Did Historic hardware change in 2018?

MCT

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone knows whether the hardware on Historics changed ~ 2018, along with other positive changes (turn to Luxe Bees caps, etc)?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Not 100% so will wait for others more in the know than me to chime in, but interested as my R8 is a 2018

I noticed on a few sites that have sold/are selling 2018 R8's that they say Hide glue was used, however I had mine refretted this year and my luthier said that Hide glue was definitely not used on mine. Is now though :)

boola1

Reaction score
Not 100% so will wait for others more in the know than me to chime in, but interested as my R8 is a 2018

I noticed on a few sites that have sold/are selling 2018 R8's that they say Hide glue was used, however I had mine refretted this year and my luthier said that Hide glue was definitely not used on mine. Is now though :)
Do you mean your luther used hide glue for the frets?

The Gibson site says hide glue for all the guitar construction - Neck, fretboard and body joins but not how the frets are glued:

Last edited:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Do you mean your luther used hide glue for the frets?

The Gibson site says hide glue for all the guitar construction - Neck, fretboard and body joins but not how the frets are glued:
Ah Gotcha, that makes sense then. Here's what my luthier reported back after it's refret:

"The fret height was exactly the same as factory but about 40-50% wider, so we could leave the nut as per factory nylon. Frets in, nipped off, levelled, but not across the board, just piecemeal as required. Ends finished over and then a proper setup. I re-slotted the saddles for a better and sharper fit/takeoff, the original frets weren’t seated adequately from the factory. Also the tang wasn’t wide enough to keep that pressure in place either side; the neck kinda needs to be under tension...strings pulling the headstock up and the tight tangs keeping the neck stiff and tight (along with the truss and in general the wood).

Lastly, I like to use hide glue In the slots to fill any voids and generally hold the fret in place. Gibson don’t. There’s always the chance of some movement afterwards...but generally the glue minimises that and again helps with that stiffness thing. Hide glue dries fecking hard. I have to say it is one heck of a guitar and it’s right up there with anything I’ve played. Huge bottom end but no mud. The thing rings out forever."

MCT

Reaction score
What about the stop tailpiece, bridge, brushings, thumbwheels, etc?

ARandall

Reaction score
Ah Gotcha, that makes sense then. Here's what my luthier reported back after it's refret:
Gibson never used hide glue at any point for the frets.....and quite frankly its essentially superfluous. Fish glue is what gibson used in the 50's for sure - it has a way longer open time, cleans up easier and dries essentially the same hardness as hide.

MikeyV

Reaction score
One thing I know that changed between my '14 and '19 models is the bridge, The ends are very round on the '14 and VERY egg shaped on the '19. Looking at a real ABR, those look about in the middle of the two I have.

Cosmetic change, not sure if materials, etc. were changed.
To my eye, all else looks the same.

MCT

Reaction score
One thing I know that changed between my '14 and '19 models is the bridge, The ends are very round on the '14 and VERY egg shaped on the '19. Looking at a real ABR, those look about in the middle of the two I have.

Cosmetic change, not sure if materials, etc. were changed.
To my eye, all else looks the same.
I noticed the same thing on my 2019 R9 as compared to my 2014. That’s what led me to ask the question. My 2019 is a much better playing guitar, and I’m curious to know whether improved bridge/stoptail/etc contributed to this.

boola1

Reaction score
ps, refret after less than 2 years. That is clearly a great guitar :) backed up by what your luthier said. Well done :dude:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
ps, refret after less than 2 years. That is clearly a great guitar :) backed up by what your luthier said. Well done :dude:
I tried hard to get on with the small skinny R8 frets but just couldn't. It plays like a different guitar now

Latest Threads