get harsh tones out of the bridge even using the tone control its sort like it was doing something but not working right hard to explain. Now it works really really well. Very musical on the bridge pickup at about halfway down on the tome control with nice little difference turning a tiny bit up or down in that region. I think this is mostly from the new electronics. Its almost like Gibson found a recipe for 80 percent there and if you want 100 percent you got to buy a Historic. You got to pay up sucka.

Red Planet

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how I can post a video for a demonstration. I don't have a YouTube account. I can upload it at Imgur but I get no audio.

KStopper65

Reaction score
I believe that 50s wiring does make your guitar sound brighter.
I really cant confirm that tho

Latest Threads