Difference in Tone - Slash LP vs 50s Standard LP

SD1030

Reaction score
I’m wondering if anyone can help me out here. What’s the difference in tone between the standard 50s LP and the Slash LP?

I’ve read that the Slash LP has basically a hot-rodded version of the Alnico II Burstbuckers which is found in the 50s. I guess that makes them more beefy and punchy?

I’m looking for a warmer, mellower, all around tone. I want to be able to play blues, rock, the whole gamut basically. Versatile.

Any insights, please?

sonar1

Reaction score
The Slash neck is all that, but the bridge is hotter and midrangey in a great way. Not for country however.
’50’s are weaker, slightly. And have a nice sound I like, but leaves me wanting more girth.
490’s work for me.
But I’m an old geezer with blown out ears. YMMV

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Owning both guitars I can say that the diff is the Slash is a more modern sounding guitar. Alot more output better for heavier songs. Where as my 50's has that vintage vibe and low output tone to it. I think the 50's is way more guitar for the money than the slash is..... Plus with the 50s and what you pay for it you can afford to replace a few things and do some upgrades. I think I paid 499 for my 50s 2020 godtop brand new where as I paid 875 for my slash. And lets not forget the bigger neck profile on the 50's guitar and the long neck tenon....

jbash

Reaction score
Tonally, the only difference is the pickups. They are the same guitars with different aesthetics, and some minor hardware differences (like the strap locks, EB paradigm strings from the factory,no pickguard installed )

The Slashbuckers are a bit more "modern" sounding yes, but they are also a bit sweeter and warmer than the BB1/2- which are a bit rougher around the edges/raw in the highs and mids, and looser in the lows.

At the time I bought mine, when the Slash model was new, the upgrade in the top and the finishes available was worth the increased cost for me. My last 3 Les Pauls had been the 3 colors they offered in the 50s Standard, none of which float my boat. Also there were no AAA tops available in the 50s models like there is now. Finally, most of the 50s standards were well into the 9 pound range or higher, and the Slash standards were more often than not 9 lbs and lighter.

That was before all the Covidiocy. Nowadays all the tops, AAA or otherwise, are on average much lesser quality as sourcing them has become more difficult, and the number of lightweight guitars is less frequent. I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Peter M

Reaction score
I’m looking for a warmer, mellower, all around tone. I want to be able to play blues, rock, the whole gamut basically. Versatile.
Slash Std's. have a bit more growl than the regular '50s Std's, in my experience. But they can be just as versatile. Try some out and compare.

BTW - I fell in love with the Slash Std line and am in danger of collecting 'em all. Be warned! :slash:

juanpuol

Reaction score
Owning both guitars I can say that the diff is the Slash is a more modern sounding guitar. Alot more output better for heavier songs. Where as my 50's has that vintage vibe and low output tone to it. I think the 50's is way more guitar for the money than the slash is..... Plus with the 50s and what you pay for it you can afford to replace a few things and do some upgrades. I think I paid 499 for my 50s 2020 godtop brand new where as I paid 875 for my slash. And lets not forget the bigger neck profile on the 50's guitar and the long neck tenon....
I agree with this comment. I have a Trad 2019, which in features is the same as the new Standard 50s (although I noticed some differences when playing a Standard in the store), including the BB12.

I made a video in my YouTube Channel:

My impressions are that in recording the differences are not as high as when playing them. I which I knew why.
Anyways, for something more vintage sounding I would go with the 50s.

juanpuol

Reaction score
Slash Std's. have a bit more growl than the regular '50s Std's, in my experience. But they can be just as versatile. Try some out and compare.

BTW - I fell in love with the Slash Std line and am in danger of collecting 'em all. Be warned! :slash:
I wish I could have at least my 2 favourite from the line, goldtop and Vermilion.

gball

Reaction score
I went into the shop to buy a Slash and walked out with a '50s Standard. The difference in tone is very minor, IMO, and not enough to base a decision on. Overall playability and tone tipped the scales to the Standard and the lower price was just icing.

