Did you watch Chernobyl?

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
the whole thing was due to that director or whatever, demanding that the safety test conditions were met....but the operators were trying to warn him of the power going too low...he didn't listen....and …..well....boom

There is a real good documentary on You Tube, it was discovery channel, but dramatizes the events way better than the series.

I'm going to watch episode 2 tomorrow.

There is a pretty descent Scary/Thriller movie called "Chernobyl Diaries" B movie, but actually pretty good, Filmed in Pripyat … So there are recognizable landmarks...

Then there is this guy....

Which is interesting ...

PeteK

Reaction score
the whole thing was due to that director or whatever, demanding that the safety test conditions were met....but the operators were trying to warn him of the power going too low...he didn't listen....and …..well....boom
It would have been nice if the HBO series had gone into the details of how the accident happened. They pretty much started with the explosion and no details leading up to it. Maybe they figured people don't care about that part and they just want to see the meltdown. It's an interesting approach basically saying we all know this event happened, so let's just start there. Maybe I'm partial since I am a power plant operator, but I would have liked to see the details of how it happened.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
agreed, I wanted to see the cause of the accident.

You get to drive a power plant? That's cool!

It boiled down to a really egotistical leader (who had a sketchy safety record to begin with) ….The 2004 dramatization reminded me of the awesome movie "The Bedford Incident"

Recommended cold war movie....Right up there with "Fail Safe" and Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove" with a smattering of "the Hunt for Red October"....

Chernobyl happened on the day I was discharged from the US Army.....

PeteK

Reaction score

Yeah I started my career operating coal plants. Similar process to a nuke plant other than the heat source is different. Make steam, turn turbine. But when you are operating a boiler that is the size of a 15 story building, there is a potential for failure on a pretty large scale. Obviously without the nuclear fallout.

Now I operate a hydroelectric dam. Much safer and quieter. Though Russia found a way to fuck that up too with the Sayano Shushenskaya incident a few years ago. I like to think that things are built a little better in the US.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
The Soviets were in such a cash crunch that they had nbo choice but try to cut corners whereever they could, Just the little things. Like a containment vessel around the GD reactor!!!!!! If worst come to worst, the containment will prevent massive amounts of radiation to escape. Just insanely stupid stuff. That accident was inevitable with the shit those dumbasses were making

PeteK

Reaction score
The Soviets were in such a cash crunch that they had nbo choice but try to cut corners whereever they could, Just the little things. Like a containment vessel around the GD reactor!!!!!! If worst come to worst, the containment will prevent massive amounts of radiation to escape. Just insanely stupid stuff. That accident was inevitable with the shit those dumbasses were making
Well at least on the HBO show, the Russians constantly claim it is impossible for an RBMK reactor to explode. So why bother building a containment around something to protect from an impossible scenario? That's why I keep wondering are they all just stupid or are they evil or are they lying or what?

One thing that did sort of bother me about episode 2, I watched the after credits "about the episode" and they said the woman from the Institute of Nuclear Whatever was a fictional character who represents hundreds of Russian nuclear physicists who worked on the issue. The director claimed it was to simplify the story or whatever, but they made it look like this one heroic woman saves the day. They could just as easily written her as a representative of the Institute and still said there were hundreds of people involved. Sort of skewing the story a bit there.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Great watching for me. Really captured the 80s last stages of communist regime, still opressing its own people. I remember these years a bit, as i had 5 years in 1986, growing in communist Czechoslovakia. :hmm:

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember when they had the problem at 3 mile island in 79..
Living in Maryland I seem to recall the news made a big deal of it being so close.
Being in my late teens I could have cared less,I was indestructible....:hmm:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I am watching it and I keep googling the details to see if they comport with my memory of the events. I had family in Western Europe when it happened and a few days later there was virtually no fresh produce in Western Europe...

dsmcl77

Reaction score
I didn't wtch Tchernobyl, but I sure had a good inhalation and taste of its radioactive cloud back then. I was 16.
I remember that all was closed down in Switzerland, when for us 160 km away, under the radioactive pass, our governement said all was safe... even if the salads were glowing in the dark.
Still got all my hair well attached to my head though. :fingersx:

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
This site is interesting,, if you haven't seen it.

