Difference between MXR GT-OD and MXR Custom Badass OD

Mattyboy

Reaction score
From what I've gathered, the GT-OD is a clone of the TS-808, and the Custom Badass OD is a modified SD-1 clone?

I own the GT-OD and like it alot, but am wondering if buying the Custom BA-OD is that much different to justify the purchase?

Thanks.

Batman

Reaction score
The main difference between them is the difference in clipping. I prefer asymmetrical clipping like the SD-1 so I prefer the sound of the M77 but they occupy very similar places in the sound spectrum. . .the M77 with the bump switch engaged is essentially a Tubescreamer.

Mattyboy

Reaction score
The main difference between them is the difference in clipping. I prefer asymmetrical clipping like the SD-1 so I prefer the sound of the M77 but they occupy very similar places in the sound spectrum. . .the M77 with the bump switch engaged is essentially a Tubescreamer.

Thanks Batman, this helps a great deal.

So, if I purchased the M77; I could get the flavor of an SD1 with the bump switch off & the sound of a tubescreamer (ts808 or ts9) with the bump switch engaged?

If so, then I might need to give a more serious look to the M77.

Batman

Reaction score
Thanks Batman, this helps a great deal.

So, if I purchased the M77; I could get the flavor of an SD1 with the bump switch off & the sound of a tubescreamer (ts808 or ts9) with the bump switch engaged?

If so, then I might need to give a more serious look to the M77.

Yeah, pretty close to those two pedals. . .its a really nice versatile OD. The 100Hz knob is a seriously nice addition as well. . .you can really fatten up the sound without altering the overall tone.

Tobacco Worm

Reaction score
Mattyboy and Batman,

Thanks for clearing this one up for me. I had been looking into the GT-OD model, but was not exactly sure if it was for me. Like I need another dirtbox to add, but you know the worm, he thrives in the dirt! When I hit two dozen dirtboxes I might have to sell or trade a few huh? Naaawww, I gotta have my dirt! But now I know a bit more about this, and the other from MXR.:thumb:

Wade

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
From what I've gathered, the GT-OD is a clone of the TS-808, and the Custom Badass OD is a modified SD-1 clone?

I own the GT-OD and like it alot, but am wondering if buying the Custom BA-OD is that much different to justify the purchase?

Thanks.

The GT-OD has a switch on the PCB that allows you to chose between GT-OD settings and the ZW-44.

(Anyone here who can confirm that the ZW-44 setting is basically the same as the bump switch on the CB-OD?)

Modded mine so the switch is on the outside.

Mattyboy

Reaction score
I went and traded the GT-OD for the M77 Custom BAOD this past Saturday. So far, I'm happy with the trade.
I didn't lose anything. As Batman stated, the M77 gives out pretty much the same grind as the GTOD with the bump switch off.
Turn the bump on & you have a real deep, smokey drive. Very similar to the Green Rhino OD. Not really my cup of tea, but the option is always there if I choose.

Latest Threads