Difference between Studio and Custom?

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
On the outset, I know this seems like a silly question, but I'll go ahead and ask it: what is the real-world difference between a studio and les paul custom? More specifically, the alpine white studios that were equipped with ebony boards and 490/498 pups, which are also the current LPC specs.

I know the fit and finish (binding), long neck tenon and maybe higher grade woods are different, but aside from that, anything else to really warrant the price difference? Ive always wanted a white LPC but just curious as to how different it would sound compared to my similarly spec'd studio in the real world.

Any input is appreciated

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that Mother of Pearl adds a considerable amount of tone... That’s the secret.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the outset, I know this seems like a silly question, but I'll go ahead and ask it: what is the real-world difference between a studio and les paul custom? More specifically, the alpine white studios that were equipped with ebony boards and 490/498 pups, which are also the current LPC specs.

I know the fit and finish (binding), long neck tenon and maybe higher grade woods are different, but aside from that, anything else to really warrant the price difference? Ive always wanted a white LPC but just curious as to how different it would sound compared to my similarly spec'd studio in the real world.

Any input is appreciated
Nothing like a Gibson LP custom but that particular studio is "custom like".

Saiko

Reaction score
The customs have better wood, better fit and finish, and (subjectively) look a lot better. I love studios but my Custom is certainly a few steps above the ones I have played.

That being said, my first Les Paul was a Studio and I sold it and have regretted it ever since.

ARandall

Reaction score
Studios have a 1/4" thinner body.
Other than that, its just the bling parts.

Oh, and if its after 2006 then studios are chambered rather than 9 hole weight relief.

But every guitar is a bit different. I have a 70's custom that sounds different to other guitars even when the very same pickup pair is swapped between them. So you cannot just say every guitar will sound identical.

Reactions: Who

tzd

Reaction score
The Custom's body is thicker and heavier than the Studio. And I find the Studio neck feels slightly smaller than a Standard or Custom neck, even for the same profile.

Reactions: Who

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Primarily looks and bling.

If you take a white or black studio and put gold parts on it, you can get pretty close to a Custom look.

Latest Threads