Did you watch Chernobyl?

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Seen all the real footage which was available when I was in the Dutch Army in 1993 during my ABC training...
Horrible stuff to watch. Over an hour of recorded material.
Specially the realization that many of the people seen in the footage were dead (when I watched it).
Helicopter pilots, firefighters and the volunteer soldiers at the scene.
Anyway. That was at the end of the 1st cold war era. Russian (or was it still Soviet, at the time) were reasonably open in giving information about their country.

Snippet from that same training was a story about a Brazilian worker at a radioactive material mine who put a shiny metallic piece of material, the size of a 25c coin, in his front pocket of his coveralls and forgot about it.
Died a couple of months later. Such a small unprocessed piece, yet so deadly...

Anyway. Will probably watch it soonish. Watching True Detective season 3 now.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Premium Member
Reaction score
here's that video of the control room tour

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
A-Zed-5..

They got into the rods today...

Looks like the blow by blow will be in the court room next week.

It was kina boring this week .... dog/pet lovers beware....

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Just watched the first episode. Pretty good so far other than the English accents.

I kept thinking while watching, were these people stupid or just evil? I think some maybe both. Like no one wanted to admit the reactor exploded even though there are people puking their organs out all around them. Pretty insane
Go on youtube people can take tours on their own risk of the other reactors only the elelephants foot /reactor 4 and basement are off limits .There is one cute but insane German chick who lived out her dream to go to Chernobyl eats the local fruit gets high off morphine for some reason that I forgot and fills herself happly full of scrumptious Chernobyl radioactive substances-Go on yt not making this shit up .:dunno: :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

PeteK

Reaction score
Just finished watching the finale. They did the blow by blow as expected. Really a crazy story and Dyatlov was such an unrelenting dick about everything. I really enjoyed this mini series. It was quite the eye opener

LP121

Reaction score
Just finished watching the finale. They did the blow by blow as expected. Really a crazy story and Dyatlov was such an unrelenting dick about everything. I really enjoyed this mini series. It was quite the eye opener
I liked it too. I'm glad they gave a rundown of what happened in the years that followed.

strat1701

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought the blow-by-blow went pretty good. What I noticed is how what has been finally proven with what happened and how it really wasn't totally 'operator error' goes against some of those previously made documentaries about it. Case in point this series 'seconds from disaster' That episode (it's on YT but 480p quality) really paints the cause as operator error and really glosses over the design flaw. I stumbled on some what look to be great Russian/Ukrainian documentaries but they're not subtitled and goodle auto translate doesn't do that great a job.

Overall the series was decent, I'd give it a A-, I would have liked to have them do a bit more about the liquidators, and I found it odd they didn't even mention the elephants foot. There was a really good documentary I saw which was about the liquidators and those who are still around and their cyclical health issues as a result, but without them we'd be in a far worse shape probably. All of those guys should have been awarded hero of soviet union status, and many have been iirc.
What's odd, but not that unexpected is that this show has triggered a huge rise in tourism to Prypiat and the reactor. And I'm going to be in Kiev next month, but I will pass on going on the day tour to the reactor. Oddly, they claim the amount of dose from a one day visit there is actually less than what I'll get exposed to on my flight over there! I don't know if they still do tours to the actual reactor 4 control room, but they do have tours to reactor 2 and you can walk on the lid and visit that control room. The new safe containment has probably helped, along with the passage of time, but as long as you're careful not to touch anything and avoid the areas which have higher concentrations they claim you're fine. I dunno. I mean you may not receive as much now, BUT what they don't mention is you probably still have to be wary of the dust in the air. Realize that EVERYTHING around there, soil, trees, animals, rubble, the ferris wheel, etc. ALL of it is exposed and emitting radiation. Absorbing thru the skin is one thing, but breathing in irradiated dust for a day is another. And no, they don't give you masks....As interesting as it would be to take my own photos of it and say I was 'near' it, and see the memorials, I think I'll pass.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your going to Keiv and NOT going to Chernobyl? The whole region is contaminated....

You should go...

Id be there in a flash...

Btw there is a Russian dog adoption service where you supposedly adopt a Pripyat dog....

Wife won’t let me.....

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thought the blow-by-blow went pretty good. What I noticed is how what has been finally proven with what happened and how it really wasn't totally 'operator error' goes against some of those previously made documentaries about it. Case in point this series 'seconds from disaster' That episode (it's on YT but 480p quality) really paints the cause as operator error and really glosses over the design flaw. I stumbled on some what look to be great Russian/Ukrainian documentaries but they're not subtitled and goodle auto translate doesn't do that great a job.

Overall the series was decent, I'd give it a A-, I would have liked to have them do a bit more about the liquidators, and I found it odd they didn't even mention the elephants foot. There was a really good documentary I saw which was about the liquidators and those who are still around and their cyclical health issues as a result, but without them we'd be in a far worse shape probably. All of those guys should have been awarded hero of soviet union status, and many have been iirc.
What's odd, but not that unexpected is that this show has triggered a huge rise in tourism to Prypiat and the reactor. And I'm going to be in Kiev next month, but I will pass on going on the day tour to the reactor. Oddly, they claim the amount of dose from a one day visit there is actually less than what I'll get exposed to on my flight over there! I don't know if they still do tours to the actual reactor 4 control room, but they do have tours to reactor 2 and you can walk on the lid and visit that control room. The new safe containment has probably helped, along with the passage of time, but as long as you're careful not to touch anything and avoid the areas which have higher concentrations they claim you're fine. I dunno. I mean you may not receive as much now, BUT what they don't mention is you probably still have to be wary of the dust in the air. Realize that EVERYTHING around there, soil, trees, animals, rubble, the ferris wheel, etc. ALL of it is exposed and emitting radiation. Absorbing thru the skin is one thing, but breathing in irradiated dust for a day is another. And no, they don't give you masks....As interesting as it would be to take my own photos of it and say I was 'near' it, and see the memorials, I think I'll pass.
Right?

I'll take the tour in VR, from my couch.

strat1701

Premium Member
Reaction score
Your going to Keiv and NOT going to Chernobyl? The whole region is contaminated....

You should go...

Id be there in a flash...

Btw there is a Russian dog adoption service where you supposedly adopt a Pripyat dog....

Wife won’t let me.....

I would be slightly inclined to go but I'm going to Kiev to visit my long time gf's family (she's from Kiev and GTFO of town in 1986 literally 3 days after it happened, went to black sea with relatives) Since I don't think a lot of Ukrainians go on the tour (probably too close to home for them) AND I'd be spending the rest of the time with her and her family there, I don't think they want me getting irradiated and then back to their house! But yeah, there is part of me that 'wants' to go, despite the danger. I do plan on seeing the Maidan square where they held their protests in 2013/14. The Duga Radar is also outside of that area too, a bit farther north and west of the reactor IIRC and they have tours there too.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
here's that video of the control room tour

Awesome Flat Stanley cameo. Better than what we came up with...

I remember Chernobyl happening in real time. I was big into the Cold War and was fascinated by this stuff. It is difficult for people who were raised in the free West to truly understand the pathological lying that is inherent (and necessary) in every aspect of Communism. I thought the show did a remarkably good job of depicting the Communist apparatus at work.

PeteK

Reaction score

Operator error put them in a position where the emergency scram button caused an explosion. They lost control of the reactor prior to that and also ignored regulations that required a minimum number of control rods be inserted at all times. Under normal circumstances, if they scram the reactor, they get a temporary slight increase in power before it drops off. Due to operator error, they were in position where it was a massive surge. But they also seemed unaware of the xenon issue that caused the original power surge, which is even more operator error.