Differing Mindsets In Canada (And Elsewhere) And The US - What Causes Fear In The US?

River

Reaction score
one would want to think about why do you need or want to have a spare tire in you vehicle!? is it FEAR or maybe is a precautionary thing ? truly if you know when your gonna have a flat you wouldn't need one! but some how, the UNFORSEEN HAS a way of happening! I WOULDT WANT TO BE WITHOUT A SPARE WOULD YOU!
Preparation for a flat = being prepared to kill someone?! :shock:

Guitarhack

Reaction score
I think the confusion stems from the assumption that all Americans think like the individual that is portrayed in the article. They don't.

Also that the average citizen thinks the same way a law enforcement officer thinks. They don't.

That being said, I know how violent criminals think and I know how they act. I know how little some of them value life and how quick they would be to take it. Am I prepared to kill one if I have to? You better believe it.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
The underlying message I see in responses is that in the US, someone breaking in to rob you or you being accosted on the street is a simple inevitability, as though it were merely a routine annoyance with off the shelf solutions as readily available as bug spray or mouth wash.

Observe: mental filters in action.

zeronalo

Reaction score
i was thinking, maybe the "fear"is caused by the complete inadequacy of the justice system.

Man commits robbery and is out on probation. Commits another robbery (or 2) and is arrested. He then bonds out and commits another robbery at the same location 2 weeks after his first arrest. He is arrested for a second time and a week later he bonds out again.

Now in this completely hypothetical situation (;)), would you think poorly of the property owner for having a firearm at his place of business?

we have a local thief who has been stealing from the local farms and businesses for the past 12+ years. We all got sick of this guy going in and out of jail so we had a meeting with the city prosecutor. While at the meeting the prosecutor went to print the guys arrest record so we could all look at it - he came back 5 minutes later with big eyes saying it was still printing. 11 pages of arrests and each page holds maybe 8-10 records and he's out on the street. He finally went away for 3 years for stealing a boat out of a cops yard in the next town. Our crime rate was 90% less - now he's out and it's worse than ever.

can't kill him - can't get the justice system to put him away.............

Freddy

Daryl Licht

Reaction score
Whenever a particular point of view is not understood, it's labeled as fear. The US has typically been made of people (until the last few years at least) who understand that in a free society, we must take care of ourselves and our own.

Question for those in regions where individual armament is frowned upon and not permitted. What are you afraid of?

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I don't know, it is much deeper than that. We have the right to bear arms so people exercise their freedom to have guns. There is just too much insanity in the world and that includes your neighbors. Many in society (in the US) are all on long-term prescription drugs affecting their mental and physical health. People just want to protect themselves. There are far too many mentally unstable people who legally can walk the streets. I'm not one who walks around in public in fear who needs to carry a weapon even thought the only thing I'm afraid of in a confrontation is a gun. I can't out run or overpower a bullet coming my way. I do own hunting rifle, Marlin 30-30 lever action that I would use for protection if someone invaded my home.

I also think there are plenty of asshole gun owners who need a weapon and CW permit to make their pathetic asses look tough and will probably use a weapon when its really is not needed. This coupled with decline in mental health of certain individuals is a recipe for mass murders like the Joker killer at the Batman movie.

If everyone is armed they are equals but the problem is people don't think clearly. People drink and do stupid shit, get in an argument pull out the 9 and end a life. That is what I have a problem with handguns. Shit I know if I have a handgun in my car I probably would have blown off my own head sitting rush hour traffic LOL. I have witnessed road rage where if the certain individuals were armed it wouldnt be a pretty sight...in fact this has happened before here.

Electroman67

Reaction score
we have a local thief who has been stealing from the local farms and businesses for the past 12+ years. We all got sick of this guy going in and out of jail so we had a meeting with the city prosecutor. While at the meeting the prosecutor went to print the guys arrest record so we could all look at it - he came back 5 minutes later with big eyes saying it was still printing. 11 pages of arrests and each page holds maybe 8-10 records and he's out on the street. He finally went away for 3 years for stealing a boat out of a cops yard in the next town. Our crime rate was 90% less - now he's out and it's worse than ever.

can't kill him - can't get the justice system to put him away.............