In the end the Standard was just a better value (and I wanted a Goldtop) and honestly I felt the BBs performed just as well and were just as defined and dynamic as the Slash pickups with mid to high gain, which is where I use them.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Alot of people lnock the Gibson alnico 2 pups that come in the Slash model. I may have gotten a really good set but I like them even over the APH2's . I of course took them out and put the APH2's cause my OCD demanded my Slash had to have Slash sig pups lol . I stuck these Gibson Slash in my epi JB laz and man what a comfortable sounding pair of pups. I wouldn't pull those out for the anything or at least anything I could afford!!

SD1030

Reaction score
Do the slash pickups sound good clean? Or do the 50s bursts sound better? Are the slash pickups made to play clean? Or only dirty?

silverface

Reaction score
I’m wondering if anyone can help me out here. What’s the difference in tone between the standard 50s LP and the Slash LP?

I’ve read that the Slash LP has basically a hot-rodded version of the Alnico II Burstbuckers which is found in the 50s. I guess that makes them more beefy and punchy?

Any insights, please?
Other than the pickups it's a total crapshoot. I've played a dozen 50's bursts, 3 Derrigs, Gibson reissues, custom builder copies of whatever, R8's & 9's, 1970's & 80's Japanese LP clones and no specific model has a sound you can absolutely pin down - in other words, one "Slash" LP may sound quite a bit different from another made a week later in the hands of the same player..

And diferent guitars react differently to variations in attack, right hand position, pick type, amplifiction...

The Slash LP and Standard are different - but to some players one Standard might sound EXACTLY like a specific Slash model. You have to have both of them avavailable at the same time and go back and forth to figure out which SPECIFIC guitar has the vibe you want - and preferably while blindfolded, so there's no "name" bias. And if buying pick one of the ones you have PLAYED - preferably through your own amp.

Guitars are made of wood(s), and wood(s) vary in resonance, weight and other factors. Glue two types together made of 2-5 or 6 pieces of each with hardware mounted under varying amounts of pressure in multiple directions; add pickups that vary slightly in output and frequency response - and the resulting sound of a specific model (despite reviews online and in guitar mags) simply is NOT predictable...or always repeatable.

You have to play a specific guitar to know what it sounds like.

SD1030

Reaction score
Would you guys say slashbuckers are warmer in tone to 50s humbuckers? Or the other way around?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood but is it true the standard 50’s have a long neck tenon? I always thought the Gibson USA standards all had short neck tenon. Would be a nice surprise if it’s actually a long one.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood but is it true the standard 50’s have a long neck tenon? I always thought the Gibson USA standards all had short neck tenon. Would be a nice surprise if it’s actually a long one.
No I didn't realize what forum I was in ? I was speaking about the Epi Slash and 50's guitars.. Totally my bad guys. No long neck tenon for the regular 50's Gibson....

InTheEvening

Reaction score
No I didn't realize what forum I was in ? I was speaking about the Epi Slash and 50's guitars.. Totally my bad guys. No long neck tenon for the regular 50's Gibson....
All good! For a minute I got my hopes up haha. Not that it’s a big deal, love the way these standards play and sound regardless of the tenon. :D

rbraad68

Reaction score
I am not sure how much of a diff it makes or not having the long neck tenon?? My ears don't hear anything but I am sure in the big picture it prob does but for the ave person I don't think they are going to notice. I would think the beefier neck would make the biggest difference in resonation than anything....

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I am not sure how much of a diff it makes or not having the long neck tenon?? My ears don't hear anything but I am sure in the big picture it prob does but for the ave person I don't think they are going to notice. I would think the beefier neck would make the biggest difference in resonation than anything....
Would agree. I’ve played a few historics but I have no idea how much if at all the neck tenon factors in to affect the sound since there’s so many other factors like the pickups, neck thickness, hardware, etc. that can affect the tone as well. It’s nice structurally, and I see the benefit since it’s got more contact with the body but not sure if it makes a practical difference in actual sound and feel. Haven’t played enough historics or standards to say myself.

Latest Threads