Did Gibson stop Nitro finishes on stock models?

canal_digger

Reaction score
I'm eying a late 90's (1997) LP Custom in Alpine White, but not sure if it has the nitro finish. I recall someone saying they stopped using nitro on stock models and the Alpine White no longer ages or shows patina over to cream/yellow.

At this time, it looks like it hasn't really changed (after 12 years?). I don't want to purchase this guitar if it will never get to that awesome aged look. Any idea if/when they switched at the factory so I know where to draw the line in the hunt for a sweet white LP custom? Thanks

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whoever told you that Gibson stopped using nitrocellulose lacquer is incorrect. That 97 studio you are looking at definately has a nitro-lacquer finish. Why is it not yellow yet? That all depends on how the guitar has been treated it's entire life so far. Sounds like it sat in a case or gigbag most of the time. I have a 92 LP that now is the color of a banana, but that's because I have had it in hundreds of smokey bars.

canal_digger

Reaction score
Inside Guy,

So this '97 Custom in Alpine White (I wonder have they always called it Alpine Whte and not just White?) should have the potential to discolor over time, given the "right" circumstances (smoke, UV rays, etc.)? Thanks for clarifying.

JCM223

Reaction score
Yes. Perhaps you're confused with the amount of plasticizers put into the paint recently?

canal_digger

Reaction score
That might be it... I was told the newer ones don't turn that nice patina like they used to, but then again I don't know anyone that has an older LP in Alpine White.
I do have a nice '73 LP Custom in Cherry Sunburst that has character, but an aged White really looks awesome (IMHO).

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the aged white is probably the most dramatic change of all the finishes, and yes. it rocks. I have an alpine white custom that doesnt get much work, and its a 2007. Its still snow white and probably will be for many years.

Latest Threads