Freddy
Loose lips sink ships.......just sayin'. :hmm:

Eric Smith

Reaction score
Oh come on people, they're on to us. We are all issued a Colt 45 at birth and carry it in a shoulder holster from that day until the day we die.

Spirithawk

Reaction score
Ya know what? I'm legally licensed to carry so get over it is the way I'm answering any more.

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
good thing there's no guns in canada.

they haven't won a stanley cup in so long they would all be commiting suicide if they had handguns by now

Just to clear things up, you can be licensed and purchase handguns legally in Canada under a restricted license, you just aren't allowed to carry. It has to be locked in a safe, with trigger lock and unloaded. You can transport it in this manner to the gun range and back.

If you used a gun to defend yourself in your home against intruders who were armed, you would likely be charged with a few criminal code violations, Like this guy.

Spirithawk

Reaction score
Preparation for a flat = being prepared to kill someone?! :shock:

Glass half empty or half full? You see it as being prepared to kill somebody because you wish to. I see it as being prepared to save a life, mine or others, because I wish to.

Daryl Licht

Reaction score
So a guy is in his home and somebody tries to set fire to it while he's there. This is an attempt on this man's life, and in defense of his and/or his family's lives, he is justified in taking the perpetrators' lives, or at least stopping them, either by detaining at gunpoint or shooting if necessary, so they can be apprehended by the proper authorities. He, like the Americans in question in this thread, isn't afraid, he's prepared to deal with problems as they arise.

My mind can't comprehend any logic other than this. To deny people the right to defend themselves and their homes is indefensible.

Just to clear things up, you can be licensed and purchase handguns legally in Canada under a restricted license, you just aren't allowed to carry. It has to be locked in a safe, with trigger lock and unloaded. You can transport it in this manner to the gun range and back.

If you used a gun to defend yourself in your home against intruders who were armed, you would likely be charged with a few criminal code violations, Like this guy.

JMV

Reaction score
This video might help others outside the US understand. Then again, it might not. :dunno:

It's a fantastic, while dark and graphic, example of the things we see and/or hear about every single day. FYI - it is violent and NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ZEbyDee8A

I don't know why the video won't embed, but the link goes straight to the YouTube video.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We have guns for two reasons:

1.) Protecting ourselves from each other
2.) Protecting ourselves from a tyrannical gov't

It's that simple and shall not be infringed. Ever.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I have heard them talk of this many times on our mtn biking trips. Mainly the guns (big rifles) are for protection from wildlife from what I understand, but I have heard them both talk about finding people illegally hunting on their property and both of them were somewhat concerned of the "character" of these guys. The two legged varmit as they called them. These guys live in cabins in the sticks but we are talking about cabins that are nicer than most homes I have seen. I will see both of these cats this fall and now want to ask them what they think bout the mentality on either side of the border. Colchar, if you are saying that you guys have bad areas but nothing compared to the chitholes we have here -I can totally believe that. One reason is you guys have politicians who I would want as neighbors compared to the used car salesmen we have as politicians who are nothing short of corrupt.

I had thought you were referring to them carrying handguns which is beyond illegal here. Hell, even off-duty cops aren't allowed to carry handguns in Canada. Rifles on their own property is an entirely different issue.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
good thing there's no guns in canada.

they haven't won a stanley cup in so long they would all be commiting suicide if they had handguns by now

Do you even realize that the majority of NHL players are Canadian? They might play for US based teams but they are Canadian. Hell, since the league started we have put almost 5000 players in the league while the US has put less than 1000 there.

NHL Totals by Nationality - Career Stats

And that trend continues as in the 2011-2012 season there were 527 Canadian players in the league and only 235 Americans.

NHL Totals by Nationality, 2011-12 Stats

Latest Threads