Differences between R8 and R9? (noob question I know)

LPB-7

Reaction score
Hi All,
Was wondering what some of the major differences between the R8's and R9's are? I understand the R8's have somewhat thicker necks...How much thicker are they? I mean, is it very noticeable in the hands? Are the necks consistent? I know I need to go out and play some, but haven't been able to escape yet. What other differences are there between these two guitars? Thanks much. Maybe someone can direct me to an already existing thread? My search was too broad I think.. got all sorts of nonsense to what I'm trying to find out. Cheers,

IG

Here's this to help

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Also, the necks are all over the place for 2013. I've played 2013 R9 necks that are basically the same as a R8.

LPB-7

Reaction score
Thanks, That turned out to be quite helpful.

Sure, no prob.

The tough thing about this is that its very difficult to find an R8 figured. For 2013, Gibson has randomly made figured R8's and some dealers have them: The Music Zoo, House of Guitars, Wildwood Guitar, Daves Guitar Shop, Rainbow Guitars and Sweetwater. There's two versions available, the R8 gloss limited lightly figured with underwound custom buckers and tonepros long studs and posts and the R8 VOS figured with regular custom buckers, and the same specs as the plaintop. The funny is that the COA does not say LPR8-F it just has the LPR8. Here's he links for each version.

Gibson Custom Shop Limited Run Hand-Picked Lightly Figured '58 Les Paul Electric Guitar Gibbons Burst | The Music Zoo

Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Reissue VOS 2013 Version | Dave's Guitar Shop

Latest Threads