Did you watch Chernobyl?

PeteK

Reaction score
Just watched the first episode. Pretty good so far other than the English accents.

I kept thinking while watching, were these people stupid or just evil? I think some maybe both. Like no one wanted to admit the reactor exploded even though there are people puking their organs out all around them. Pretty insane

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was looking for that this evening. Not Netflix I guess?!
It’s an interesting piece of history. I’d actually kinda love to see the town.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a series on it but there are several long and detailed walk-throughs of the actual site, on YouTube. Just regular user-created content but very surreal to watch.

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw some of it the other night and man what a terrible thing to go through, people were just melting

Hamtone

Reaction score
Just watched the first episode. Pretty good so far other than the English accents.

I kept thinking while watching, were these people stupid or just evil? I think some maybe both. Like no one wanted to admit the reactor exploded even though there are people puking their organs out all around them. Pretty insane
Totalitarianism, EVERYTHING IS PERFECT NOTHING TO SEE HERE you gov is protecting you, and focused on the common good. If there is a crack in the propaganda, they know their system falls.

^^^ not political talk, just explaining what the USSR and those like that do.

PeteK

Reaction score
I was looking for that this evening. Not Netflix I guess?!
It’s an interesting piece of history. I’d actually kinda love to see the town.
HBO mini series. There's only been one episode so far.

I actually would have liked if they had started a little earlier in the story. Pretty much started with the explosion. I would have liked to see what led up to that. Maybe they'll do a flashback or something

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
I missed about the first 15 minutes but what I saw was good.I thought the guys with the fire hoses was pretty ridiculous though.
A nuclear plant only has 1 good radiation meter and its locked up...:slap:

why did the chicken cross the road in Russia
because it was told too

DeeCee

Reaction score

I don't have Netflix, HBO, ad nauseam. What I do have is a memory of a programme that was produced in the late '80s with actual footage of the attempt to combat the meltdown and escaping radioactive gas. It was quite harrowing to watch men give their lives to try and mitigate the effects of the burning reactor.

Evil? No. Probably incompetence and a badly-designed installation. The human gift of giving one's life so that the reaction could be contained is what should be focused upon.

Kashmir

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent show so far. A great depiction of the insanity that surrounded that whole scenario. Knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Lack of it is even worse. Political stupidity is the worst of all. Trying to see reality as 'fake news' can be deadly.

PeteK

Reaction score
Episode 2 was pretty good. Crazy how they only started evacuating once the news got out to the world.

Also I didn't realize they continued to operate the rest of the plant. I guess if they were continuing with the lie or misbelief that it was not an exposed core they assumed to be safe but who were they kidding? Crazy situation

Last edited:

cjpeck

Reaction score
Episode 2 was pretty good. Crazy how they only started evacuating once the news got out to the world.

Also I didn't realize they continued to operate the rest of the plant. I guess if they were continuing with the lie or misbelief that it was not an exposed core they assumed to be safe but who were they kidding? Crazy situation
hell, they ran the rest of the plant until 2000