Dillion Guitars anyone using them?

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Today on my way home from VA doctor I stopped into a local shop and they had a couple. One was a take on a DC Les Paul jr, the other was a Firebird style with 3 mini's. I didn't have long to really run the firebird as the shop was closing, but it sounded good. It looked to have an ebony board. I guess my question is have any of you guys out there been using them and any in put on them? I always like to here from real people with real world experience. Players have away of breaking it down, as opposed to the company.

Mantis

Reaction score
i own the DC Jr, nice neck / fret board, light, good finish, replaced the pots and cap.
pick up is ok, but a Gibson or fralin might do a bit more justice to it.
got it at a decent price on ebay a few years ago.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Thanks Mantis. I took a look on ebay and seen they had 3 pages of them. I went to the home site and it kinda sucks. Said something about not the same as Dillion in Canada. The bird's on ebay look like rosewood. Not that its a bad thing. I swear the one I played today was ebony and the neck felt great. I looked it over and it was flawless. I wanted to try it with a Fender deville as that is my main amp for shows. But it was sweet sounding on a Marshall class 5. I think I have found my next guitar. I have been really try'n to fight of GAS. I have never owned a firebird style and I feel its time to fix that.

djrussell

Reaction score
I had a single cut Dillion Junior. Really beautiful build quality. Wasnt crazy on their Trans-TV Yellow colour and I hated the P90, but it was a very classy guitar when I had it. The hardware was top notch... but yeah the P90 really let it down. It was very quiet had way too much mid. The best way i can describe the sound was "dry throat"... no sustain, just bleh.

dljr%2058%20tty%20large.jpg

I have been tempted for a long time though to buy their DC Junior in TV yellow and replace the PU...

DillionDLJR58A.jpg

It's as close as you're gonna get to a Gibson DC Junior without the price tag.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Yeah they had a DC. It looked amazing, I didn't have time to play it but I did give it a look. I love me some Gibson, but I feel they have started to really forget about the working class that has to buy their products. I know they have the faded, LPJ, and what not. But so many companies are upping the bar that its worth looking into. Its great to come here and hear from guys that are out in the real world using gear and posting results. Thanks!

djrussell

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I mean theres something wrong when you can buy a really good LP copy like a Hagstrom Swede, an Epiphone Sheraton or even a Fender Strat for cheaper than a 1 pickup, slab body Junior...

The build quality on a Dillion USA Junior though is really nice. Cant speak for the rest of the line, but the little touches make the difference; neck binding, fully adjustable P90 (the profile is routed into the guitar, so it can be moved up and down like a humbucker), classic design. The website has the TV yellow DC Jr as an Alder body and Mahogany on the cherry.

nutsauce

Reaction score
I have a Dillion PRS copy. The guitar looks great, feels and plays good, but I don't care for the pickups.

dcooper

Reaction score
my wife bought me this in 2004 Dillion Touring Edition V, it was a real nice guitar, played good,sounded good, seemed to be built good no problems at all. sold it as we have around 40 guitars in the house, and I have a white V
I like more. if you get a chance try one.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
I've played and gigged with a band whose guitarist used two Dillions. Strangely they were a LP Jr DC and a Firebird...!

Anyways, this guy had a great sound. He popped in good pickups/pots and that was that. They sounded and played as well as Historic equivalents with the work he put in. The neck felt different (I think it was poly?) but it looked nice.

jageya

Reaction score
i am looking at the dillions lp junior and torn between a tv yellow in alder wood and cherry in mahogany wood....any opinions on this either way?...seems they weigh the same which is odd...

gibsonman63

Reaction score
I have 3 Dillion guitars 2 pearloid telecasters and pearloid firebird, I must say Im impressed the teles are nice and the firebird is way cool. They all sound good and for the money you cant go wrong.

WinterFan

Reaction score
Jumping in here...new to the forum. I just bought a brand new Dillion Firebird, read a lot of great reviews about them. Only problem is that it has a bad neck. Brand new guitar, not even playable. Took it to a guitar tech who worked on the frets to make it playable. Stupid move on my part, that voided the warranty.
Jealous of you guys who got one of the "good ones". Be careful.

Telechamp

Reaction score
I have a Dillion PRS copy. The guitar looks great, feels and plays good, but I don't care for the pickups.

Same here. I also had a Dillion PRS copy. Yes, beautiful guitar, but the P90 pickups in it were horrible. Traded it in on other gear.

Les Paulskii

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I mean theres something wrong when you can buy a really good LP copy like a Hagstrom Swede, an Epiphone Sheraton or even a Fender Strat for cheaper than a 1 pickup, slab body Junior...

The build quality on a Dillion USA Junior though is really nice. Cant speak for the rest of the line, but the little touches make the difference; neck binding, fully adjustable P90 (the profile is routed into the guitar, so it can be moved up and down like a humbucker), classic design. The website has the TV yellow DC Jr as an Alder body and Mahogany on the cherry.

Hi djrussell, I've noticed through my research that you've had (or have?) both the Gladiator and Dillion LPJ's... The Gladiators seemed to cop a lot of praise, how would you say they compare? These Dillion things look half decent.. Wilkinson pickup and hardware with Grovers http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar/electric/DL/DLJR58/2up.html

With the Gladiators no longer in production I'm racking my brain trying to find the next best thing, problem is (as I'm sure you well know) being in Aus means it can be hard to find these obscure items and try them out in person.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, thanks mate

- I should probably point out that I've never played the Gladiator (or any LPJ for that matter) so I'm just going off what I'm reading and whatever videos happen to be on youtube

Latest Threads