didn't see a Quilter thread, belated NAD Toneblock 202 Content

chef

Reaction score
I know this is a tube amp oriented group :dude:, and the cult of Quilter exists (primarily) on Facebook.:thumbs:. (no joke).

I have a few tube amps, but was looking for a Fender style amp for reggae use mostly (e.g. need clean headroom).

Roland JC120s are also popular but not a huge fan of the sound, too shrill.

I was mostly using a AC30 head which can do some nice cleans but not inherently a clean amp in the same way a Fender can be.

I've played various Fender amps, but for home studio use I was leaning towards a Princeton or a Princeton style head, although I enjoyed all of the supers and twins that I've played but probably too much power but I'm not looking for breakup either.

I have a couple cabs that work well for reggae with my other amps, but my favorite is a Jensen p10q alnico 10".

About a year ago I spent six months trying to play as many fender and fender style amps as I could.

I consulted a pro reggae player I know, telling him exactly what I was looking for. He recommended before buying a fender style tube amp, I check out the Quilter Toneblock 202 (solid state, omg).

I'm glad I did, and I bought one.

It has three modes, one for hooking up to a modeler "FRFR" , one which is a Quilter specific EQ "Full Q" and the third is "Vintage" AKA Fender Blackface.

It's been a great amp, takes pedals really well, sounds great with or without an EQ in the loop. I pretty much only use the "Vintage" mode.

Really not much to it, 0-200 watts, clean or dirty depending on how you set the gain. Three band EQ, Headroom to spare, or bluesy breakup. I don't play much high gain, but they make a D-style amp in this series that sounds good if that's what you want but I have some pedals for that.

This is the only amp I have that can keep my LP (490/98) super clean and loud enough to record reggae.

This amp has a low noise floor compared to my tube amps, and can dial in a variety of Fender type sounds.

Really seems to do well with moderate OD pedals.

All and all I'm digging this as an improvement over and cure for my fender style amp GAS for now.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I had a Quilter 101 and it was pretty good. I wish they made small rectangular units that could be made to fit into a DIY combo. I had built a custom cabinet for my 101 but it always seemed a little goofy.

Right now I am just using a class D cheap stereo amp and running my Line 6 HX Stomp into it.

LP1865

Reaction score
Michael Angelo Batio used to use them, makes them good enough for me.
I have considered them but they have very poor distribution

chef

Reaction score
Michael Angelo Batio used to use them, makes them good enough for me.
I have considered them but they have very poor distribution
If you follow the Quilter group on Facebook, it seems to be well split between shredders and jazz guys with a few pedal steel and reggae players thrown in... What could possibly go wrong.... ?

tzd

Reaction score
I had a Quilter 101 and it was pretty good. I wish they made small rectangular units that could be made to fit into a DIY combo. I had built a custom cabinet for my 101 but it always seemed a little goofy.

Right now I am just using a class D cheap stereo amp and running my Line 6 HX Stomp into it.
Here's a cab made to fit the 101 - https://www.vboutiqueusa.com/shop/vque-1-x-12/

chef

Reaction score
Neat cab, there are various Q compatible cabs I've seen, some do look quite wonky.

I usually go for heads except for my pro Jr. which I use mostly as a cab for the quilter.

If I had a 101 which is smaller than the 202 (which is still small compared to tubes) I would mount it on a pedalboard probably put it under a pedal or two. They are super solid chassis.

I like the fact that it is dead quiet and has a good line out for recording.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
They could make the 101 to be about half the thickness in a perfectly rectangular box. It would then be easy to integrate into a DIY cab. I thought about getting one of the Micro block pedals at one point as well. I like to have a stereo set up at home but a super small portable amp would be cool.

Latest Threads