Did you build a wall ornament or a playable guitar the first time ??

Ornament or AXE

• Ornament

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • AXE

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
(I was using my late younger bro's Gibson GA-17 amp .) I was reading your post about your trip to Toronto recoding session and couldn’t help but comment on this passage.
I hope I’m not getting to personal or dredging up bad memories but I couldn’t skip over that sentence.
The only reason I feel I can say anything at all is that I have lost a brother also.
He was 20 years older than me and super cool he turned me on to jazz , corvettes, all that was cool about the 60’s.
We were just reconnecting in the 80’s when he turned me on to Pat Metheny , Jean luv Ponty on and on ,coming over for dinners and music it was great but he was so unhappy inside due to an extreme chemical imbalance in his brain.
I don’t need to tell you how it turned out for my brother but I didn’t want to skip over you brothers passing I am truly sorry !!!!
When I see an old 63 corvette or put on some jazz on there he is !!!!!! I hope you experience the same.
Dam I’m sappy today!

zulujos

Reaction score
I built a Precision Guitar Kits SG Jr. with a Wolftone P90 and a cocked wah circuit. Seafoam Green finish, black pearl PG and a custom crafted Hei Matau ( probably didn't spell that right but the same as SRV's pendant) in MOP. It's a player! Money for Nothing vibe!

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I am a hobbyist builder at best with very little of the power tools that matter. Curiously my builds are all playable. Some are comfortable, others not so much. My main issue is neck profiles. I tend to make my necks on the thicker side. Think baseball bat necks. And i never get the same profile.
Other issue is finishing. I just use truoil and wotk to an acceptable satin finish. I wish i could do full on spray jobs

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I made two guitars in my first build attempt. They both came out pretty good and I still play them now. Of course I could do a better job now, but I'm still very happy with them.

6Sq5Veg.jpg

ibBVrqL.jpg

l32J26I.jpg

FaG0bFR.jpg

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
As for the Radial Arm saw. In my last shop, I had one dedicated to fretboard slotting. I slotted over 700 necks with that first blade. Amazing it lasted that long; but a good jig locked into place and limited movement of parts, allows very limited wear on the tools/blades. I just kept the blade clean (wipe them down and remove sap, oils etc from the wood). Slotting is where I found it had the most use and that became dedicated for that. I always like the idea of being able to see the cutting tool. Overhead routers, radial arms, bandsaws allow you that luxury. Table saws, router tables etc you have limited visibility of the blade especially until it cuts through the top of the wood where you can see it.

These were cut on that saw many years ago.
70038F99-4035-4FEA-8BDB-13DC2F86B72F_1_105_c.jpeg

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
I made two guitars in my first build attempt. They both came out pretty good and I still play them now. Of course I could do a better job now, but I'm still very happy with them.

6Sq5Veg.jpg

ibBVrqL.jpg

l32J26I.jpg

FaG0bFR.jpg
Beautiful !!!! Gives me some confidence !!!
Thanks Scott

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
As for the Radial Arm saw. In my last shop, I had one dedicated to fretboard slotting. I slotted over 700 necks with that first blade. Amazing it lasted that long; but a good jig locked into place and limited movement of parts, allows very limited wear on the tools/blades. I just kept the blade clean (wipe them down and remove sap, oils etc from the wood). Slotting is where I found it had the most use and that became dedicated for that. I always like the idea of being able to see the cutting tool. Overhead routers, radial arms, bandsaws allow you that luxury. Table saws, router tables etc you have limited visibility of the blade especially until it cuts through the top of the wood where you can see it.

View attachment 616619 Joe a cabinet shop in Florida I worked for had radial arm saw that had to be 80 years old it had sign over it …. Saying “ move the boom and boom go’s your job “

ScotttheScot

Reaction score

View attachment 616619 Joe a cabinet shop in Florida I worked for in had radial arm saw that had to be 80 years old it had sign over it …. Saying “ move the boom and boom go’s your job “
I am a hobbyist builder at best with very little of the power tools that matter. Curiously my builds are all playable. Some are comfortable, others not so much. My main issue is neck profiles. I tend to make my necks on the thicker side. Think baseball bat necks. And i never get the same profile.
Other issue is finishing. I just use truoil and wotk to an acceptable satin finish. I wish i could do full on spray jobs
I use a HPLV turbine sprayer and it’s like using a spray can . There cheep and you don’t need a huge compressor to use it check them out on woodworking sites.
It’s impressive you must have mad skills !
Thanks for your response !!

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
I built a Precision Guitar Kits SG Jr. with a Wolftone P90 and a cocked wah circuit. Seafoam Green finish, black pearl PG and a custom crafted Hei Matau ( probably didn't spell that right but the same as SRV's pendant) in MOP. It's a player! Money for Nothing vibe!
Great I hope I have the same !

