Did you know you can't buy a Bob Ross painting?

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
when sitting around smokin weed and someone was flipping thru the tv channels....if we saw Bob....everyone would scream STOP!!! leave it there....

and we would sit there in silence watching him...funny as hell

they should auction one original painting a year with the proceeds goingt to support an art students college fund...

bob would have liked that

great vid btw :h5:
Okay so I am a teenager in class watching this nice looking woman explain math.
I would not have been interested in the math. I am a male teenage full of male hormones
and math is not what I want.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I'd rather have a Bob Ross painting hanging on my wall than something that looks like a 3 year old threw paint into the ceiling fan and it landed in some canvas. Some "high art" is so pretentious I can't even stand it.
Agreed 100% on contemporary painting.

$300 million for de Kooning's Interchange...*

* The huge inflation in prices of 'Fine Art' is driven (in large part) by a need for 'place' where people, entities and sovereign funds can park hundreds of billions of dollars.

THDNUT

Reaction score
My brother has a degree in art from Arizona State. He said that Ross would not have received high grades in an art class at ASU. Ross' paintings are looked at as "low brow" art by the critics much like the velvet Elvis paintings from Mexico.

I always thought Ross paintings were pretty cool.

Thomas Kinkade was another artist that the high brow art critics loved to hate.

1602333981347.png

PeteK

Reaction score
My brother has a degree in art from Arizona State. He said that Ross would not have received high grades in an art class at ASU. Ross' paintings are looked at as "low brow" art by the critics much like the velvet Elvis paintings from Mexico.

View attachment 493380
Meh. Art critics are like music critics. Rolling Stone magazine panned some of the most iconic albums of all time like Led Zeppelin I. Like music, art is so subjective that I never really understood why certain art is considered good just because "art critics" say so

Tone deaf

Reaction score

View attachment 493380
I'd agree that Ross' paintings are schmaltzy. However, that does not mean that they didn't require some serious talent to create. I can recall buying paint knives and the like and trying to "Cut in" a "Happy little tree" here or there, maybe a rock over here... I'm sure I didn't give it enough time nor enough reps, but I couldn't do it with any quality results. I have always sketched and did a little paining, but I'm just a novice. Bob Ross was in complete control of his craft. I take my hat off to him.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No kiddin', if I had trouble falling asleep, I'd put that sucker on and ... BAM, out go the lights.

Not that he's boring, I liked watching him paint, but his voice was like a hit of Trazodone.

PeteK

Reaction score
I think art critics forget that Bob Ross was trying to pass on painting as something enjoyable to do.
And he was very successful at it. I didn't even realize he had an art supply business that is still around, but I'm not surprised. He was such a likeable guy. He was the Mr Rogers of the art community. You can't hate a guy like that

Ed B

Reaction score
He made it look sooooo easy. I'm sure he sold tons of supplies. Everyone who watched the show thought they could do it too. Due to budget. My parents made me stick to paint by numbers.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score

View attachment 493380
Ross painting to teach may not be the same Ross the Artist. He needed to simplify the
process to show techniques; and nicely done.

Did he produce any other paintings other than the ones on his show?

So, would those technique paintings on his show be considered REAL ART? Eye of the
beholder; but I wouldn't spend a dime on any of them.

Latest Threads