Dilemma - Fake spotted

whateverlikesgadge

Reaction score
I spotted my first fake today in the window of a local pawn shop.
It was selling for £1700. It was one of those chinese knock offs of a Les Paul Supreme. No nibs, headstock shape wrong, fretboard not ebony, lower horn slighly wrong in shape etc.

What should I do? :hmm: Contact Gibson or Let the guy know?

I mean the guy that is doing the buying and selling for this shop obviously doesn't know what he's doing judging by the out of touch prices he has on his genuine guitars. The shop was closed so I didn't go in.

kmk108

Reaction score
If you're convinced he doesn't know, tell him. Someone could buy it, see it's a fake and take it up with him.

whateverlikesgadge

Reaction score
Well I only knew that it was fake after all the info that I learned from being on the forum. There are a lot of people who would get taken. I just dont know the shop keepers motive or even that they are aware.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well I only knew that it was fake after all the info that I learned from being on the forum. There are a lot of people who would get taken. I just dont know the shop keepers motive or even that they are aware.

But you have the knowledge now. What will you do? :hmm:

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You could go in and do the 'act daft' routine.

Ask to examine the guitar, and little by little point out the discrepancies. You might end up by saying something like: 'Holy Shit, Man, with my knowledge and experience of Gibson Les Pauls, I do believe this is not the genuine article. You should get hold of the guy who passed this to you, and get your money back. Or report him to the Police.' The shop owner will either thank you profusely for your advice, or tell you to get the fuck out of his shop and don't come in again. If he does the latter, just tell him as you leave that you'll tip all your mates off that he's selling fake guitars...

davebag89

Banned
Reaction score
Whenever I see one, I point out whats wrong with it and tell the guy to check his records and pull up whoever sold it to him

Iancognito

Reaction score
Strange that they'd be paying so much for a guitar they weren't certain about. Imagine running a shop and handing over 1700 for a copy.

Latest Threads