differences between the explorer neck and Les Paul neck other than the headstock?

mangus

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm trying to order an explorer neck from a guy in China and he asked me if he could just reshape the headstock of a Les Paul. Not having ever held an explorer I don't know what to say but I suspect from looking at the picture that even the body joint is different.
Can someone point out all the differences apart from the fretboard inlays and lack of binding?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Don't order Chinese parts. It's going to bend, twist, and warp on you and as for the truss rod, it's a hunk of garbage that's going to snap at the nut as soon as you try to make a significant adjustment.

Chinese guitar parts are GARBAGE. Don't waste your money.

Explorer headstocks are substantially longer than Gibson 3+3 headstocks.

mangus

Reaction score
No parts, just the neck and in regards to necks from this specific seller haven't had any issues yet.
I just really wanted to know in regards to heel and neck width. Is it more similar to a SG neck?

warprider

Reaction score
How would he re-shape a LP headstock into an Explorer?

I'd be more worried about the heel compatibility. This is a set in neck, correct?

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, if the neck is already made you have the issue of the different body join location. Not only would the tenon be cut too far down the fretboard for an Explorer, but you might find the explorer will use a longer overall wood blank as the typical tenon goes past the neck pickup rout like the V does.

Rick

Reaction score
Explorer has it's own neck shape depending on the year. The "Explorer Shape" is more D shaped than a regular 60s thin IME.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Yeah the lp joins at the 16th fret, explorer is around 18th or 19th so the heal and tenon are completely different. Its definitely closer to an Sg but with more of an lp heal on the end, could the maker just make a sg neck and not contour a heal or tenon just carve the back profile till the 16th fret. This would allow you to make the tenon and heal to suit.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
A Chinese made neck or body is a Chinese made part. Just say no. Don't WASTE your money on crap Chinese guitars and crap Chinese made pieces and parts.

The odds of getting something actually decent out of the Chinese are pretty low.

Save your money and buy from Warmoth or some other company that actually has a name and a decent reputation.

Or, heck, just build the neck yourself. It's NOT that hard to do. And it's way more fun than working with a kit neck.