Did you watch Chernobyl?

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Operator error put them in a position where the emergency scram button caused an explosion. They lost control of the reactor prior to that and also ignored regulations that required a minimum number of control rods be inserted at all times. Under normal circumstances, if they scram the reactor, they get a temporary slight increase in power before it drops off. Due to operator error, they were in position where it was a massive surge. But they also seemed unaware of the xenon issue that caused the original power surge, which is even more operator error.
They were unaware of it because it was kept from the training of operators. You cannot completely fault Akimov for hitting the oh shit button to scram the reactor, as in his mind that SHOULD shut the reactor down. Dyatlov should have known it's out of limits to perform the test with the reactor at such low power, but it was clearly HIS orders which led Akimov to his actions. Some documentaries really slam the water pump operator (I forget his name) and Akimov as dunces, but they were only trying to please Dyatlov.

Besides in Soviet Russia, reactors control you!

PeteK

Reaction score
They were unaware of it because it was kept from the training of operators. You cannot completely fault Akimov for hitting the oh shit button to scram the reactor, as in his mind that SHOULD shut the reactor down. Dyatlov should have known it's out of limits to perform the test with the reactor at such low power, but it was clearly HIS orders which led Akimov to his actions. Some documentaries really slam the water pump operator (I forget his name) and Akimov as dunces, but they were only trying to please Dyatlov.

Besides in Soviet Russia, reactors control you!
I realize that. I'm saying there were a lot of operator errors prior to pushing that button. They may not have known about the graphite tip issue, but they knew about the other stuff like temperature coefficient and xenon poisoning and regulations for minimum control rods. Even just the general operator practice of slow and steady. Akimov seemed to know that the ramp rate was far too aggressive but he did it anyway. So when the xenon cooked off, which it seemed like he knew it would do, they had a huge power surge.

He obviously can't be blamed for the design flaw of the control rods and he did what he thought was right by pushing the button. But it sure seemed like they could have avoided needing to push the button in the first place

Death Incarnate

The Destructor
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Two episodes in, and I find it kind of dry and clinical. It feels more like a 1980s or 1990s made for TV movie, with modern lighting and cinematography, than the higher calibre of most HBO programming. However, I did just finish True Detective season 3, which was so stunning, that whatever I watched next was going to seem really weak in comparison.

Those frustrating clowns in denial remind me of management and executives I've worked under at software startups. People who somehow think if they just keep repeating out loud how they want things to be, that will somehow make the world bend to their will.

PeteK

Reaction score
Two episodes in, and I find it kind of dry and clinical. It feels more like a 1980s or 1990s made for TV movie, with modern lighting and cinematography, than the higher calibre of most HBO programming. However, I did just finish True Detective season 3, which was so stunning, that whatever I watched next was going to seem really weak in comparison.

Those frustrating clowns in denial remind me of management and executives I've worked under at software startups. People who somehow think if they just keep repeating out loud how they want things to be, that will somehow make the world bend to their will.
I avoided True Detective season 3 because season 2 sucked. Maybe I need to watch it

Death Incarnate

The Destructor
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I avoided True Detective season 3 because season 2 sucked. Maybe I need to watch it
Season 3 is absolutely stunning and a worthy heir to season 1.

My only criticism, which is something I actually enjoyed, was that s3 hit some of the same beats from s1 on purpose, with the long wide rural panning shots as they drive, the two partners’ relationship, the talks in car drives with grey muted tones, the shifting time periods, them being interviewed, etc. etc.

Those things are all missing from s2 and are sorely missed big time. I love s2, but it was a totally different show that was an urban crime noir with dirty cops, politicians, etc. instead of a southern gothic mood piece. If Ray (Colin Farrel) had a more contrasted partner with scenes like s1 and s3, it would be up there.

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
no politics!

:laugh2: