Dimarzio 36th PAF review

Huge Gator

Reaction score
I put these in my '99 1960 Classic. The tone is what I was looking for -Dicky Betts circa Fillmore East and Billy Gibbons pre- Elimintor. Now all I need is a Solid State amp to keep it real and not wake the family.

HG

ehamady6

Reaction score
This topic may be better served in the Tonefreaks forum.

formula73

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd really call this a review, either, though I'm glad you dig them. I've been thinking about a set for a little while, now.

Huge Gator

Reaction score
Well taken guys- just learning my way around. Before I joined, I googled the 36s, and most of the info came from MYLESPAUL. Did not pay attention to which forum this info came from at that time.

What constitutes a review?

HG

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
<snip>What constitutes a review? <snip>
simply put, when reviewing gear explain why you like or do not like the product. there are a lot of sub forms here at mlp as well, take time to explore and it should be easy to figure out what goes where.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
simply put, when reviewing gear explain why you like or do not like the product. there are a lot of sub forms here at mlp as well, take time to explore and it should be easy to figure out what goes where.
This+ a vid, soundclip, and/or a comparison is also helpful.:thumb:

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
This thread disappointed me. :shock:

I have been wanting to try the 36th's Anny pickups for a year or more now and no one really seems to have them. So I read this topic and hoped that someone could give a decent tone report.

Glad you dig them though man, but could you please describe the nuances of the pickups a little more?

Like, are they bright? How are the overtones? do you they get nasal sounding like a classic LP should? How are the picking dynamics and do they get cleaner with lighter picking.

Thanks man, just wondering! :hmm:

Huge Gator

Reaction score
Sorry for the lame review. As far as comparing, this is my 1st Gibson LP.
The pups are a bit brite, but they do not muddy up on the low notes, which is what I wanted.Also, yes , picking has a big effect. When you soften up, the sound/tone changes quite a bit-for the good. I]m still tweaking as far as pup height and action(real low).

dazzypig

Reaction score
This thread disappointed me. :shock:

I have been wanting to try the 36th's Anny pickups for a year or more now and no one really seems to have them. So I read this topic and hoped that someone could give a decent tone report.

Glad you dig them though man, but could you please describe the nuances of the pickups a little more?

Like, are they bright? How are the overtones? do you they get nasal sounding like a classic LP should? How are the picking dynamics and do they get cleaner with lighter picking.

Thanks man, just wondering! :hmm:

+1

Oh dear :io:

Huge Gator

Reaction score
actually, I googled these pups before buying them and I believe alot of hits came from this forum(with comments from guys with more knowledge than me). Maybe a search....?

Huge Gator

Reaction score
I guess the word "review" set everyone off. Just trying to share the excitement of a lifelong dream( owning a Gibson Les Paul, and making it sound the way I wanted it to sound)

HG

PS Nico,

Nice Pose

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
I guess the word "review" set everyone off. Just trying to share the excitement of a lifelong dream( owning a Gibson Les Paul, and making it sound the way I wanted it to sound)

HG

PS Nico,

Nice Pose
Thanks.

You should really do a review of them, i have been looking at those pickups for some time and i want them too. :thumb:

StaticRick

Reaction score
I've got a pair of double-cream 36th anniversary's in my R9 and I really like them. They're a lot more "lively" than the BB Pros that I took out. As much as I like the 36th anniv, I don't know if I'd call them a true-PAF sound. To me, they're a little more modern sounding than that. They feel like they're a little higher output and slightly more compressed sounding than the signature "true-PAF" sound.

Disclaimer: I make no claim that this is a "review". Its just one man's opinion. ;)

Eggman

Reaction score
Howdy,

A Dimarzio 36th anniversary (bridge)= Jennifer Lopez in a tiny dress with black fishnet stockings. Any questions? ;)

WoodyTone

Reaction score
As much as I like the 36th anniv, I don't know if I'd call them a true-PAF sound. To me, they're a little more modern sounding than that. They feel like they're a little higher output and slightly more compressed sounding than the signature "true-PAF" sound.

Disclaimer: I make no claim that this is a "review". Its just one man's opinion. ;)
+1. I have heard them but not owned them.

Garner

Reaction score
Woah! Watch mode.. I always wanted this pickup! More please!

2001standard

Reaction score
I had them installed in my 2001 Standard.
This is the sound i wanted, Sweet neck with a Clarity thats like a dream.
Lower the volume a bit and it cleans up even more so. With distortion sounds like a Sweet Wicked Violin!!!

The Bridge is also great, Not as strong as the stock pickups but smoother with some bite. I noticed its not as hairy , But again its a very clear mid rangey sound. If your going for ZZ top or other classic Rock these really do it well.

But i also did other upgrades, Bone nut, Faber locking Aluminum Tailpiece, And a Callaham ABR-1 Steel Bridge. The bridge along with the pickups have transformed my guitar the most. I knew it had that Great Mojo Tone, But now its UNREAL!!!. I've Never Heard Better, My Newphew either. He's doing the same upgrades on his Heritage to tray and keep up LOL.

If your on the fence about these Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups, I'd say give 'em a go. Really great Classic tones.

But that Steel Callaham Bridge Sustains Forever Till i stop it!!! Really has had a dramatic effect in a great way. Singing smooth highs, no more spikey midrange and a tighter warmer bass response. TOO COOL!

David

Latest Threads