Did you watch Chernobyl?

cjpeck

Reaction score
hell, they ran the rest of that plant up to the year 2000. Imagine having to clock in to work in the next building over. for the next 14 years.

PeteK

Reaction score
hell, they ran the rest of that plant up to the year 2000. Imagine having to clock in to work in the next building over. for the next 14 years.
Yeah that party really shocks me. I was always under the impression the entire area was completely abandoned. Except these dudes go to work there everyday. Do they all look like the elephant man or did they wear a radiation suit
all day or what? I wonder how voluntary it was...

Hamtone

Reaction score
Yeah that party really shocks me. I was always under the impression the entire area was completely abandoned. Except these dudes go to work there everyday. Do they all look like the elephant man or did they wear a radiation suit
all day or what? I wonder how voluntary it was...
They probably were voluntold....

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im no engineer ...

Just an RN who thinks he knows everything...

Arent you an engineer, or work on plants like this?

I just started watching, and was curious to why was the chief so adamant on that kind of core, not being able to explode? Even after you see giant pieces of graphite everywhere

Hamtone

Reaction score
Im no engineer ...

Just an RN who thinks he knows everything...
AHHHH fair nuff. I thought we did have a nuke tech on here, but maybe i am mistaken.

My understanding is, if the core is hot, you dump water and or nitrogen on it, its going to go boom. Then after it blows up, you pump more water into it, you're now allowing plumes of steam and particulate to circulate into the air.

This seems like general 1+1 thinking

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch the discovery channel dramatization. It gives a ton of insight. The crew was being badgered by an asshole boss who was showing off his extreme dickheadedness ....That, on top of the soviet authoritarian leadership model ....

Where one slip could cost you this awesome job ...
So it exposes the entire system as being messed up ...the show shows this “respect” ladder somewhat...

Right Comrade ?

Agree with me or your family gets deported to Siberia.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Watch the discovery channel dramatization. It gives a ton of insight. The crew was being badgered by an asshole boss who was showing off his extreme dickheadedness ....That, on top of the soviet authoritarian leadership model ....

So it exposes the entire system as being messed up ...the show shows this “respect” ladder somewhat...

Right Comrade ?

ill have to check it. I remember the accident clearly, i was about 12 yrs old or so, and remember being scared to death that we'd get a nuke cloud over our house.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have good buddy in the NRC

The control rods are like a throttle. They interrupt the chain reaction thats set on purpose in the reactor. The uranium 235 is the fuel and the graphite Is the control

When the uranium starts get “too warm” they will insert the control rods. The graphite has lead and slows the reaction. Like a throttle.

During the test they had to drop the power output to a low simmer, but they dropped below the limits, then tried to restart ...to-bring it back up but went too fast. They were trying to urge bossman dickhead that if they didn’t drop the rods they will have problems....

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score

Right Comrade ?

For under and hour show the Discovery channel doc was really good.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
The root causes of the accident were poor reactor and systems design and the culture of the old USSR...it seems to me. A better reactor design would have had more safety features designed into it. A better systems design would have included better training for the operators to help them understand the inherent flaws in their reactor, the counter-intuitive way the reactor operated during insertion of the fuel rods and control rods, etc., and better monitoring and control equipment. The culture certainly contributed greatly to the accident as well.

While much of the rest of the world seems to have tried to have standardized on reactor designs during the 1960s and 1870s, the USSR, isolated by it's relations to the west, depended on it's own industry, technology, engineering, design, etc.
The RBMK reactor design chosen for Chernobyl and other sites, was chosen because it was cheap to build and operate, easy to build and would produce a shitload of plutonium for weapons, as well as generate electricity.

DotStudio

Reaction score

The control rods are like a throttle. They interrupt the chain reaction thats set on purpose in the reactor. The uranium 235 is the fuel and the graphite Is the control

When the uranium starts get “too warm” they will insert the control rods. The graphite has lead and slows the reaction. Like a throttle.

During the test they had to drop the power output to a low simmer, but they dropped below the limits, then tried to restart ...to-bring it back up but went too fast. They were trying to urge bossman dickhead that if they didn’t drop the rods they will have problems....
You have most of the basics down, but a few points of clarification: graphite is the moderator, which slows down fast neurons to facilitate the chain reaction. The control rods are boron carbide, a neutron absorber, which is meant to slow (or stop) the reaction.

One of the terrible parts of the design at Chernobyl was that a portion (bottom) of the control rods were graphite, which inserts positive reactivity. So when you try to scram the reactor, you get a momentary power spike.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have most of the basics down, but a few points of clarification: graphite is the moderator, which slows down fast neurons to facilitate the chain reaction. The control rods are boron carbide, a neutron absorber, which is meant to slow (or stop) the reaction.

One of the terrible parts of the design at Chernobyl was that a portion (bottom) of the control rods were graphite, which interests positive reactivity. So when you try to scram the reactor, you get a momentary power spike.
Thats what it was ....

You're correct ... i was giving a quick reference without checking.... my bad

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
The root causes of the accident were poor reactor and systems design and the culture of the old USSR...it seems to me. A better reactor design would have had more safety features designed into it. A better systems design would have included better training for the operators to help them understand the inherent flaws in their reactor, the counter-intuitive way the reactor operated during insertion of the fuel rods and control rods, etc., and better monitoring and control equipment. The culture certainly contributed greatly to the accident as well.

While much of the rest of the world seems to have tried to have standardized on reactor designs during the 1960s and 1870s, the USSR, isolated by it's relations to the west, depended on it's own industry, technology, engineering, design, etc.
The RBMK reactor design chosen for Chernobyl and other sites, was chosen because it was cheap to build and operate, easy to build and would produce a shitload of plutonium for weapons, as well as generate electricity.
The operators were trained well (to soviet standards) but .... well put ... the soviet system was the root cause...

Hamtone

Reaction score

One of the terrible parts of the design at Chernobyl was that a portion (bottom) of the control rods were graphite, which inserts positive reactivity. So when you try to scram the reactor, you get a momentary power spike.
You're the guy with the nuke knowledge?

Why did they feel that it was impossible for their core to let go? That's what i found most puzzling.... so far

PeteK

Reaction score

And they disabled some vital emergency systems. The purpose of the test was to attempt a shutdown with no emergency cooling water pumps. So they had them shut off