Kiddofspeed - GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures -
Elena's Motorcyle Ride through Chernobyl

Kidofspeed
my rides through chernobyl area
  • now including a photos of new rides (spring 2004)

Send this Site to a Friend

beginning of a story about town where one can ride with no stoplights, no police, no danger to hit some cage or some dog..

Elena revisits Chernobyl with this updated version of the site and a new addition, "Land of the Wolves"

Chernobyl - Land of the Wolves

Elena's new project, Gulag Tales is now online.
Take a look at Elena's latest project, the Serpent's Wall. A fascinating look at Kiev's history of defending itself with the aid of a wall built most likely during the early 11th century at the request of King Yaroslav(he built upon the fortification work begun under the reign of Volodymyr Svyatoslavovich in the late 10th century). It includes photos documenting the WWII era bunkers that were built into the existing Serpent's Wall.

Ukraine's Orange Revolution
Here is hastily composed photoreportage called "stolen election" it is about social unrest that followed our recent election.

PeteK

Reaction score
The English accents were bad enough, now the coal mines have Scottish ones. :laugh2:

Still a very good show though. Some really nasty scenes in episode 3 in the hospital. Also mother Russia repeatedly sending people to their deaths. What a messed up situation!

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a good episode...

They are finding out that there was a flaw in its design by the interviews.

It should have begun shutting down when they pushed the abort button. The control rods should have slowed/stopped the reaction. But they didn’t...
the reaction continued and bang.

I hope the series goes into tech....

But.....

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score

It boiled down to a really egotistical leader (who had a sketchy safety record to begin with) ….The 2004 dramatization reminded me of the awesome movie "The Bedford Incident"

Recommended cold war movie....Right up there with "Fail Safe" and Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove" with a smattering of "the Hunt for Red October"....

One of my favorite movies that hardly anyone has seen..The ending really hIt the spot.

Last edited:

Hamtone

Reaction score
I thought this was a good episode...

They are finding out that there was a flaw in its design by the interviews.

It should have begun shutting down when they pushed the abort button. The control rods should have slowed/stopped the reaction. But they didn’t...
the reaction continued and bang.

I hope the series goes into tech....

But.....
Arent you an engineer, or work on plants like this?

I just started watching, and was curious to why was the chief so adamant on that kind of core, not being able to explode? Even after you see giant pieces of graphite everywhere

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
At one time, I was gonna change my name on here to the code on the button they last pushed to start the emergency cool down procedure that eventually caused the melt down.
I forget the name of it now....dammit. Watched a really good documentary on it.

PeteK

Reaction score
At one time, I was gonna change my name on here to the code on the button they last pushed to start the emergency cool down procedure that eventually caused the melt down.
I forget the name of it now....dammit. Watched a really good documentary on it.
They mentioned it in episode 3 but I don't remember what it was called. I thought it was the "SCRAM" button but they called it something else. They said right after they pushed the button, the reactor exploded

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Premium Member
Reaction score

I think they're getting to that aspect. To me, it seems they're presenting the series as things happened. IIRC we didn't know about the directives for the test until much later after the accident, and that it could have been avoidable. My guess is the series will hint at it in the next episode, probably do a flash back dramatization, but not say anything about the 'hey he told us to do the test this way' and to disable all the failsafes etc...

I saw some new(er) video on YT and I know they have tours of the place (why you'd willingly go there is beyond me) and they now have the actual control room open and you can go into it, and take your picture behind the control panel for reactor number 4. However the hallway for you to traverse to get to it is lined with lead panels and as people walk you hear the counters getting a little 'hot'.

I also think the new containment has been completed, covering the hastily made sarcophagus which was in real danger of collapsing. Now if the old one collapses, the new arch cover wont' let the dust cloud out which was the fear with the old one. 33yrs later and you still can't get close to that room with the elephants foot, spend 5 mins in it, and you won't make it out! Sure, lets go see the reactor control room!