Did you know you can't buy a Bob Ross painting?

PeteK

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this video on Youtube and found it interesting. I used to watch the show when I was a kid. Even followed along a few times and painted some landscapes. I never thought about trying to buy a Bob Ross, but why not? There's got to be hundreds or thousands of them out there. But he never sold them.

DavGrape

Reaction score
I'd like one a the one's with a mountain in there.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny. That video came up on my youtube channel as a "suggested" video.

My wife wears Bob Ross socks and shirts all the time. She's an artist and loves him. I always wondered why you couldn't buy a painting. Cool video!! :)

Standard

Reaction score
The show is literally about how to make copies of his paintings....

Seriously though, I think you can buy them when/if they come up for sale. I've read they were sold to benefit pbs, they are in private collections. From what I understand he used to do 3 copies of each, one as a sort of guide placed off camera for him to look at, obviously the ones he painted on the show, and a third slowly painted one with greater detail, specifically for charitable contributions/auctions etc. (Internet info, from several sources but still...)

PeteK

Reaction score
The show is literally about how to make copies of his paintings....

Seriously though, I think you can buy them when/if they come up for sale. I've read they were sold to benefit pbs, they are in private collections. From what I understand he used to do 3 copies of each, one as a sort of guide placed off camera for him to look at, obviously the ones he painted on the show, and a third slowly painted one with greater detail, specifically for charitable contributions/auctions etc. (Internet info, from several sources but still...)
You didn't watch the clip, did you? :laugh2:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I want one with a "Happy little tree." It isn't high art, but having watched him as a kid, I would proudly hang one in my home.

KTM

Reaction score
Gotta like Bob Ross. One of my sisters is a huge fan. I keep meaning to send her a link to these:

judson

Reaction score
when sitting around smokin weed and someone was flipping thru the tv channels....if we saw Bob....everyone would scream STOP!!! leave it there....

and we would sit there in silence watching him...funny as hell

they should auction one original painting a year with the proceeds goingt to support an art students college fund...

bob would have liked that

great vid btw :h5:

PeteK

Reaction score
I want one with a "Happy little tree." It isn't high art, but having watched him as a kid, I would proudly hang one in my home.
I'd rather have a Bob Ross painting hanging on my wall than something that looks like a 3 year old threw paint into the ceiling fan and it landed in some canvas. Some "high art" is so pretentious I can't even stand it.

judson

Reaction score
Gotta like Bob Ross. One of my sisters is a huge fan. I keep meaning to send her a link to these:

so watching that first video of the hot chick.....i learned more in that 10mins than i learned in 6 years of high school....

yeah i said 6 years....3 years in 9th grade were fun :slap:.

PeteK

Reaction score
Used to? Say whaaat?

I still watch him!
I don't have regular tv anymore. I just stream everything. But if I were channel surfing like the old days and I saw his show, I'd watch it

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I don't have regular tv anymore. I just stream everything. But if I were channel surfing like the old days and I saw his show, I'd watch it
Really helps me to relax and go to sleep sometimes when they’re on at 3 am.

Standard

Reaction score
You didn't watch the clip, did you? :laugh2:
I hadn't, but I have now, and I did catch the phrase "nearly all of Bob Ross's paintings". Also I don't know what 1,500 paintings looks like but my guess is that it wouldn't fit in what looks like a 15x12 room. Also when they were talking about the signs of how to spot a real Bob Ross, they didn't say "is it outside of this building? Then it's a fake".

I never said there were huge numbers out there but from what I understand there are a couple floating around that were sold for charity. That may be completely false, but everything you see on the internet from any source whether it be art forums or a well produced video from a major company needs to be taken with a grain of salt

Last edited:

Latest Threads