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I built a decent, playable 24 fret neck-thru-body SG type on my first go. But I made a mistake and the neck pickup cavity route was too deep for how close it was to the cutaways, and in about a year it broke on one side, and the neck started to slowly collapse into the neck pickup cavity.

So I flipped it over, routed the entire neck-thru assembly right out of the body, and laid in a new neck-thru assembly and shaped it in place. And THAT is still a killer neck with a great profile for a shredder. Arguably it's the best neck I've ever made. And that was in 1987.

I've scrapped TWO guitars since then. But the first one I ever made ended up being a great guitar.

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
I built a decent, playable 24 fret neck-thru-body SG type on my first go. But I made a mistake and the neck pickup cavity route was too deep for how close it was to the cutaways, and in about a year it broke on one side, and the neck started to slowly collapse into the neck pickup cavity.

So I flipped it over, routed the entire neck-thru assembly right out of the body, and laid in a new neck-thru assembly and shaped it in place. And THAT is still a killer neck with a great profile for a shredder. Arguably it's the best neck I've ever made. And that was in 1987.

I've scrapped TWO guitars since then. But the first one I ever made ended up being a great guitar.
What a cool reply… honest and I like how you adapted to make it work.
I’m finding errors compound themselves ,will see if my end product is playable ????
But you know what it’s still a blast we’re ever this build takes me !
If it doesn’t play then I hope it’s pretty to look at lol .
Good luck on your future builds !!!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

What a cool reply… honest and I like how you adapted to make it work.
I’m finding errors compound themselves ,will see if my end product is playable ????
But you know what it’s still a blast we’re ever this build takes me !
If it doesn’t play then I hope it’s pretty to look at lol .
Good luck on your future builds !!!

We showed you ours....now show us yours :)

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today, with the internet and forums like this, you get to share experience and tips like nothing we had in the past. New builders are making better guitars than we ever did in the beginning.

Were it not for the internet I would probably be a former construction worker with a bad back and knees, ringing a cash register at a convenience store for $9.00/hr, and I wouldn't know how to do ANY of the cool stuff I enjoy today, of which building guitars is just one, let alone have a nice shop in which to do them.

Too bad the internet is also ruining the world ;)

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
We showed you ours....now show us yours :)
I’m working on it . I have been splitting my time between building gigs and my guitar witch is a mistake in its self too distracting.
Weather it’s playable or not I will post pictures of the completed guitar

Attachments

• 3EF27D73-F731-4F18-95FD-F3A566044066.jpeg
    3EF27D73-F731-4F18-95FD-F3A566044066.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 7
  • B849FB15-BAF4-4817-833B-4CB435CE4009.jpeg
    B849FB15-BAF4-4817-833B-4CB435CE4009.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 7

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know if that neck is quite ready for frets, but its looking good so far :)

Looks like a jig for routing a binding channel on the left. That looks good to me as well :)

Ripthorn

Reaction score
My first guitar was playable, but didn't sound great and was ugly as sin. I was a senior in high school in the days before there was much of anything on the internet and a kid at school was getting rid of a super cheap strat copy (it was so cheap he was literally going to throw it away). I convinced him to give it to me. I took it home to the shop, completely disassembled it and laid everything out and said "yeah, I can do this". I re-used the neck and all the parts. I had no concept of scale length, action, etc, but I used the old pickguard as a placement template for the neck. I hand chiseled the neck pocket, all routing was done completely freehand, and the design concept was questionable at best (SG/Explorer mashup). Lots of defects, but it was enough for me to get bitten by the bug. It took me several builds before I go to the point where the build quality was any good at all, partly because I never build the same thing twice and I love experimenting.

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
Thanks yeah I’ve been working on tools to help with accuracy in shop and building a guitar at the same time (mistake) but I will keep moving forward on both fronts and maybe if I’m lucky I get the neck right it my be playable when I’m done.
I also made a fret press out of a harbor freight press I need to make a deck and neck rest to finish it up.
So far my guitar tools are ahead of my guitar build but will see.
Thanks for your kind words.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks yeah I’ve been working on tools to help with accuracy in shop and building a guitar at the same time (mistake) but I will keep moving forward on both fronts and maybe if I’m lucky I get the neck right it my be playable when I’m done.
I also made a fret press out of a harbor freight press I need to make a deck and neck rest to finish it up.
So far my guitar tools are ahead of my guitar build but will see.
Thanks for your kind words.

I was considering adapting the harbor freight arbor press as well. Its affordable and from what I can see as its sole job, it does a good job of pressing down on stuff :)

Ive been using my drill press previously, but the arbor press can simply press harder.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
This is a harbor frieght arbor press converted to fret press. Really easy to convert for this use. This one is 15 years old or so...

7AA3D50E-769F-40F9-B59F-49C287A6A3FC.jpeg

Latest Threads